Perkle's new bike

Biking related photos and videos (keep it safe for work)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Perkle's new bike

Post by Kwacky »

Perkles wrote:Just sneaked out for a quick blast so here's a small review and initial thoughts

Handling 10/10 sublime it looks a big bike but somehow like a toy to ride
Gearbox 3/10 out of a tractor simply awful
Brakes 10/10 mega stopping power but nice and progressive
Power 8/10 pulls like a train very deceptive as well, it eats up the Tarmac
Fuelling 4/10 it surges at low speed and I have never ridden a bike with such a snatchy throttle
Tyres 10/10 heat up quick and grip like shit
Comfort 8/10 very comfy for a sports bike,I dropped the seat down but going to put it back up again

Will be interested to see what kwacky thinks of it who he has a go on Monday but overall I'm very happy ,I think the fuelling can be sorted but not so sure about the gearbox

I had a quick go on it today. Seeing as it's Perkles new toy, he was behind me and he's got arms bigger than my legs I took it easy. It's been years since I rode a big twin so the vibes and engine braking seemed alien.

Handling - 9/10 The bike does what you want. I was expecting a tall bike to flop into corners but it's very well poised. It's quick and responsive without being twitchy. I can't give it a 10 as I didn't really go for it. I'm usually hard on the front but I wouldn't ride like that on some elses bikes.

Brakes - 6/10 Very soft at first, lacking initial bite then they kick in but not much feedback. I wouldn't want to use them at the front unless I was bolt upright.

Gearbox - 6/10 You have to be firm with it. It is clunky and that shows when you've being riding Jap 600s for a few years.

Fuelling - 6/10 Not ideal and I can see why Perky gave it a low rating but I've ridden worse. You have to be careful with the clutch and the revs low down where it's jerky but I guess that's the downside to a massive sports twin.

Power - 7/10 There's grunt from the off. Big dollops of torque available low down means you don't have to watch your revs like an IL4. It took me a few minutes to get used to the massive engine breaking but it came back to me, so I could leave the braking to later for corners. What surprised me was the lack of range in the revs. I found myself using the gears much more than I expected.

Comfort - 8/10 Nice seating position. The mirrors seems close. I didn't adjust them but they seemed clear enough. Different riding position to the kwak. Nice and high up, not a stretch to the bars, screen keeps the wind blast out of the way.

I really liked it. I'm not sure what options are available on the dash but I struggled to see the gear indicator. Very nicely put together. It's easy to lose your licence on them. You really don't feel as if you're going fast. It's very deceptive.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cool.

There isn't a gear indicator which is why you couldn't see it ;)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Really? All that information and they couldn't throw in a gear indicator?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Kwacky wrote:Really? All that information and they couldn't throw in a gear indicator?
I thought that today after riding yours it seems stupid having such a posh dash and no gear indicator
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Silly really. It's on the bikes after 2012 with the orange frames. Silly thing is it's the same dash too!
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

C00kiemonster wrote:Silly really. It's on the bikes after 2012 with the orange frames. Silly thing is it's the same dash too!
Tbh with so much torque gear choice isn't really a problem is it (lol)
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Perkles wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:Silly really. It's on the bikes after 2012 with the orange frames. Silly thing is it's the same dash too!
Tbh with so much torque gear choice isn't really a problem is it (lol)
Nope.

Mine stays in 3rd mostly :)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Bit of a frustrating update,I was riding along last week at 60 mph and the bike cut out and all the electrics went off,I pulled the clutch in and pulled over for ten minutes.It started again and I got home no problems.next day it wouldnt start even though the dash was lit up.I charged the battery overnight on the c-tek and hoped it would start in the morning ready for malllory.I got up early to get ready to meet kwacky still it wouldn't go,bugger I would have to go on the monster!
After a brilliant day at malllory on a twenty year old bike I rang the dealer I bought it from who told me a light on the dash was the key system alarm,I had to reset the ecu to recognise my key again,success it started 1 st crank.So up again early this morning the bike will crank but won't fire,I've just given the dealer hell on the phone and they are fetching it today .I pointed out my old ducati is more reliable and a bike cutting out when riding along is bloody dangerous (devil)
Great bike when it's going but I can't live with unreliability ,hopefully they will sort it pronto as I want to do a track day on it.Are ktms usually well built and reliable ? Or have I bought a lemon,I need to check my warranty before I start getting stupid bills (yawn)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Solve all of your problems and buy a ZX6R :D

That KTM is beautiful but my experience of any bike with problems early on isn't good experience.

Who is the dealer?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Kwacky wrote:Solve all of your problems and buy a ZX6R :D

That KTM is beautiful but my experience of any bike with problems early on isn't good experience.

Who is the dealer?
Ams motorcycles,to be honest they haven't argued and been very good on the phone.If they try and bill me my mind will change
I'd be vey happy with a zx6r :)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Perkles wrote:...I'd be vey happy with a zx6r :)
:? I don't know quite why or how, but this kept appearing on my screen last night Perky.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-zx-6 ... 3ce17d4320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I wouldn't have anything before 2009 unless you're using it for the track. Pre-2009 zx6rs are gutless low down in the revs.

There are some bargains out there http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-KAWASAKI ... 27e41637c6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZX-6 ... 4d1d2fbf8c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Sorry to hear of your woes Perkles, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there legislation introduced a few years back that meant a dealer had to give a minimum warranty (6 months rings a bell) on any used vehicle they sold? As I recall used prices in dealers went up to cover the increased risk and any cover they had to buy, it was the end of "sold as seen" in the dealers iirc.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Thanks deegee the dealer has just rang a fuel pipe connector had come loose hopefully this is end of the niggles
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

:(. Sorry to hear this.

Fwiw mine has been bulletproof (famous last words) and I think it's very well put together. Let's hope yours is just what they have found. If it isn't - check the warranty and get it into Redline in Melton Mowbray if your dealer isn't good. Sounds like they have been helpful mind...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Get it properly serviced or looked over by someone who knows what they are doing. Pays dividends in the long run.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Yes I might take it to mike for a once over
The old monster was flawless at Malory , I felt sorry for it after the spanking I
gave it
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Deegee wrote:Sorry to hear of your woes Perkles, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there legislation introduced a few years back that meant a dealer had to give a minimum warranty (6 months rings a bell) on any used vehicle they sold? As I recall used prices in dealers went up to cover the increased risk and any cover they had to buy, it was the end of "sold as seen" in the dealers iirc.
Good shout Degee and your 100% right. Two mates at work have had to return cars and be fully refunded for them developing faults quickly. Both of them were 2.0 litre (petrol) turbo Audi's with oil consumption problems just out of interest its a known fault.

Here's a useful link: Need any more advice on the subject I will ask my work colleague so just let me know.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/ ... faulty.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

To be honest the dealer has been really good,they fetched my bike this morning and dropped it back later today no charge and a refund on the battery I bought.They have offered me the next service foc and we're very apologetic,time to move on and ride it
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Sounds good news and glad you were well looked after