The beginning of the end for cigarette manufacturers?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: The beginning of the end for cigarette manufacturers?

Post by Deegee »

Similar story to Kiwikrasher, Mum & Dad smoked from the age of 14, I didn't realise till I moved out how much it reeked, they continued until their 70's, but Dad had a blood circulation issue in a calf muscle, he was told point blank that they would not treat him unless he packed it in, he stopped for a year but my Mother wouldn't as she "enjoyed it too much", inevitably he started again.

Another couple of years and he was told by the Doctor "You can smoke, or you can have legs" they turned to my Mother and said "you can smoke with him or be pushing his wheelchair everywhere after we amputate his legs". Stark choice, but they both packed it in cold turkey the next day.

Another few months on and they had to completely redecorate their home because of the stink, - they asked me if it had been that bad when we were kids, in fairness I didn't really notice it as a child because smoking was the norm, all my friends homes were the same, after I had moved out however it was a totally different thing, visiting her house made me feel sick with the stink and required every thing I wore during that visit to be thrown straight into the wash and myself into the shower. Telling her that reduced her to tears.

I am quite happy for people to go to hell in their own way, be it fags, booze, cars, bikes etc but it would be very pleasant for us non-smokers to not have to have smoke wafting over us, and for time taken to "pop outside for a ciggie" to have to be made up at the end of a day. After all fairs fair.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Oh dear I am going to be ostracised by many ;(

I smoke and have done for many years sadly. I do know the consequences and any smoker who doesn't is delusional.

Would I love to pack in ? yes I would love someone to wave a magic wand and tomorrow I'd wake up a non smoker with no cravings

I don't smoke in the main part of my house, and have a purpose built room for such anti social vices. In there I have no TV just my pc and a wood burner in winter so I don't openly invite people into my domain.

I have 2 children, one anti smoker and one smoker , my Dad smoked but my Mum doesn't and yet she has had a lung cancer tumour removed recently . My Dad died young but not from a smoking related illness

As for work, I always arrive half hour early and stop at 11.00 and have a quick drag then after lunch at 4 but then everyone stops at these times too. I am fully aware that I'm paid to work and not nip out for a fag. (I smoke on my way home at lunch in my car ).

I am also fully aware how anti social it is and feel like a leper whenever I light up, but for the life of me I can't . I've tried everything but the will power is just not there.

My children don't live at home but even when they did I didn't smoke in the house full stop.

I'm not sure of the financial standings regards revenue etc but by putting the price up will still not stop people they will just buy dodgy imports

If I could find a solution I would, but as I don't go out to the pub or anything, one of my guilty pleasures in the evening is a glass of wine and a ciggie

The e cig wasn't for me at all, I hated it , patches gave me an allergic reaction so not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions gratefully received
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

bb41 wrote:Oh dear I am going to be ostracised by many ;(

I smoke and have done for many years sadly. I do know the consequences and any smoker who doesn't is delusional.

Would I love to pack in ? yes I would love someone to wave a magic wand and tomorrow I'd wake up a non smoker with no cravings

I don't smoke in the main part of my house, and have a purpose built room for such anti social vices. In there I have no TV just my pc and a wood burner in winter so I don't openly invite people into my domain.

I have 2 children, one anti smoker and one smoker , my Dad smoked but my Mum doesn't and yet she has had a lung cancer tumour removed recently . My Dad died young but not from a smoking related illness

As for work, I always arrive half hour early and stop at 11.00 and have a quick drag then after lunch at 4 but then everyone stops at these times too. I am fully aware that I'm paid to work and not nip out for a fag. (I smoke on my way home at lunch in my car ).

I am also fully aware how anti social it is and feel like a leper whenever I light up, but for the life of me I can't . I've tried everything but the will power is just not there.

My children don't live at home but even when they did I didn't smoke in the house full stop.

I'm not sure of the financial standings regards revenue etc but by putting the price up will still not stop people they will just buy dodgy imports

If I could find a solution I would, but as I don't go out to the pub or anything, one of my guilty pleasures in the evening is a glass of wine and a ciggie

The e cig wasn't for me at all, I hated it , patches gave me an allergic reaction so not sure what else to do.

ride your bike more and come on a track day with us :D
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Perkles wrote:
bb41 wrote:

ride your bike more and come on a track day with us :D
Have been known to wobble round in the novice group and would love to do some more, but sadly sold my van and my track back.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing !!
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Nicotine is incredibly addictive. I can go for months without a ciggie but I get really bad cravings when I have a drink. I know my hangover is worse if I've smoked the night before.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:Nicotine is incredibly addictive. I can go for months without a ciggie but I get really bad cravings when I have a drink. I know my hangover is worse if I've smoked the night before.
Nicotine is an odd drug, it is very addictive yet it has a very short period to overcome the physical addiction to smoking. From memory I seem to recall that it only takes 24 hours or so with no nicotine to break the physical addiction. The mental addiction is far harder.

When I quit I used some prescription drugs that basically simulated a nicotine overdose and kept you in that state for over a month. Believe me that is a very effective way of breaking the mental addiction cycle. At the time I quit I had been smoking for over 10 years and was regularly smoking in excess of 30 a day.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti