Weekend plans

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Weekend plans

Post by Blade »

Work, a little disturbed sleep, Work, a little disturbed sleep, repeat cycle............................................ (gah)
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Blade wrote:Work, a little disturbed sleep, Work, a little disturbed sleep, repeat cycle............................................ (gah)
Feel for you Dude, I'm working all weekend but I'll at least get some sleep.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Work, a little disturbed sleep, Work, a little disturbed sleep, repeat cycle............................................ (gah)
Night shift I take it Blade? I know some people can't do it but I swear by earplugs for daytime sleep. That and restavit on occasion.

I'm still swinging back from my night shifts, hence been wide awake since 5 am surfing the net on my phone.
Last edited by kiwikrasher on 25 Jul 2014, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yeah spot on, the dreaded night shift. Cheers for the suggestion on earplugs which I always use and also nytol too.

Have you tried the 16 hour fast coming off night shift I really find it helps.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Yeah spot on, the dreaded night shift. Cheers for the suggestion on earplugs which I always use and also nytol too.

Never heard of it?? If it's what I think it says, you've got to deal with hunger as well as sleep deprivation?!?

I used to come off nights fine at the refinery, only ever 2-3 in a row. But 3 weeks straight offshore has been a different kettle of fish. The worst bit is traveling home straight off shift. Means that I go 30 hrs without seeing a bed and if I'm lucky catch a few hours intermittently on the plane.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Mate of mine always reckoned getting totally hammered was the answer, he'd tried sleep deprivation, eating, starving etc, but eventually went to sleep at the correct time rat-arsed, woke up with a hangover but at the right time, somehow seems to reset the body clock, well his one anyway. :D
Blade

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Blade wrote:Yeah spot on, the dreaded night shift. Cheers for the suggestion on earplugs which I always use and also nytol too.

Never heard of it?? If it's what I think it says, you've got to deal with hunger as well as sleep deprivation?!?

I used to come off nights fine at the refinery, only ever 2-3 in a row. But 3 weeks straight offshore has been a different kettle of fish. The worst bit is traveling home straight off shift. Means that I go 30 hrs without seeing a bed and if I'm lucky catch a few hours intermittently on the plane.
Effectively you eat nothing and taking on board no caffiene or other source of stimulants for 16 hours before you want your body clocking swung round.

They reckon your body has two body clocks. One regulated by daylight and one regulated by hunger. If you fast for 16 hours you effectively swing your hunger body clock around from night shift to dayshift immiediately and don't wake up in the middle of the night expecting your lunch when your coming off nights.

Apparerently its very popular with long haul pilots who travel across mulitple time zones.

I was really sceptic but it works for me, might be worth a try and its not as bad as it sounds if you pig out before you start. The hardest part for me is not the hunger its the not having a cup of tea for 16 hours (blush)
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Hardest bit for me would be not hitting the bar at the qantas lounge while waiting for my Sydney flight. In fact, I'd rather take a few extra days to swing around than give up a drink post 3 weeks dry!!

I did avoid caffeine all day on my travel day and that did seem to help. I even fell asleep on the helicopter which I've never done before.

Deegee, I use that technique a bit just not so hard. Thursday was my first day back, had 3-4 drinks in the evening, hit the wall at 7. Downed a sleeping tablet and slept for 12 hrs! Should've taken one last night and I would've slept longer this morning, but 5am wake up is almost back to normal!
Blade

Post by Blade »

You fast on the last night shift that you are working. So no meals on shift.

When you hit the beach your back on day time so fasting over, your hunger body clock is swung round and you can smash the fook out of the bar.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Well, it wasn't my weekend plan per se, but I worked until 5am due to people not being able to stay at home when they drink and instead insist on driving and ultimately crashing...

Then my Dad wakes me up at 9am to help him with a project around their house. Watching him struggle with cardiac perfusion problems and constantly deny it is frustrating, and sobering because I realize my time left with him is in all likelihood, fairly short.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

Rockingham Thundersport.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Night shifts are always a bugger.

I used to work on a mental health unit as a bank nurse many moons ago and it was 1 on 1 off x3 .
I spent 2 years as a zombie especially with 2 sproglets under 5

Had to finish modernising the hen house this weekend so no bike for me, plus the weather was a bit warm for the kit. Not sure about anyone else but I tend to lose concentration in the heat....... but I did book a 2 day trip whale watching in a few weeks which sounds interesting
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
jlawie
Your Bike: Daytona 600 2004

Post by jlawie »

Cavetroll87 wrote:ok mate if you change your mind let me know ;) they are a bit small at the moment tho
Bit smaller than our guy!