BMW S1000 RR 2019

Biking related photos and videos (keep it safe for work)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

BMW S1000 RR 2019

Post by Frankie »

So here we go, took one out this morning for a couple of hours, i am not going to go into detail on anything in specific, if you are interested in this machine and want to know all the facts,, there is a lot of reading to do on line and no doubt professional reports by bike jernos, . The dash is amazing, you can have so many different views, set up so many things, with all the controls in various riding modes, its nuts. What I did not know it has a sat nav installed into the dash as well. As stated lots of electronic options to mess about with on the rainy days when you cant get out (giggle)

So as we all know it is a bullet, and yes that was proved, it rolled through the numbers very very quickly with no effort, at least with a naked bike I can feel the speed, not this with one..... Wow, it is smooth, and they have moved the grunt, it does not need to be screaming to get going, it just does.

So good dash, nice and clear, lots to see and lots to play with on the dash for every bit of information about the bikes controls, tyre pressures the lot, I could have spent most of my time with the bike playing with the controls. Obviously I wanted to ride the bike, so wacked it up to loonie mode, one step below track, which then goes into even more control. To be honest give me Rain, Road, Sport, Dynamic, Dynamic Pro, I am happy :)

Dual carriage way, A roads, B road, Farm track I tried them all, very easy bike to ride, it almost does it for you, i just had to think about the corner and the bike had already read my mind and done it lol.......

As you know I have not been on an out and out sports bike for years on the road, so being dropped down was a strange feeling, on the track bike it short bursts, on the road you are obviously head down a lot longer. The old wrists were not used to that position.

I was also surprised by the height, it was taller than i remember, I did a u-turn in a side road to go back up some twisties and lost my footing a little on an uneven bit, but the bike feels super light so no biggy.

The whole bike is new, there is no way they can class this as a Gen 5 RR, chalk and cheese to anything that came before, in fact looking at last years model next to it, well it looked old ha ha. Now the gear changes, i have to say this was like butter, so, so smooth, i had to check the dash to make sure I had changed gear, I could not feel the change numerous times, it was amazing, even at low revs, the changes were so slick, lovely.

This bike is amazing, great engine, lovely popping and cracking, smooth, slick and very very quick, you can see why there is a waiting list on them.
Now the big question would I buy one, it rides really well on the road, and that's without messing about with the setting to get it right for me, that was as it came, however no i would not buy one, its a lot of money that I dont have and although it is a lovely machine, I am still enjoying my S1000 R for my road riding, and I plan to keep my gixer for track days. I cannot think of a single thing that I would add as a grumble on this RR, looks great, rides great, sounds great and to be honest the cost is worth every penny. If I did buy one, it would be in red it really looks the part. This engine will no doubt find its way into the XR and R in time, word is most likely a couple of years. If money was no object, i would have one in the stable for sure, but that is not the case, so I will have to wait for the premium bonds to come in.

So afterwards i was back on my bike, and in all honesty, i did not feel sad, i was grinning like a loon all pumped up from earlier and had a great ride, always nice to be on the trusty stead 8)
Oh just remembered, one little grumble, the mirrors have the indicators and i think they are to much of a windbreak, the whole front is very streamlined, except the mirrors which catch the wind and they do vibrate, you can see, but its not great. Small thing really, it would not stop me buying one ;) :D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gNZ75h][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]P2030568_S1RR by Frankie K, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gNZUp7][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]P2030570_S1RR by Frankie K, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gNZ6Ve][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]P2030573_S1RR by Frankie K, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gP2hJz][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]P2030578_S1RR by Frankie K, on Flickr[/url]
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: BMW S1000 RR 2019

Post by duke63 »

Its a handsome looking machine.

Good write up Frankie.

However as with all these bikes now, unless you take it on track, you are only tickling it's abilities.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Ha ha your not wrong mate, had the screen which shows brake pressure, traction controls, lean angles, and rev counter, small MPH and clock.... the riding i did, hard at times, did not even get a flicker from the TC side of the screen..... LOL.....

Next time I think I will have a great big speedo in my view rather than rev counter ;)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Great honest review Frankie.

I'll be honest too, I really like the look of these - i have since i saw it in Milan. There are very few bikes that i think - ooooh i want.

The only thing stopping me getting one is the points you have made - it's too much for the road. If they did a 600 with the same tech, looks and kit - i'd be at the dealers now.

There are very few people who can ride these bikes fast enough to explore their full potential on the road. Certainly no-one on this forum thats for sure.

Great experience though - as long as it's someone elses bike.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Nice write up mate, and it's a great looking bike. Have they ditched the unmatched headlights?

It is starting to look a little Ducati-ish though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

The technology and engineering in these bikes is amazing. I've not been on one but the shift cam in the 1250RS was very impressive and seamless, I imagine in an IL4 it's even better. There not cheap but you can see where the money goes and the electronics and dash functionality sound a cut above others. The M package bike with the carbon wheels and upgraded electronics is a bargain compared with the competition.
Blade

Post by Blade »

No big change on power since 2010 but the effect of that shift cam can be seen clearly in the torque curve of this years model
Screenshot_20190804-194942_Chrome.jpg
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

What you see on paper ^^ is felt when riding for sure, lower down grunt for real world riding, not just balls out and track.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Exactly what the above torque curve shows (y) and largely due to that impressive shift cam (lol)
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

If you want to know more about the wonders of the cam technology, Peter Hickman has a nice vid on you tube which gives a very clear description of how it works, very slick. Just google it. :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The best looking of the litre supersports IMO. I really liked it when I saw it in Milan and I got a chance for a sit and a really good look at the BMW museum.

Far to much for me though. I rarely get out of 4th on the MV.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

The front end reminds me of the Ducati concept e-bike someone posted pics of a while back.
Looks like an orca. In a good way.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

A great review Frankie. Taken a while to read it but glad I managed to now. Bet you had fun in it. Looks great but when I sat on it at the NEC it seems very high seating. Previous one was a lot lower and felt great. It clearly is a lot for road but it is a sports bike, it designed for racers but with road comforts installed on it

I met an owner of an RRM last week. He was a short guy and said when he picked it up within a few meters he tipped it. Hes ordered new parts for it and they are expensive he didn't seem to bothered about the price but he talked about it for 20 mins. He loves it. Best bike he's owned, one thing that shocked me was he came from a Gixxer 600 to the RRM...I personally thought that's quite a step lol

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Just had a chat with a guy at the fuel station with the M Sport version. He had the first one from the local BMW dealer in Wolverhampton. He had tracked it to. It’s what they are for really. Has carbon wheels as standard.

He said it’s significantly lighter than the previous bike which he had traded in for this one. It does look very nice.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Yep a lot of bike for the money, which is a lot, but worth it. FYI... I would not have carbon wheels on a road bike.... way to many get damaged, and you really need to trust your tyre fitter.
I yes they are super light and really help you to turn in quick, but do I need this for the road....
duke63

Post by duke63 »

One of the carbon wheels, he had had replaced already.