Buying a Track Bike

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
Tuffers
Your Bike: Ducati Scrambler & Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory

Buying a Track Bike

Post by Tuffers »

Me and my mate are thinking of buying a cheap track bike, probably no more than 2k. We have seen a 2000 ZXR 750 which looks nice in the pics. Not seen it in the flesh yet. It has front and back paddock stands and tyre warmers. No mention of spare wets.

What signs should we be looking for when we go and see it?
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Re: Buying a Track Bike

Post by rocket »

Check it's straight look for any sign of damage to the frame (were the clipons may have swung on the the bike in an accident) , forks and Swingarm. If has a v5 make sure it's in order and for the bike your buying check the frame numbers are in tact and have not been messed with. Then it's general wear and tear , check the fork seals rear shock are in working order and not leaking , find out how often it was serviced. check the front and rear discs are all ok and not warped.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Rocket has covered it very well.

Stick to something that was a popular sportsbike so plenty of cheap spares available.

7r ninja is a might bike and stunning machine. My only comment is it has similar power to a 600 with 30kilo more mass which will be hard in brakes and have an effect on handling.

Zx6 b1 is bullet proof and popular on track with stunning performance as 636.

Other popular machines are early Millie's.

Be careful with the provenience. Unfortubately a lot of stolen machinery finds its way on to track days days.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

I agree with blade I love zx7's but a 600 will be as fast in a straight line and more nimble round the bends.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Track bike you say, how about a Daytona 650 but minus the 650 bit!

WP emulsion shock - £650
MCT Forks - £300
Gillies rear sets - £330
ASV levers - £150
Various bit of carbon - £200
Two sets of wheels with BSB take offs
Box with engine in it!
IMG_1431.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1444.JPG
Selling the fairings (some of them brand new), rear tail, carbon bits and road gear would just about get you a second hand 600 engine and a full track fairing. The rest of the bike is basically a track bike already.

I've been thinking about doing it myself but don't have any free time, so will probably eBay the bits over the next 12 months.

Track fairing here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAYTONA-600-R ... 3a8ed7f1cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Engine here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-DAYTO ... 1c39f9cd47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Tbh 2k will get you better than a 14yr old ZXR come September, you should be able to pick up a 2005/6 R6 or Gixer for that kind of money, maybe with sorted suspension as well. How fast are you and your mate? If you're both novices tyre warmers aren't really needed as you'd be better on decent road tyres, if so your money is better spent on either the bike or more time on track.

The main points are covered well above, check the frame no with DVLA if you can, a bike or frame that was stolen will be confiscated by plod with no recompense. If the owner says it was never registered as it was bought just racing make sure you check that too.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

That daytona would make a great bike opnce you stick an engine in. The daytona's handle really well and are still roomy.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Could you stick a 1050 triple in it ? Now that would be a weapon.
Tuffers

Post by Tuffers »

The bike in question is £1500. We are no more than novices. There is a 2002 gixxer for sale near me with a set of wets going for £2000. My mate said we would get a deal in November. It won't hurt to have a look at this kwacker though, just to get an idea.

Cheers for all your input (y)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

End of season is a great time. Bikes tend to be a bit more expensive now as people are doing more track days plus there are always going to be those looking to replace the bike they've just trashed.
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

Keep an eye on motoforum - there are always some good value, tricked up track bikes for sale.

Here is an '01 R6 for £1900 http://www.motoforum.net/topic/101758-0 ... ike-l2000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Just for reference. I bought a K2 Gixer with decent suspension, full Ti micron system, race bodywork, 520 conversion, SES rearsets & clip ons and a power commander for £1100 in 2008, it still had the scrutineering stickers from racing a few months previously.

The deals are out there, but in the middle of the season you'll pay top dollar as people are still using them, there's a demand to replace written off bikes before the summer is gone. Your mate is right, there will be deals to be had in the autumn, but beware the "Puppy Syndrome" if you're looking at bikes in the good weather......
Blade

Post by Blade »

Definitely wait for autumn if possible.
Tuffers

Post by Tuffers »

Went to see it earlier. Not too bad really. No mileage clock and rev counter don't work. Said he will take £1300 for it. We will try and look at some more to get a feel. I think if we made him an offer of £1000/£1100 in a week or so he'd go for it.
Tuffers

Post by Tuffers »

Deegee wrote:Just for reference. I bought a K2 Gixer with decent suspension, full Ti micron system, race bodywork, 520 conversion, SES rearsets & clip ons and a power commander for £1100 in 2008, it still had the scrutineering stickers from racing a few months previously.

The deals are out there, but in the middle of the season you'll pay top dollar as people are still using them, there's a demand to replace written off bikes before the summer is gone. Your mate is right, there will be deals to be had in the autumn, but beware the "Puppy Syndrome" if you're looking at bikes in the good weather......
Excellent find (y)
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

To date the only bike I've ever made money on Tuffers, it was a good buy. The ad was very poor, and there was a glut of good bikes that week, I was lucky - I know that, but it's proof that it can and does happen.

With inflation I guess that bike would cost me in the region of £1500-1600 now, but then it was a 6yr old bike with all the bits on, cosmetically a bit rough, but the mechanics were fine, it only cost me oil, filters and one spark plug in the time I had it as well.