Thanks Teachers

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Thanks Teachers

Post by Kwacky »

That's a day I need to book off work to look after my kids because you've decided it's time for another strike.

But hey, dare I ever want to take my child out of class for a day. I could go to jail for that.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Re: Thanks Teachers

Post by Monty »

Kwacky wrote:But hey, dare I ever want to take my child out of class for a day. I could go to jail for that.
Not sure you can blame them for that. This is about meeting Ofsted minimum attendance figures.

But it is decking annoying!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

But the schools have the say in allowing your request to take a child out of school.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Yes and Ofsted lower the School's rating on attendance figures. They can only work within the rules.

Will had 4 days off sick and we got texts from the School asking when he was coming back. The School is graded as outstanding and you need a very high attendance to keep that rating.

I wouldn't be a teacher for any money at the moment with that wazock in charge.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

As per Monty's point, If you want to blame someone blame that f*ckwit Gove, he is the one that is ramming through an agenda that is driving seasoned, quality teachers out of schools and into anything else - I met one who is now a builder because he was ready for the rubber room if he'd stayed in the job.
Tbh the one day strike is pointless, it is a minor inconvenience in the great scheme of things, a week however is another matter altogether and may make him actually listen to somebody other than the man in his mirror. Notice if you will the timing of the strike, no student will suffer due to preparation for exams etc, knowing what I do about the way our school has been mismanaged c/o Ofsted and the County Council Education Authority, Education as a whole would be better served being as far away from the politicians as it is possible to get.

Fwiw I also think that as a Professional body the Teachers are perceived as being too nice and too wet to be taken seriously by Gove et al.
Binno
Your Bike: Hayabusa dogs dangly

Post by Binno »

Kwacky wrote:That's a day I need to book off work to look after my kids because you've decided it's time for another strike.

But hey, dare I ever want to take my child out of class for a day. I could go to jail for that.

If you don't like it teach your kids yourself.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Bit hard for me to give up work seeing as I bring in 80% of the money in the Kwacky house.

The kids year end disco is this Thursday after school. My daughter and her mates were looking forward to it as this is there last chance to get together before they go to their new schools. That's been canceled. That might be minor for some but my daughter is devastated.

As for Gove he's not got a clue.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Things like this are one of the reasons I gave up being a school governor.

Times are tough and in the great scheme of things the teaching world has got off VERY lightly compared to most of the rest of the public sector and most certainly the rest of the working public.

They need to change the law on strike action for all so that it only goes ahead with at least 51% of the balloted members voting for a strike.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Can't you just say your kids have swine flu, and take them on holiday?

I'd be annoyed by this if I had kids too.

There was a head teacher in LEicestershire that was allowed to go to Brazil to watch the football during school term. Caused a bit of an uproar locally apparantly.
Monty

Post by Monty »

It's unbelievable what that Ass is doing to schools and teachers through ofsted. My eldest 6 now but 5 at the time was showing signs of dislexcia (no I can't spell it either) and I went to meet with his phonics teacher. While I was sat outside the office waiting I was going through his phonics books reading his teachers comments. It was full of sentences like "Great work Will, brilliant use of a split infinitive"

At the end of the meeting I asked her directly if the notes she made were actually comunuicated to Will or was it just more ofsted BS. She nodded her head slowly and said "I couldn't possibly say".

I'm fairly certain I didn't know what a split infinitive age 5, nor did I need to. I only know now because I looked it up after the meeting.

Schools are being ripped a part by shite like this, and it's only getting worse. Gove is talking about IQ tests at 4, an age where just one year is a quarter of their life. They are already streaming kids at 5 and above.

The man is a buffoon, and that's being very kind. I just hope that the good teachers and there are many of them can hang in there long enough.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I often smile at the Facebook updates when people have been to a parents' evening. Don't these tools realise teachers aren't allowed to say anything negative about pupils these days?

It's all crap. Look at the Nordic system. They let kids develop before worrying about testing them. They don't start writing until they're accomplished at reading.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Problem is ,Monty, that neither the government nor the Unions are really interested in giving the children a top education.

They are both acting in their own interests or the interests of their members in the case of the Unions.

There are some first class teachers out there who are not being given the tools to teach effectively and there are also far too many muppets pretending to be teachers who the Unions defend regardless of the damage they do to the children in their class.

It would be good if they all sat down and put the children first!
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Public services will suffer under this government for sure,my daughters 3 so I've got all this to come (sweat)