Car Tyres

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Car Tyres

Post by D6Nutz »

I know we have about a gazillion posts on bike tyres, but for a change I'm looking for car tyres.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced all round tyre from a decent manufacturer. Any body got any suggestions ?? I haven't bought car tyres for ages and really don't know what I'm looking at.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Re: Car Tyres

Post by Rob »

I recently went with Goodyear Efficientgrip for my Alfa. Being low profiles I wanted something that still gave a lot of grip but also were quite quiet. They are also good in the wet!

So far I have not had any hairy moments with them whilst driving spiritedly and they do seem to be quieter than the prielli's I had on previously, but that may also be due to the fact the old tyres were pretty low on tread depth.

Review here
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... icientgrip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I've got Falkens on the Mazda. They seem to do the job. Nice grip, controlled slides for when you're hammering the front :D Reasonably priced. Showing little signs of wear after 15,000 miles.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

I bought some budget tyres once as it was all I could afford at the time. Hero tyres. I almost died every journey with them. In the wet it was as though someone had spilled a pan of butter underneath my car and even driving slowly, any application of the brakes would mean the wheels would lock up and you would end up sliding towards a certain death. I'm surprised I managed to keep the car on the road long enough to wear them out. It did improve my snow and ice driving though.
A review of a similar experience:
French person wrote:NE PAS ACHETER CE PNEU. CEST DU SUCIDE !!! Sur route mouillée on ne fait que glisser même a faible allure (rond_point, intersection ...) Sur la neige j'en parle même pas. Pourtant c'est un pneu toute saison. CE PNEU DEVRAIT ETRE INTERDIT A LA VENTE !!!
Translated:
DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE. IT'S sucide! On a wet road you only slip even at low speed (roundabout, intersection ...) On the snow I even speak. Yet it is a all-season tire. THIS TIRE SHOULD BE BANNED FOR SALE!
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

Kwacky wrote:I've got Falkens on the Mazda. They seem to do the job. Nice grip, controlled slides for when you're hammering the front :D Reasonably priced. Showing little signs of wear after 15,000 miles.
I used to run falkens on my mini back in the day, they were pretty grippy from what I remember.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Dunlops on the mondeo, very good. I used to work for Dunlop many years ago so I am biased. I usually buy dunlops on cars.

Jane's C1 has thin Michelin Energy Savers. Terrifying in the wet. I've never had tyres that understeer so much!

Pirelli PZero's on the jag. 295/30R20s. I'll swop those to Dunlops when they wear out (sweat)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

C00kiemonster wrote:..Pirelli PZero's on the jag. 295/30R20s. I'll swop those to Dunlops when they wear out (sweat)
Probably won't be that long, I'm afraid.

I like the obligatory gradings that they have on tyres these days.

Fwiw I have Avon ZV5 on my cage currently, and they seem pretty good. Before them I had Bridgestones before, and they were cr@p & wore out very fast too.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I like the look of the Goodyears Rob.. (y)

I learned my lesson about budget tyres a few years back. I put a pair of real budget tyres on a Saab 93 Aero, I was skint at the time and that was all I could afford. What a mistake, it ate them in about 4000 miles (shocked)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Falkens on my 911