Out of date food

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Re: Out of date food

Post by bb41 »

No waste in my house, it goes in the hen or in the dogs after me.

Mind you living on your own it's a lot easier.

I am very picky about where my food comes from . I won't go anywhere near KFC or food chain establishments as I believe it to be mostly Halal or Kosher meat.

They can protest the knife is sharp and a prayer is said but that's not the way for me . I'm not into religion but I do care enough how the animals have been raised wherever possible.

Probably why I live on fish and chocolate cake
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I'd go, absolutely... I hate seeing stuff wasted, virtually all of our left overs get reused in other meals.

I'm also a funny one for dairy, but recently I've been having smoothies for breakfast. I managed to keep using a pot of 100% natural yoghurt for 5 days past it's best before date. It smelt and tasted fine, and trust me it had no repercussions. I do think that a lot of these labels are placed for absolute, don't sue us, worst case scenario..
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

My lad is a Head Chef and is laid back about everything except dairy oddly, daren't tell him I was using double cream in soups that was nearly a week over date. Didn't get ill though.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

I'm totally of the "hate waste, never throw it away" opinion. When it is utterly inedible, then it gets fed to the dog, or the cats, or the horse.

eg.: Fresh steak.? Frankly I prefer mine matured, far better texture & flavour.

As D6Nutz points out, the dates are mainly a "cover their backs" ploy. Makes me laugh when you see the mineral water promoting how it has been filtered by nature & taken hundreds of years to filter through rocks before it was bottled. Then it has a use by date on it FFS.?????
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

Kwacky wrote: Anything we don't use or eat goes into the compost.
We have a 'food waste collection bin' in the house which is bagged up and collected by the binmen every week .... good old Wolverhampton Council (y)

I go on look and smell ... if it looks wrong/off then I wont eat it ...

What does bug me is the Fun Adjuster will cut off the crusts on the Spudlets School butties :^
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

StMarks wrote:Makes me laugh when you see the mineral water promoting how it has been filtered by nature & taken hundreds of years to filter through rocks before it was bottled. Then it has a use by date on it FFS.?????
There is a reason for that:
The fact of the matter is… Bottled water may be hurting your health. A new study suggests plastic bottles release small amounts of chemicals over long periods of time. The longer water is stored in plastic bottles, the higher the concentration of a potentially harmful chemical, a new study suggests.
The research involved 132 brands of bottled water from 28 countries produced in containers made from polyethylene terephthalate, or PET.
Research found that the concentration of certain chemicals, such as antimony, increases the longer the water sits in the plastic bottle. It increases over time because the plastic is leaching chemicals into the water. Antimony is a white metallic element that in small doses can cause nausea, dizziness and depression. In large doses, it can be fatal. Antimony is similar chemically to lead. It is also a potentially toxic trace element.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Godzilla wrote:
StMarks wrote:Makes me laugh when you see the mineral water promoting how it has been filtered by nature & taken hundreds of years to filter through rocks before it was bottled. Then it has a use by date on it FFS.?????
There is a reason for that:
The fact of the matter is… Bottled water may be hurting your health. A new study suggests plastic bottles release small amounts of chemicals over long periods of time. The longer water is stored in plastic bottles, the higher the concentration of a potentially harmful chemical, a new study suggests.
The research involved 132 brands of bottled water from 28 countries produced in containers made from polyethylene terephthalate, or PET.
Research found that the concentration of certain chemicals, such as antimony, increases the longer the water sits in the plastic bottle. It increases over time because the plastic is leaching chemicals into the water. Antimony is a white metallic element that in small doses can cause nausea, dizziness and depression. In large doses, it can be fatal. Antimony is similar chemically to lead. It is also a potentially toxic trace element.
Its worse if you leave the water bottle in a car in warm weather as the chemicals leach a lot faster.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

(sweat) So it seems we can even "process" water, and make it harmful. Is there no end to Human's drive.?

I guess that water is safer from glass bottles then.?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Best thing to do with water is to pour it from a tap into a container then keep it in the fridge.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I wonder if fizzy drinks etc would cause this process to happen quicker? (puke)
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I don't need bottled water either. I have taps and the water appears out of it like my owwn Peckham spring.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Ironically our tap water is rank, so I fill glass bottles from the Buxton spring and keep them in the fridge.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I buy bottle water at work as the water that comes out the tap smells and tastes of bleach and has bits floating it it so not all that appealing but at home I just drink tap water
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I use one of those brita water thingys
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Cavetroll87 wrote:I buy bottle water at work as the water that comes out the tap smells and tastes of bleach and has bits floating it it so not all that appealing but at home I just drink tap water
It must be a "work thing". The same with me, the water is disgusting. Not like bleach, but it leaves a taste & makes you feel ill & more thirsty (don't know how that works.?).
Fwiw I fill up bottles from the tap at home (where the water tastes lovely) & take that with me. Yes, I have lived in Yorkshire for a long time now haven't I.! :?
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I'm lucky, we have a chilled water dispensor at work.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I sometimes take water with me but as I normally ride the bike in I don't like having the weight in my backpack so would rather just spend 50p and but it there lol
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Cavetroll87 wrote:I sometimes take water with me but as I normally ride the bike in I don't like having the weight in my backpack so would rather just spend 50p and but it there lol
There is an old Yorkshire proverb (now ;) ).: 250 working days @ .50p per day = 1x trackday. (nod)
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Fair comment