Heart Attack Scary News

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Heart Attack Scary News

Post by Blade »

Just finished a first aid course which was really enjoyable but got some scary news I wasn't expecting which has really made me look at my life and health.

I was talking to the para medic who was instructing us and he is certain what happened to me a few weeks ago was a small heart attack and I need to heed the warning.

I was working alone on night shift in a remote location and had vice like crushing pains in my chest that completely immbolised me and was something I have never ever or ever do want to experience again.

After describing the attack and my symptoms the para medic really shocked me saying it was a small heart attack. Working alone if it had been more serious god knows the outcome. My colleagues did diagnosis the problem at the time but I dismissed there diagnosis of gay cancer as unlikely, haha.

All joking a side I have been extremely busy and stressed at work and home for as long as I can remeber and I really have taken a reality check on what's important to me.

At 42 I really didn't expect this would happen to me and at the timely genuinely never took it very serious buy that has all now changed.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Heart Attack Scary News

Post by Kwacky »

Are you going to get some check ups?

I know you exercise. What's your diet like?
Blade

Post by Blade »

I m not tbh Kwacky. Its pointless IMO and I reckon I just need to slow everything down. I haven't exercised for years and diet is not bad but also not great so two key areas I will look at in addition to stopping stressing and worrying about everything. I reckon this is all a doc would say anyway. I know people will see as stupid not getting checks but I might not be able to do my remote location work if I get this on my records so want to avoid that. If it happens again I will get checks then.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That's all fair enough.

You do seem to be on the go all the time. You do more in a day off than I do all weeks.

Kwacky's infamous "Don't Worry" courses run throughout the year.

I know they sound poncy and new age but have you thought about doing a relaxatioon course? My wife is a worry bucket. She was sceptical but went and it's really helped her.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

thats not good news mate, hopefully like you say youve caught it earlier enough to do something about it, I hear thrashing motorbikes at high speed is good to de stress ;)
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

What is needed blade is more you time more time de stressing on the bike :-)
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Shit mate, that's well scary! Whilst I understand not wanting to get checked, you aren't giving yourself the chance to get treated for something that's probably easily fixed. I also imagine you will worry yourself sick till you get checked. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Heart-atta ... nosis.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let us know if you fancy a ride out or something?
I'm sure it's nothing but it'd be nice to know for sure. All the best mate.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Gay cancer :D :D

However in all seriousness now is the time to start making changes. The key is to realise what is important and what to care about. I've had to do the same over a few years now and it is possible, but do it step by step.

My stress (a few years ago now) ended up with massive stomach ulcers and internal issues. Stress is a mental and physical condition.

I would also have a word with your GP and get your vital statistics checked. Next time might not be a little one. Life is too short to worry about the consequences.

I'll see you next month so we can give you some mate therapy :D In the meantime, as you've rightfully already identified, you need to knock a few things on the head or get the wife to do them and forget a few unnecessary things. Does she pull her weight? She will surely help you through this.

The best stress relief is exercise, even if it's 30 mins on the treadmill. Makes a world of difference.

Take care buddy.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Can't really add much to what the others have said Blade, other than the obvious, you might not get a chance to have it checked out if it happens again. Stay safe.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Deegee wrote:you might not get a chance to have it checked out if it happens again.
In a nutshell!
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

mindfullness can really help with the stresse and strains of life ,give it a try it works wonders.The body has a way of telling you to slow down ,take head of its warning
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

It sounds like stress and taking on too much workload is a problem a lot of us have. Take it easy for a while, Blade. We do forget the art of doing feck all and relaxing for a while. If you are working hard there is no shame in taking a relaxing break now and again even whilst at home.

Having been away and chilling 100% for a week, it has made me realise again how much pointless stressing and worrying i do for work and how much it affects my health on a daily basis. I have times where i just say stuff it and then everyone starts piling stuff on to me again with short turn around times. I think i need to up my charge out rates again for some clients. If they don't like it they can go and find someone else to do it.

Kwacky's point about going on relaxation courses or seeing a health therapist now and again is a good one. I've been doing it for a few years now and it is a good way of rebalancing the mind and soul for a while.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Blade wrote:
Kwacky wrote:Are you going to get some check ups?
I m not tbh Kwacky. Its pointless IMO and I reckon I just need to slow everything down..
I don't understand this ^^ Blade.?

You may be concerned that they may tell you something you don't want to know, but that is no real reason not to find out IMHO mate.?

A stitch in time... ??
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Hope you get chance to chill and relax a bit and leave that gay cancer in the past.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers for all the comments.

I have had my vital stats done by para medic yesterday and all OK. I suffer cholesterol which is hereditary so nothing I can do in that area, believe me I have tried. I will make the changes I need to and don't need a doctor to tell me the obvious tbh. I know why it happened so need to focus on lifestyle changes asap to prevent re occurrences.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Sorry to hear this bud and i went through a similar situation in 2010 with chest pains and short of breath, cut a long story short within a hour I'm in city road birmingham with wires and tubes all over me, my main problem was stress from work so fortunately having a boss who was also a friend I changed my managerial position at work, don't get me wrong as you know mate I still get my fair of shite from work but on a much smaller scale.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Jeez mate, scary stuff. Glad to hear your ok though (y)
Blade wrote:I know why it happened so need to focus on lifestyle changes asap to prevent re occurrences.
You know your body mate, so you know what it's trying to tell you. Take it easy and I hope things sort themselves out. But as has already been said, get your arse out on that bike and enjoy life. There is no better therapy than riding a bike, especially when it's a litre v-twin with attitude ;) ;)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I have always said the bike is my way of chill'n - its not I am afraid, I love riding and I think I am relaxed, but the body is on full alert regardless of what we all think.

I use meditation, not sitting around chanting, but I take time out listen to various tracks of soothing mediation, proper breathing, clearing the mind of all the rubbish from the day actually works.

I normally fall asleep while I do it, ha ha but it is my way of relaxing and ridding me of all the shit that I have had to absorb through out the day.

All the best which ever course of action you choose to do to reduce the levels of stress in your life. I took a few months out at the start of the year for the exact reasons, I could feel things going on in my body, so I acted on it.

Nothing wrong with doing absolutely nothing every so often. We are a long dead as they say.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Mate, go and get a cardio check-up. There is plenty to be gained. Heart attacks, even small ones damage heart tissue. It'd be worth knowing if that damage needs intervention. There may be an underlying cause of the heart attack that needs attention.

My father in law had a bad heart attack in his 40's after a couple of smaller attacks. Now in his 60's he's recently had a pacemaker fitted, and before that a triple bypass. He wishes he'd been more concerned at the start.

It's worth the check up. If it was a heart attack there will be evidence to confirm that. It's worth knowing.

If you don't, I'll come over and twist your nipple till you give (devil)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
beermonster
Your Bike: Between two wheeled victims

Post by beermonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:Mate, go and get a cardio check-up. There is plenty to be gained. Heart attacks, even small ones damage heart tissue. It'd be worth knowing if that damage needs intervention. There may be an underlying cause of the heart attack that needs attention.

My father in law had a bad heart attack in his 40's after a couple of smaller attacks. Now in his 60's he's recently had a pacemaker fitted, and before that a triple bypass. He wishes he'd been more concerned at the start.

It's worth the check up. If it was a heart attack there will be evidence to confirm that. It's worth knowing.

If you don't, I'll come over and twist your nipple till you give (devil)
(f1)

I know you're a stubborn git Blade (in the best possible way! :D ) but for what it's worth I agree with our man in the Timor Sea. Whatever you do though, I hope you do reduce your stress levels, it's been obvious from your posts that you've been massively under it recently so that has to change. Take care buddy.