BMW S1000R Sport.

Biking related photos and videos (keep it safe for work)
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

BMW S1000R Sport.

Post by Stonesie »

I had a couple of hours on one of these today in fantastic weather thanks to my local BMW dealership, Alan Jefferies Rotherham.

I have to say that it's quite a compact little bike and has high pegs so after about an hour and a half I welcomed a fuel stop... That's about it for negatives.

The thing handles, it's too much fun to ride it hard and at speeds which made me wish that I hadn't checked the speedo :x It didn't have Dynamic Pro mode so normal Dynamic or Road were used, even in Road the suspension was quite firm over our lovely moonscape style roads and conversely even in Dynamic the throttle wasn't snatchy and low rev grunt was impressive even as low as 30 in 6th.

The sound was great with the howling 4 cylinder and standard Akrapovic end can letting out a crack or some pops every time the throttle was closed or the down blipper used, the QS and blipper are the best that I have ever used, almost always seamless unless I balked the change, the peg was too high for my preference. Easily fixed. It wasn't even horrible on fuel, I put a tenner in and was having fun for about 70 miles without burning it all.

To sum it up, for me it's an awesome little toy bike, not much weather protection or long range comfort but great handling and grin factor without much vibration, which was a pleasant surprise. On the way home I set everything to SPORT on the SDGT and hit the same roads, the speeds were a little lower (5-10mph) but the bike was a bigger hoot and was leaving the ground over crests, wheelieing and not using much more than half the revs.

It could never replace the SDGT but would make a great addition to my garage, now, where's that lottery ticket...
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: BMW S1000R Sport.

Post by Blade »

I hired one and toured Italy on it. Good bike but for some reason I never really gelled with it. Don't know why as was a great bike and virtually brand new, but we just didn't hit it off for some reason (wasntme)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

They're cracking bikes. They lack a bit of soul for me though. Maybe I've not spent enough time on one.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:I hired one and toured Italy on it. Good bike but for some reason I never really gelled with it. Don't know why as was a great bike and virtually brand new, but we just didn't hit it off for some reason (wasntme)
That's how I feel about my mate's Track only S1000RR. I thought 194bhp would be enough to make a bike exciting but it wasn't.

Lunatic weapon but it didn't excite me.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Thinking about it overnight, i would probably get bored of it, its a bit clinical.
As i wrote above, i had more of a laugh at lower speeds on the KTM... It seems to come into its own at banning speed and above so would be amazing around Cadwell Park.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I think a 765RS would be the ultimate track naked bike.. the KTM is too much, the BMW isn't as agile and the Aprilia would force me to make so many unnecessary shifts just to hear the engine and I would probably be better off in Novice group :D
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Got to add my two pence worth seeing as my beloved S1000R is the subject LMAO ;) Being an advocate of this fine machine, and having it for over 4 years now with 33K on the clock, I can only say it makes me grin like a loon most rides, its agile, and as for soul, well mine has plenty, with a touch of jazz and funk thrown in.

In conclusion i still have no desire to change it.... Still lol, but as we all know there is a lot of choice out there, try them all, and buy the one that makes you smile. For me this still does, oh yeah and fuel wise riding about a reasonable speeds in the right gears it can eek out the go juice, give it the beans and you will be lucky to get more than 80 miles out of a tank LMAO.... thats a full on ragging....

On a side note, for fun on the track I am still loving the gixer 600, and managing to bash out some good times bettering year on year, but more for me is the feeling i have riding it, I know the input from me is making a difference, as opposed to when I had the S1000 RR on the track, where I was just a passenger LOL......I wont be changing that anytime soon, well unless I have to.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Still looks mint Frankie and 33k is impressive mileage (y)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

They do go through brake pads quite a lot ;)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Ha ha Indeed mine does..... I have checked them out ;)
Blade

Post by Blade »

I do remember the brake being superb
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Each to their own. This is exactly why there is a lot of choice out there. Good write up

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk