Scotland

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Scotland

Post by Kwacky »

Does anyone have any idea what the effect will be on the rest of the UK if Scotland leaves, or is everyone guessing?

I've read a few reports but from what I can make out any differences for either side will be marginal and it'll take a while before the effects show.

And who gets to keep Hadrian's Wall?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Scotland

Post by Perkles »

i still dont get how they can leave they havent got a currency even though they think they have
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

It's all just a waste of time and money. They won't vote to leave, plus based on what I've read they would not be particularly viable.

It also amuses me that they threaten to not pay their share of the national debt. Any British government that allowed that would be committing economic suicide.

It will all be chip paper after that referendum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I think most people are so fed up with Westminster that they may well choose to become independent but it will just mean you have feckwits making decisions in Edinburgh rather than Westminster.

The whole of the western world is so deep in debt i am not sure politicians have much control in making economic decisions now anyway. They have to listen first and foremost to those lending them the money to stop the Country going bust.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Scotland have been told that they would be given a very high credit rating so borrowing money won't be an issue.

I strongly suspect that the Yes vote is relying on the Braveheart stance taken by many young Scots who fail to appreciate what the union means. I've been in Scotland and had idiots going on an Anti English rant at me but they can't go beyond the "you bastards stole my country" line.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Borrowing money might not be a problem, paying back however............................. :D

I'd put money on there being a Europe-wide wealth tax being instigated, possibly overnight, at some point.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I don't think it'll do either country any good if the split occurs, but I've yet to see any hard evidence from either side as to whether it can work or not. The only hard fact I can see is that Alex Salmond is more interested in a place in history than what is good for Scotland or Britain as a whole. I think the way the Holyrood construction and the Edinburgh tram project were managed should speak volumes about the abilities of that group of people.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

If they vote yes could we invade and reclaim Scotland the day after?
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:Borrowing money might not be a problem, paying back however............................. :D

I'd put money on there being a Europe-wide wealth tax being instigated, possibly overnight, at some point.

France already has one. All it does is make them all hide their money, usually in cash (smirk) (facepalm)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

C00kiemonster wrote:
duke63 wrote:Borrowing money might not be a problem, paying back however............................. :D

France already has one. All it does is make them all hide their money, usually in cash (smirk) (facepalm)
That's why they would have to do it overnight, like they did in Cyprus. There is a bigger picture for them to consider in that were one large country to go bust then they would lose all their accumulated wealth anyway.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I say let them be independant. **** them all off. They can go have the Euro, pay for their own health and further education and use their own language....

In all honesty, I dont know enough, but I am sure it would be far worse for Scotland than it would be for UK.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

duke63

Post by duke63 »

can they hurry up and make up their mind? I was listening to Five Live this morning and had to turn it off as it was full of arseholes thinking they have all the answers about how to make an independent Scotland work....except of course the money to do it with.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No one knows what's going to happen. If they do go independent they could rip themselves apart within a few years. The cities cost a fortune to run, the highlands won't want to support the urban areas.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

..and all the major employers will run a mile unless the tax regime is identical ( or better which can't happen) than England.

And if you are going to have to have the same rules and regulations why bother with all this independence rubbish? I wonder just how much it has all cost to date?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

My worry is how it will effect us and what sh1t we will end up baling out.

I m going America later in the year and buying my currency already just in case the pound crashes on the back of jockland going independent and failing on their debt to the uk.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Also worth betting on ftse companies at present IMO, when the scots vote to stay in the union (which I bet they will) then the ftse will start to rise significantly IMO. The stock market hates uncertainty.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

I hope they stay but fear they will go, but if they do go I feel it will be a big mistake for the Scots but less of a problem for us here.

I could liken it to a teenager wanting to leave home and look forward to making all their own decisions without the guidance of parents. That is until they are out there on their own and it's not long before they start knocking on the door to come home

What will happen to Polaris programme and all the workforce ? isn't it based near Clyde? will it have to make its way back down here and relocate its work force.?

What currency will it adopt and how long if the vote to leave will it take to implement .? What will we all be called as United Kingdom seems a little OTT if it happens

I think the Uk as a whoile should have been involved in the debate as well as it affects us all.

Still too many questions unanswered with so little time
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

C00kiemonster wrote:Also worth betting on ftse companies at present IMO, when the scots vote to stay in the union (which I bet they will) then the ftse will start to rise significantly IMO. The stock market hates uncertainty.
That is very true, before the Iraq invasion all the stock markets were falling, at least when the first strikes started to happen they started to stabilise
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

I think most has been said already the guy is looking for a place in history what cost this must be costing us all is silly when there are people suffering in out own country homeless etc.. And they can justify spending money on this sort of shit makes me angry.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.