Ebay cheaters

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Ebay cheaters

Post by duke63 »

Anybody else put in a max bid for something and been winning until the last hour whne you get outbid. Then about 10 minutes after the end receive a 2nd offer for the item for your max bid? Its not a new item so they cannot have more than one.

Looking at the bid history, it seems this other person kept bidding in £2 increments until they overtook my max bid and then stopped.. And this person only has one single feedback.

Strikes me as 'someone' trying to bump the price up and have to say i am loath to buy the 2nd bid offer simply for that reason.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Ebay cheaters

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I had that with some brake cylinder covers a few weeks back, I didnt bother as it had already been bumped over what I wanted to pay so left it
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I've just looked at back at the sellers history and they seem to have a very constant supply of s/h, barely used Alpinestars gloves, so i am going to leave it.

I know there are a lot of Alpinestars fakes out there.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Sounds like a wise plan, good luck in finding some new gloves
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Sounds like a near miss Duke. I would leave it.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Ebay has a lot of bad points and you have to be so careful at scammers doing this kind of thing.

I think I read somewhere that some chap went to prison for fraud due to bumping up his own items on a regular basis.

I'm too much of a chicken to do anything like that, and not very bright as I'd never thought to do it in the first place
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Yeah, sounds like someone pushing it up. Keep bidding on it when it relists, and wait for him to up it than stop bidding again.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Report him and your suspicions to Ebay, if he's using the same IP address for both ID's they can tell and may well close him down. Scammers don't do anyone any favours.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I can't remember the last time I bid on anything on ebay. I use it for Buy It Now or Best Offer auctions only.

I can't be bothering with the idiots and scammers on ther.e

That said I may have to use it as I've got a load of stuff I could do with offloading.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

To be honest, I have not bought a great deal form eBay for some time, use it to check costs on things from time to time, but amazon and general on line stores seem to be doing deals and prices that match or beat anything I have seen on eBay for some time now.

Key is, have a price you want to pay, if it goes beyond, don't bother if you have to use eBay
Roadrace
Your Bike:

Post by Roadrace »

If I bid on any auctions, I tend to set an alarm to notify me 15 mins before the auction is due to finish, open two windows on the laptop, set my max bid up in one window and keep refreshing the other. When there are 5 seconds or so left, I'll place my max bid. I usually win as there's no time for anyone else to set up a higher bid. If someone else outbids me, I can't be tempted to pay more than I'd originally planned as there's no time.

I often wonder why people start bidding with days to go. All you end up doing is pushing up the price.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Roadrace wrote:If I bid on any auctions, I tend to set an alarm to notify me 15 mins before the auction is due to finish, open two windows on the laptop, set my max bid up in one window and keep refreshing the other. When there are 5 seconds or so left, I'll place my max bid. I usually win as there's no time for anyone else to set up a higher bid. If someone else outbids me, I can't be tempted to pay more than I'd originally planned as there's no time.

I often wonder why people start bidding with days to go. All you end up doing is pushing up the price.
Fellow sniper!

It's amazing what you can get if you can be arsed!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Roadrace wrote:If I bid on any auctions, I tend to set an alarm to notify me 15 mins before the auction is due to finish, open two windows on the laptop, set my max bid up in one window and keep refreshing the other. When there are 5 seconds or so left, I'll place my max bid. I usually win as there's no time for anyone else to set up a higher bid. If someone else outbids me, I can't be tempted to pay more than I'd originally planned as there's no time.

On the rare occasions I buy from EBay, this is exactly what I do as well.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I use the Android app, you don't need to worry about refreshing as it does it all for you and you can keep the bid popup open while it keeps the current bid up to date.

The only risk is that you drop off phone reception..
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti