The Isle of Man TT thread

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

The Isle of Man TT thread

Post by Kwacky »

I thought it would be easier to have the info in one place

http://www.manx.net/isle-of-man-news/64 ... ng-session" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clear blue skies and sunshine on Monday evening meant the 2014 Isle of Man TT Races, fuelled by Monster Energy, got underway at last and Bruce Anstey set the pace at 127.473mph just edging out fellow Honda rider John McGuinness whose best lap was 126.355mph.

Action around the Mountain Course commenced at 18.25 with the newcomers completing their controlled laps after the cancellation of Saturday’s session. Richard Quayle led the first group of three away, Peter Hickman, Laurent Hoffmann and Martin Jessopp, followed by the recently retired Ian Lougher with Phil Crowe, Vick de Cooremeter and Alan Bonner, and finally John Barton with Danny Webb, Dan Kruger and Callum Laidlaw for company.

Shortly before 7pm it was the turn of the ‘big boys’ with William and Michael Dunlop leading the field away followed by Michael Rutter and Guy Martin, Dan Kneen and James Hillier, Ian Mackman and Josh Brookes, David Johnson and Steve Mercer and Lee Johnston and Ian Hutchinson. All were on their Superbike machines with the exception of William Dunlop and Mackman who opted for their Superstock mounts.

McGuinness left the line in the 11th pairing but two men who ran into trouble on their opening laps were Martin who was soon back in the pits and going out on his Superstock machine and Dan Stewart who wasn’t so fortunate, being stuck out at Douglas Road Corner, Kirk Michael for the session.

Michael Dunlop was the first man to complete a lap at 125.265 followed by brother William (122.461), Rutter (122.789) and Kneen (123.580). McGuinness was on the pace at 123.641 as was Gary Johnson, who left the line mid-pack, at 124.513.

Second time around and McGuinness and Anstey went top of the timesheets at 126.355 and 126.299, the duo circulating in close formation, with Johnson also going quicker than his opening lap at 125.686. The newcomers were also picking up their speed on their second official laps, Jessopp on 109.674 and Hickman 109.039.

With conditions remaining perfect, save for a few reported damp patches at Stella Maris and Ramsey Hairpin, the riders were taking full advantage and getting in their full quota of laps. Anstey made the most of the opportunity, increasing his pace slightly to 126.513mph on his third lap before putting in a late flyer of 127.473mph to go comfortably clear on the opening night
McGuinness remained second on the leaderboard followed by Johnson, William Dunlop (125.400), Michael Dunlop (125.335) and Rutter (124.740). Impressive laps continued to be posted by the newcomers, none more so than Hickman whose lap of 115.103 was the quickest ever by a debutante on their opening night of practice. Fellow BSB rider Jessopp wasn’t too far behind on 113.293 but sandwiched in between was Belgian Hoffmann on 113.354.

The Dunlop brothers topped the Superstock times, Michael’s lap of 123.239 seeing him seven seconds clear of William at 122.461. Aussie David Johnson and Austrian Horst Saiger made it an International top four while Gary Johnson was quickest in the Supersport class after a late lap of 122.619mph, a solid start for the Smiths Triumph concern.

The solo session finished at 20.05 and, with their newcomer laps safely completed at the beginning of the evening, the Formula Two Sidecars first official session was soon up and running with Dave Molyneux/Patrick Farrance, Ben and Tom Birchall and John Holden/Andy Winkle first away.

Molyneux was first back, and comfortably quickest, at 112.278 followed by the Birchalls (108.690), Karl Bennett/Lee Cain (107.452), Frank Lelias/Paul Knapton (107.035), Gary Bryan/Jamie Winn (105.835) and Conrad Harrison/Mike Aylott (105.366). Tim Reeves, on a DMR outfit for the first time and with Frenchman Gregory Cluze for the first time since 2012, had a steady opening lap of 103.766.

Molyneux and Farrance really upped the pace on their second lap with a speed of 114.350, their quickest opening night speed ever, whilst the Birchalls quickened their tempo also with a 110mph+ lap. Equally impressive was the lap by the father and son pairing of Ian and Carl Bell, a speed of 107.254mph placing them fourth on the leaderboard while Carl Fenwick/Phil Knapton (106.532) slotted into sixth behind Lelias.

Tony Thirkell/Nigel Barlow were reported to have had an incident at Sulby Bridge and while Thirkell was unhurt, Barlow was taken by airmed to Nobles Hospital with reported ankle injuries
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: The Isle of Man TT thread

Post by Blade »

Really looking forward to the McGuiness v Dunlop and Honda v BMW battle.

Hope Gary Johnson goes well I really like him and he's a top bloke
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I have concerns about McGuiness.

There is no way he can be properly fit after his accident and he struggled at the NW200 and the TT is the last place to be riding if your are not 100%.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:I have concerns about McGuiness.

There is no way he can be properly fit after his accident and he struggled at the NW200 and the TT is the last place to be riding if your are not 100%.

100% agree. He was fast in first practice last night however....
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Michael Dunlop took his ninth TT victory when he comfortably won the RL 360 Superstock race giving BMW their second win in four days. Riding the MD Racing machine, Dunlop faced a serious challenge from Monster Energy Supersport 1 race winner Gary Johnson but the Lincolnshire man crashed out on the run up to the Waterworks on the opening lap.

From that point Dunlop was able to maintain his lead over second placed Dean Harrison and eventually came home 20.1s clear of the RC Express Racing by MSS Performance rider with Bruce Anstey taking third for Valvoline Racing/Padgetts Honda.

Dunlop was quickest to Glen Helen on lap one but it was close as only 0.5s covered the top four riders with Harrison, Johnson and James Hillier all in touch with the Ballymoney man. By Ramsey, Johnson had moved up to second but his challenge came to an abrupt end just a few hundred yards up from the hairpin. He was reported conscious but with fractures and taken by airmed to Nobles Hospital.
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

Gary Johnson has broken his collar bone. Shame after his win yesterday
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Was just reading that Guy Martin was black flagged yesterday because his front wheel nut came off on the Sulby straight. Some spectators picked it up and informed the marshal nearby and he was then black flagged.

Sounds like he was a very lucky boy.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Have a read of this. Its not my take on it but the guy does make some very pertinent points.

http://backmarker-bikewriter.blogspot.c ... l?spref=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You can see what he's saying. But I think the Manx Government will do all they can to keep it.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:Was just reading that Guy Martin was black flagged yesterday because his front wheel nut came off on the Sulby straight. Some spectators picked it up and informed the marshal nearby and he was then black flagged.

(facepalm)

Very.

Usually the front spindles are clamped in place too, but a little concerning.....
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

C00kiemonster wrote:
duke63 wrote:Was just reading that Guy Martin was black flagged yesterday because his front wheel nut came off on the Sulby straight. Some spectators picked it up and informed the marshal nearby and he was then black flagged.

(facepalm)

Very.

Usually the front spindles are clamped in place too, but a little concerning.....
I liked when he pulled over and the marshall pointed out why he had been stopped and you heard him say "fair cop guv" just so typical GM
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cavetroll87 wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:

(facepalm)

Very.

I liked when he pulled over and the marshall pointed out why he had been stopped and you heard him say "fair cop guv" just so typical GM

Yeah I liked that too. Couldn't believe how chilled he was about it tbh.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Rob wrote:Gary Johnson has broken his collar bone. Shame after his win yesterday
I was gutted for him as I really like him and he is a top top bloke. Went out of his way at the classic TT last year to spend some time with my kids and make them feel special. Not a quick few seconds but spent a while showing them his bikes and lifting them off and on them. First class bloke IMO.

He was taking it to MD in the super stock with a very strong chance of victory and also a huge favourite for victory in supersport race 2. Dunlop didn't get gifted super stock or supersport victories but I seriously reckon he would have 2 less TT victory's if Gary Johnson hadn't crashed out.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Beening thinking about this and the more I think about the more surprised I am.

I would have thought it would have been loctited in and would have thought its security was checked at scrutineering.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:Have a read of this. Its not my take on it but the guy does make some very pertinent points.

http://backmarker-bikewriter.blogspot.c ... l?spref=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good find Duke and an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I love watching the TT, Blade, and I take my hat off to those who do it but............ There are some aspects of it that don't sit too comfortably with me and that article brings some of them out into the open. There is without doubt an element within the TT organisation that just accepts death as part of it and is prepared to gloss over it very quickly so not too many questions are asked.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've just read that John Ingram came off at Governers but is said to be ok.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No spoilers but there's been a couple of offs

It sounds like a cracking race
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Someone has just gone through Sulby at 193.4mph

feck