Australia

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Australia

Post by Kwacky »

It's not very people friendly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27758594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Australian police are examining human remains found in a crocodile to see if they match the DNA of a missing man.

The 62-year-old man was snatched from his boat in the Kakadu National Park, in the Northern Territory.

The 4.7m-long (15.4ft) reptile was one of two shot by park rangers near the scene of the attack.

Fifteen fooking foot. Why would you go any where near that water if there are 15 ft crocs in there?
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Australia

Post by Cavetroll87 »

My mrs lived in Australia for about 4 years until she was about 8 and still doesnt swim because of it, they have to go to classes about the dangerous animals in the sea and she said that put her off swimming for life lol.

Id love to visit Australia but it does seem everything over there is designed to maim or kill you in someway or another be it reptiles, spiders or sharks lol all the sort of animals I want to go play with lol
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

ive been a few times and never saw a snake or spider,texas however was riddled with snakes and spiders and all types of crawly nasty things
I was in mexico once and saw a massive croc in a lagoon ,all the locals swan and played in the water and didnt seem to give a hoot,bizarre
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

plus I agree 15ft is HUGE but meet Lolong, he was the worlds biggest at 20ft+ but died early last year, he was that big in the wild but was a known man eater so was captured and taken to a wildlife park for the safety of him and villagers, I watched a doc about his relocation, was a massive undertaking
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Binno
Your Bike: Hayabusa dogs dangly

Post by Binno »

I went to oz.

Went in the sea.

But not past my ankles. No flippin way !
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I went surfing in Oz. JUst stayed (mostly) within the flags. Although that's more to do with riptides,

I went snorkling on the great barrier reef too. That's mostly too shallow for predators though.

I never really saw too many nasties while there. Although the massive spider i was poking with a stick can really jump far. Never seen a spider actually 'go for you' before. Sh!t me up, lol.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Binno wrote:I went to oz.

Went in the sea.

But not past my ankles. No flippin way !
Did they keep trying to throw you back in?
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Went couple years ago and went scuba diving in the great barrier reef, I hate swimming, I hate the sea (only nice to look at!!) but there was a massive fish that just didn't leave me alone (and I'm a very nervous swimmer) that was enough to scare the crap out of me. As for spiders, me mates apartment had a very nice scary looking one on the balcony, my mate got a can of spider killer spray and the **** thing still managed to run and climb the walls...he used the whole can and it was still live and kicking! I was waiting for it to get really angry and bite us both...when I say both I mean him...I locked myself back in the apartment, F#CK messing around with something that didn't die with something that is designed to kill them, you mad!!
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

this was the first bug of any sort I saw in Australia.
20130304_171415.jpg

I saw plenty of spiders but pretty much all huntsman although I had one little spider on my shoulder in the car that I couldn't identify. I was told to avoid certain areas and watch out for wildlife when out in the garden (couple of acres) but they said they kept it trimmed down so most things like snakes would stay away. everything else I saw was in animal parks;
20130313_120200.jpg

When I went to the beach there was a light aircraft flying up and down, I was told it was a shark spotter so I decided to stay on dry land (shake) but you know what aussies are like for pulling your leg, it was probably just lost :)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

A mate's sister lives in the outback somewhere near Perth.

I don't know how often they do this but when his parents were there last time, the pest controller came round to spray the eaves of the house to get rid of the creepy crawlies.

Next day apparently the verandah was covered in dead spiders that had been killed off including some nasty ones like redbacks and a few others. :D
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

duke63 wrote:A mate's sister lives in the outback somewhere near Perth.

I don't know how often they do this but when his parents were there last time, the pest controller came round to spray the eaves of the house to get rid of the creepy crawlies.

Next day apparently the verandah was covered in dead spiders that had been killed off including some nasty ones like redbacks and a few others. :D
We do it yearly Duke63, not to protect from anything dangerous but because ants, spiders and termites are a pain in the arse! Redbacks are venomous but will only make you sick generally. Funnelwebs are the dangerous ones, but they rarely get in houses, they hang out under them and in gardens.

I've lived in Aussie now for 16 years all up, and the 3 years I did here posted with the RNZAF I travelled all around. Spent a fair bit of time up north (Darwin - Katherine way) where all the real nasties hang out. It's like anything, be sensible and respectful of the wildlife and 99% of the time you'll be OK. That poor bugger in the boat was plain unlucky, but there have only been 5 reported incidences of that happening. Saw some bloody big dangerous snakes but just gave them a wide berth.

Down in NSW where I live I've only seen 4 snakes in 13 years, same thing, leave them alone, don't block their path and you're fine. I dive a bit too, and have dived with 9 species of sharks in Aussie, and never had a problem, but if I ever saw a White, Bull or Tiger and I wasn't in a cage I'd be worried.

To be honest driving a car down the road (or bike ) is still the most likely thing to kill you in Oz!

Don't let the stories and hype scare you, it's a great place, come for a visit! But if you want somewhere safer and friendlier, got to my homeland NZ ;)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

It's on our list for the next few years. I have an uncle who I've never met who has a small holding near Adelade. I would like to have a look.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

C00kiemonster wrote:It's on our list for the next few years. I have an uncle who I've never met who has a small holding near Adelade. I would like to have a look.
Well if you do and get anywhere near Sydney make sure you give me a holler!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:It's on our list for the next few years. I have an uncle who I've never met who has a small holding near Adelade. I would like to have a look.
Well if you do and get anywhere near Sydney make sure you give me a holler!
Will do fella. My wife has a brother in Sydney so I imagine we would be in the area if we did (y)
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

February-March is a good time to hit Adelaide, they have their big Fringe festival on so lots to go and see and do.