Thundersport GB - Round 2 Race Report

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
Pitty
Your Bike: Honda Fireblade (Road) & Triumph Daytona 675 (Race)

Thundersport GB - Round 2 Race Report

Post by Pitty »

Thundersport GB Round 2 - Donington Park GP Circuit – 12-13th April 2014

Saturday

In the absence of the usual Friday test day, it was straight into qualifying on Saturday morning and with just 15 minutes and a field of 44 fighting for 40 grid spaces it was always going to be busy on track.
Most of the session was frustrating for me as I tried to find a clear lap, finally finding one, only for it to be cut short at McLeans by Red flags with a rider unconscious in the middle of the track. This ended in a disappointing qualifying position of 29th.

Race 1

Starting back in the middle of row 10, a good start was needed, luckily that’s one thing that the Triumph is great for, and when the lights went out I got straight into the mix into Redgate.
As the race unfolded I found myself in a space trying to bridge the gap to the pack of about 9 riders in front, managing to catch them on the last lap, just as two of the riders in front tangled at McLeans and went down leaving me to chase the pack over the line in 25th.

Race 2

Grid positions are fixed for the whole day on Saturday so once again a good start was needed, and it came, heading straight for the inside line into Redgate, it’s very tight there on the first lap but I came out fighting this time. Lap 1& 3 saw me up to 22nd but then dropping back to 26th by lap 4 and then recovering to finish 24th.

Sunday

Morning warm up was just 8 minutes, but gave a good opportunity to relax a little and put in some solid laps, seeing me lap faster in just 4 laps than in qualifying on Saturday, without going 100%.

Race 3

The best lap times from the whole of Saturday determine the grid positions for Sunday’s racing, and I found himself once again starting 29th for the day, at least this meant we had a basic plan for the start (at least the first 50 yards or so anyway!).
During this race I found myself stuck behind a rider on a Suzuki, who was slower on corner entry but holding a near perfect line preventing me from making a pass, although I tried plenty of times. This proved to be a great battle for the entire race, finally finishing 25th again, just 0.2 seconds behind, but frustrated that I couldn’t find a way through.

Race 4

The last race of the weekend, and I was determined that the Suzuki wasn’t going to be holding me up this time, but storming down Craner Curves on the first lap, there he was, 2 bikes ahead, the target was fixed and in lap 3 we were together and a late lunge around the outside into the Fogarty Esses saw me finally make the pass that had eluded me in race 3. From then on I had clear track ahead and ‘pulled the pin’, gapping the following riders by a full 16 seconds over the remaining 4 laps, finishing the weekend with a strong 20th position and a laptime 2 full seconds faster than all weekend.

Huge Thanks as always, go out to our sponsors, ERIKS UK, Tankslap.co.uk Motorcycle Forum, Fred Pallet Racing, Alissi Hairdressing, SFS Performance, The Sweet Retreat, The Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club, Huntington Accountancy Services Ltd, Secure Empty Property and Custodian Guarding Company.

Not forgetting of course, the members of ‘The PITty Crew’, our official supporters club, the whole team who make this possible, and of course Di, who I just couldn’t go racing without.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Thundersport GB - Round 2 Race Report

Post by C00kiemonster »

Great write up as always Pitty! Onwards and upwards :)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Pitty wrote: and ‘pulled the pin’, gapping the following riders by a full 16 seconds over the remaining 4 laps, finishing the weekend with a strong 20th position and a laptime 2 full seconds faster than all weekend.
WOW (rock) that's some serious going, and an awesome finish to the weekend. Gutted I couldn't stay to watch the last race now. Looking forward to the write up from the next round.

Did you try the High5 energy gels ??
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Pitty
Your Bike: Honda Fireblade (Road) & Triumph Daytona 675 (Race)

Post by Pitty »

Cheers guys, glad you're still enjoying the reports, I sadly failed to write one after Brands as its just been stupidly busy here (facepalm) and also trying to keep this years reports a bit more concise too for easier reading, hope its working?

I did try the energy gels you brought for me mate, you're right, they are so much easier to swallow, and taste fruitier too, very much appreciated, thank you (handshake)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

From then on I had clear track ahead and ‘pulled the pin’, gapping the following riders by a full 16 seconds over the remaining 4 laps, finishing the weekend with a strong 20th position and a laptime 2 full seconds faster than all weekend (clap)

Chuff me that's some going. Nice one.

Disappointed I couldn't be there but I'll catch up with you soon.
MLR193
Your Bike: Zx9r C1 , Honda Cb500

Post by MLR193 »

Cracking riding buddy really well done, awesome stuff! Loved catching up with you lot over the weekend even though it was manic haha
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

1st Corner 1st lap

it’s very tight there on the first lap
not quite as tight as the GP1 boys though