Guy Martin retires from road racing

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Guy Martin retires from road racing

Post by duke63 »

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt- ... ad-racing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Guy Martin retires from road racing

Post by Kwacky »

Again?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

No surprise really he wont leave bikes alone it's in his dna
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

not surprised and probably for the best, I think he thought he could jump on that Honda and win a TT, which to be honest I think was very naïve, I like Guy BUT hes not a racer anymore, not a proper one, he was never gunna compete with the lads that do it year in year out, Dunlop and Hutchy are on a different level now, plus that Honda was a pig, you can tell from its results in other championships.

I hope he does more bike stuff on TV, I like that and him bringing bikes to the mainstream is only a good thing, but I think its time he leaves the racing alone, before it bites him even harder than it already has, If he really wants to race, which I don't think he does, maybe he should suck it up and apologise and go short circuit.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Good. He wasn't focused enough on it to warrant a TT win IMO.

He's had some bad luck this year but his heart didn't seem in it.

He's made a fortune i imagine so good luck to him in future endeavours.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Cavetroll87 wrote: hes not a racer anymore, not a proper one, he was never gunna compete with the lads that do it year in year out, Dunlop and Hutchy are on a different level now
That's the key point for me. The other road racers are dedicated and that's all they want to do. I think this year was a wake up call for Guy, it's not his only big smash and I think he knows the next one could be his final one. His head appears to have wobbled a bit. The other guys just accept the risk, Guy now seems to be thinking about the risk. You can't ride at 100% if that's at the back of your mind.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I didn't ever feel he was going to win a tt,I am a big fan of his though he's living the dream and mad as a box of frogs
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Usual MCN clickbait journalism , Guy has not quit road racing as such - here is the statement from his website :

So a lot of folk have been talking asking about racing and what I’m doing.

“I went into the year right excited about the new Honda. I thought it would be great straight away and so did the team. I soon realised that it needed a lot of developing and it will be great but it needs time and I’ve got loads of other projects going on, that Id rather use that time for. I didn’t get involved to develop a bike over months and years, I was told I’d have a bike capable of winning straight away and that’s why I couldn’t turn down the opportunity.

“TT was a bloody disaster, aside from walking the dog and racing the Mugen, I didn’t enjoy it. It was clear even before that we were going to struggle and then it turned into me really being a test rider, which I did but after we did more testing at Cadwell a few weeks back, I said to the team the bike won’t be competitive at the Ulster Grand Prix and they decided to withdraw me from the event, although they didn’t tell me, which is OK as the decision was made for me.

“So I’ve not given up on racing or road racing, there’s no unfinished business and I want to race classics and oddball stuff. All I’ve been thinking about recently is Pikes Peak and any spare time my brain has had is about Pikes Peak on 4 wheels. That job is down to me and if it doesn’t work, it’s my fault and I like that.

“So there’s no bad feeling. Neil Tuxworth has been upfront with me from the start and it’s a shame for everyone that the new bike hasn’t worked. I know how much effort I put in and so do the team, so no regrets but I’ve got no plans to do anymore road racing on the Hondas this year.

“Nigel Racing Corporation (NRC) current plans are preparation for Pikes Peak and classic racing but the plans can change with the wind.

“Ta for the support.”

Guy
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

That's a pretty fair attitude I reckon. This year has been a shocker.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Guy Martin seems like he's quirky & eccentric for the sake of it these days
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:Guy Martin seems like he's quirky & eccentric for the sake of it these days
He appears quirky and eccentric because he has ASD. No one has ASD for 'the sake of it'
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Didn't know that...thought it was just his schtick
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:Didn't know that...thought it was just his schtick
He was diagnosed a few years back with Aspergers which was a definition of a level of Autism in the DSM IV (Manual of Mental Disorders) but as of the release of the updated DSM V the previous titles have been replaced with all diagnosis been labelled Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and the impact on the persons life is now qualified in their diagnosis.

When you have an understanding of ASD his behaviour and mannerisms make total sense. You should read his biography, it's a great read.