Tesla

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Tesla

Post by duke63 »

A friend had his Tesla Model S delivered on Monday.

Had my first look round it today.

They really are a class act and are taking luxury motoring to another level. The car has the ability to drive him to any destination by him telling the Satnav where he wants to go.

The car will park itself and drive out again from your mobile phone command with no driver in it.

Plus it leaves pretty much every car on the road for dead in acceleration.

Cars are about to change forever.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Tesla

Post by Kwacky »

Torque by the bootful from the off
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Yep...the S is a beautiful car....they're the real deal...not quirky looking for the sake of being quirky, as other hybrids/electric cars tend to be.....something that's cool, as opposed to only appealing to the pseudo-green-eco-hippies.

Lexus et al will be scrambling to play catch-up.

$$$$$$
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Now owning an outlander phev I am gobsmacked with the improvements to the technology these days. It's virtually no different inside or out from a normal outlander, just a lot quieter and has a book mpg of 160 (shocked)

Hybrid is a very good stepping stone to full electric IMO.

Also bumped into this on the web yesterday. https://www.koenigsegg.com/regera/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I think this is almost the ultimate in car design. The first electric Porsche due out next year.

StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:....Cars are about to change forever.
IMHO logic of motoring development shows you're right mate.:
It always seems that todays "Exceptional & desirable features" inevitably become tomorrows "standard & expected specification".?

I remember when ABS started to appear in a few top of the range luxury cars. It seemed such a stretch that I would never have expected it would be mandatory on all production cars within 20 years.

P.S. Having said that, my car was already ABS at the time (nod) , courtesy of no servo & persistent leaking wheel cylinders all round. (doh)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

D6Nutz wrote:Now owning an outlander phev I am gobsmacked with the improvements to the technology these days. It's virtually no different inside or out from a normal outlander, just a lot quieter and has a book mpg of 160 (shocked)

Hybrid is a very good stepping stone to full electric IMO.

Also bumped into this on the web yesterday. https://www.koenigsegg.com/regera/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Regera is pricey but amazing. It's gearbox is the most revolutionary part of it.

Have a look on Youtube for videos with it up against other supercars at speed (clap)

The new Jaguar I-Pace is worthy of a look. Cheaper than some Tesla's and better made i suspect.

Tesla's USP is now it's tech as the other manufacturer's are catching up with drivetrain tech. Big year for Tesla - if it cant get those model 3's out and the other manufacturer's manufacture a sub 30k version they are dead.

My biggest concern will be charging them all. There will be a period where electric cars will become popular and the infrastructure wont be able to cope. Rather than a government creating an infrastructure that will be used for hundreds of years, it wont do enough.

Solar powered chargers in remote areas with one payment system will be the key. The payback may take 50 years so the goverment needs to step in.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

You are right regarding charging points.

The government should now be making charging points a required part of planning permission for all out of town stores and car parks.

But this is Britain - they will **** it up and say let the market sort it out, by which time we will be years behind as always.

I would also like all town and city centres to become public transport only with park and ride facilities outside built now. But again, you cannot see this country thinking like that. It will be all about money and nothing else.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Most new building projects for factories and public places now have to have charging points, likewise car parks. I suspect we'll see private companies springing up who'll put the charging points in for a fee and a cut of the cost of the recharge.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

That Porsche is very cool.....something your average person would love to have in their driveway.....it could be powered by a plastic propeller & a wound-up elastic band, and they'd still want it.....because ultimately I don't think many people give too much of a toss HOW a car is 'green'...just that it does what it sez on the box.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

C00kiemonster wrote: My biggest concern will be charging them all. There will be a period where electric cars will become popular and the infrastructure wont be able to cope. Rather than a government creating an infrastructure that will be used for hundreds of years, it wont do enough.
This is already a problem. We're looking to go away soon with the caravan and the car will probably need to be charged on route and also while we are down in poole. The campsite only offers a 10amp socket for the caravan hookup and I'm fairly sure the car will demand more load than that, there are very few public charging points away from major towns an cities, and then when you do find them there are only the odd one or two here and there,

As it is so very cheap (at the moment with a government grant) to get a charging point at your house I don't think it will be very long before someone finds a way to monetise the sharing of private charging points...... Before you get any ideas, I'm already fleshing out how it could work !!

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Know nothing about it tbh.

Is your car a hybrid Nutz ? What does phev mean ?

Can u switch to proper power if you run out of electrickery?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Blade wrote:Know nothing about it tbh.

Is your car a hybrid Nutz ? What does phev mean ?

Can u switch to proper power if you run out of electrickery?
PHEV == Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle.

Surprised you know nothing about them blade, I would have thought the amount of engineering that goes into them would have tweaked your interest.

The outlander has a 2l 4 pot petrol engine, nothing too exciting. From there it gets more fun, there is no gearbox so the car decides how to use the petrol and electric engine. They can be used in series where the petrol motor drives the electric motor, which in turn drives the wheels. Or in certain conditions the petrol engine can be used in parallel with the electric engine to drive independent axels (4x4 mode). Or it can be pure electric.

It can be charged by either plugging it in or via it's onboard generator driven by either the petrol engine or regen braking.

Since we've had it (just over a week) we've done over 300 miles and only used about 10 liters of petrol. Oh and the road tax is great considering its a big 4x4.... Its £0 (happy)

Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Sounds good what's the range????

Can it run indefinitely? If you run out of charge can it run purely on the petrol engine?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Blade wrote:Sounds good what's the range????

Can it run indefinitely? If you run out of charge can it run purely on the petrol engine?
Pure electric is estimated at about 30 miles.

The car manages the use of the engines, but yes when the battery is out it switches to petrol. But it also then starts charging the battery again and will switch between them continually to give optional efficiency.