Thundersport GB - Round 3 Race Report - Snetterton

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
Pitty
Your Bike: Honda Fireblade (Road) & Triumph Daytona 675 (Race)

Thundersport GB - Round 3 Race Report - Snetterton

Post by Pitty »

Thundersport GB Round 3 – Snetterton 200 – 3-5 May 2014

It’s the other long haul race for us driving from Bury (taking 5 hours each way, not helped by the seemingly permanent road works on the A11).

This was also one of last year’s bogey tracks for me, where I notched up my only DNF to date (A very wet race last year where I left the track, but managed to stay upright). It’s a very fast track, that does not seem to ‘flow’ well with some fast entry, tricky corners to master.

The test day went well, with the main focus being on re-learning the track and suspension set-up, but a positive attitude to ‘beating’ this circuit saw some good improvement in times throughout the day, reducing the lap time from last year’s 1:25.4 to a solid 1:22

Sunday

Qualifying

Having managed a 1:22.681 lap during testing, I was determined to manage the same in qualifying, rather than the usual poor qualifying result that is unfortunately more usual. I soon found some space on track and started to really get my head down and went faster again than before, putting in a 1:21.461 gaining a great 20th place on the grid.

Race 1

Starting in the middle of Row 7, the run to turn one looked quite crowded so, when the lights went out, I decided to try to make my way towards the Pit wall and take a tight line into turn 1, getting a strong launch, I made it to the apex only to be crowded badly and lost the places I’d gained.

As the race went on, we started to lose a rider in almost every lap, ending up with the circuit seemingly littered with bikes on the grass.

My pit board was continuously showing +0 so I knew that someone was right on my tail so I tried to keep my lines as tidy as possible, for 6 laps I managed to hold my position before out braking myself into the Montreal hairpin, running wide and losing my drive on the exit onto the long Bentley straight I saw who it was, Ben Shuttlewood (another Pallet Bros supported rider), driving much harder out of the corner, I managed to draw level with him again by the end of the straight (flat out in top gear) but he had the inside line into Brundle, so the place was his. I tucked in behind him and tried to hang on but he had a better line in a couple of the corners where he gained time on me. Taking note of these and learning all the time. I finished the race in 16th, just one place outside the points, but having dropped my best laptime further to 1:21.445

Race 2

This race saw just 21 riders make it to the grid after the carnage of race 1. Everyone still starting from their original grid spots still saw me back on row 7.

Again I made a break for the inside of turn 1, and again got crowded out in the melee. This was a much cleaner race though and I found myself running once again behind Ben, this time in 17th place. The pace was really hot, and again my pit board showed +0 for most of the race. In almost a carbon copy of race 1, I ran deep into the Montreal hairpin and saw Nick Barnes take the spot on the inside.

I finished the race in 18th, but yet again dropped my best laptime further to 1:21.210

Monday

Race 3

Monday’s grid positions are determined by Sunday’s fastest laps, and despite improving throughout the day I found myself going back a position into 21st, putting me on the inside into turn 1, a little disappointing after my two experiences into turn 1 on Sunday, I would’ve like to be on the outside.

Lights out and into the apex of turn one I go, having made a great start once again, but yet again, I get baulked on the apex as the other riders sweep in en masse, and I lose several places as I lose drive on the exit. This is getting tedious. I get my head down though and concentrate on putting together the lessons from Sunday, improving my lines through the corners that I’d been struggling with. This pays dividends and I manage to get a place back with a hard move at the hairpin that had been the place of my downfall twice on Sunday.

Laptimes again improve but I bring it home in a disappointing 20th place with a best laptime of 1:20.826

Race 4

The last race of the weekend has tended to be my best race in the last few events so hopes are high for this one. With the field being so strong this weekend, my personal target was set on laptimes again. Having just dipped into the 1:20’s with a single lap in Race 3, my target was to get more than one 1:20 lap in this one.

This time off the line, I headed left and to the outside of turn 1, I was fed up of being crowded in on the apex in the last 3 races. From the inside this was a tough call, and I managed to get most of the way out there and found a cleaner line through turn 1 this time, then heading back in tight for turn 2, the very bust Montreal hairpin. Much jostling later we all made it out onto the back straight to sort ourselves out into some kind of order. I finished the first lap in a much better 18th place.

Ben was only one place ahead of the rider in front of me, so I was determined to set off after him. It was lap 4 before I managed to get past Lee Matthew, and get my head down in the chase for Ben, concentrating hard on my lines and of course keeping Lee behind me.

Closing Ben down, the laps ran out and I finished in a strong 17th place, just 0.9 seconds behind him. More importantly though, what would my laptimer tell me ..... had I managed more than a single 1:20 lap? The answer surprised me, as it revealed a 1:19.947 !!

What a great way to end the weekend, a new PB in the 1:19’s, a full 5 ½ seconds faster than last year, 4 race finishes in the top 20, all qualifying for National signatures.

Massive Thanks as always got out to all of our sponsors, all members of ‘The PITty Crew’, Diane for looking after us all throughout the weekend, Phil Taylor for his help on the Pit Board on Sunday, Paul for all of his help Pit Crewing, in between going out and winning races in the Streefighters, and of course Ben Shuttlewood for his words of advice and leading me around on track, despite being one of my competitors.

Sponsors:
tankslap.co.uk motorcycle forum
Fred Pallet Racing
ERIKS
Alissi Hairdressing
Huntington Accountancy Services Ltd
The Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club
Secure Empty Property
The Sweet Retreat
sfs Performance Silicone Hoses
Custodian Guarding Company
ajb Photographic

The PITty Crew
duke63
Laura Callow
Kingfixer
Stew Johnstone
Bratty
http://www.facebook.com/FrankiArt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.675.cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy Main
Spudda & Spudlets
Cavetroll 87
Image Photography
Marshall Ubergurglebergen
10255001_10152053498092066_8151212817923802891_n.jpg
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Thundersport GB - Round 3 Race Report - Snetterton

Post by Kwacky »

Sntterton sounds like a ball ache with that horrible corner after the massive straight.

Top work on dropping 5 seconds, that's very impressive.

So what's happening on the first corner to see you get crowded out? I know you always have a flying start.
Pitty

Post by Pitty »

Kwacky wrote:Sntterton sounds like a ball ache with that horrible corner after the massive straight.

Top work on dropping 5 seconds, that's very impressive.

So what's happening on the first corner to see you get crowded out? I know you always have a flying start.
Cheers kwacky (handshake)

We're very pleased with the whole weekend, and looking forward to trying to do the same at Oulton next month, that was my other bogey circuit last year.

The crowding out thing in turn one was just down to me really, not being comfortable with leaning on people yet, everyone else seems happy to rub shoulders, arms and fairings in turn one (and other places), my confidence and level of agression isnt quite there yet :S

Its coming though ...... I managed a few overtakes this weekend that shocked not only myself but Di and Paul on pit wall as well (devil)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I suppose it can be a bit daunting hurtling into a corner with 10 bikes trying to occupy the same spot as you as well as those in front and those behind.
Pitty

Post by Pitty »

Kwacky wrote:I suppose it can be a bit daunting hurtling into a corner with 10 bikes trying to occupy the same spot as you as well as those in front and those behind.
Ive found a lot of things in this racing lark a huge challenge, but am knocking them down one at a time, most, if not all of them are about confidence, this one is on my list to tackle very soon!!

You're right though, there is so much to lose in turn one, and its not a comfortable place to be, but a necessary evil to master .... Watch this space (albeit often a very small space) (giggle)