D6Nutz wobbling round Donninton

Biking related photos and videos (keep it safe for work)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: D6Nutz wobbling round Donninton

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Cookie, remind me this evening to pack my camera. I'll bring it with me to france.
8)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

A couple of laps from the second session with the camera. The first lap shows how well M7RR's stick, and not just to tarmac (shocked) The second lap shows that I really need to work on my braking points and lines (facepalm)

[video]http://youtu.be/PHhHw8F4m7E[/video]
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Bugger didn't realise you come, off any damage ?
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

No, I didn't realise either. All ok? You did well considering you needed to ride back after!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That first lap I can see what happened, the guy drifted across.

Hard for us to call on the video for your off. I know you said you thought you were going too fast. I can't say either way to be honest.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

How much damage Jon ? Are the new fairings OK ?

After your first little excursion on lap 1 did your confidence get effected (mine certainly would have) as you seemed to get passed a few times when previously you were flying past everyone 8) . It took you another full lap to get past the guy who was holding you up on the Gixer ( I think ) and you did it on the same turn which was the one before your off could this have effected your concentration and made you loose slight of your usual braking marker, just a suggestion. That corner is also very difficult as the entry is completely blind.

Hope the bike is ok and definitely glad you are mate (y)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Yeah, on the first lap the guy was drifting in to take the line even though I was there. To be honest there was probably enough space for both of us on the track, but given it's quite a quick corner I wasn't going to argue the point.

It's a bit strange blade, I don't think it affected my confidence at all. It took me a couple of corners to get back on line and get the bike flowing again I'm not surprised I was overtaken a few times, being off line does drop your speed a lot and there where some quick guys in the novice group.

The second lap is quite easy to work out. I was quicker than I had ever been into McLean's, and also held a good line. That got me passed the gixxer cleanly, but the knock on was my exit speed was a lot faster too. As Coppice is totally blind you don't really see the mistake until you see the curb on the inside and by then your a country mile off the apex. I went into panic braking mode and you can see the result.

RSV's are hard as nails it would appear. There is a little light scratching to the lacquer on the left hand side, but that's it. I'm going to have a go a polishing with some T-Cut stuff and see if they will polish out. I reckon that the majority will. If not then I'll email the company that made the fairing kit and see what it would cost for two new side panels, that would also fix the bit where it melted..

At least you know I was trying ;) 8)

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade

Post by Blade »

As long as your as hard as nails and alright is the main thing (y) as you say bikes can be easily fixed.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Doh! I did not realise you had come off either. Glad all is ok and you were able to ride home.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Glad you are ok. Thats the main thing. And bonus s the bike isn't too bad.

For the off on that corner had you not picked a braking marker? Its even more important when the corner is blind.

As for int the first lap, I don't think that other guy did anything wrong at all. He was in front and had every right to drift across to the apex.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Glad you and the bike are ok. Good job the lucky 7's grip well over dirt and curbs. I also think the other guy did nothing wrong and would have had no idea you were there, so good job you did the right thing and avoided any possible coming together.

You did well on the off to get rid of all your speed before hitting the gravel too.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I 100% agree about the overtake on the gixxer and haven't said a single word against the rider, I only kept it in as it shows how well the tyres can grip. I did have a braking point for the corner, there where a couple of errors that gave the final outcome.

The instructor in the previous session told me that I could brake quite a bit later if I wanted to, so I was trying to be a bit braver. Following the overtake I was also a bit quicker into the corner than before so the two things combined got me a bit out of kilter and I guess I panicked.. All in all, I'm happy. I had a great laugh and the two incidents didn't effect anyone else.

The bike it looking a lot better now I've spent some time on the fairings. I also got a reply from the company that made the fairing kit, it will cost £110 for two new panels to be made and shipped to the UK. Can't argue with that, so when holidays are done and paid for they will be purchased.

Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Fair one, you'll probably look at that off in a few years and think - "I could have made that corner", I certainly think about some of the offs I've had and realise they were a result of my inexperience.

Glad the bike is looking a bit more cherry now. (clap)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I probably could have made it..

Tbh, I echo a comment made by one of the guys in the pit garage. If your going to make a mistake then the track is the best place for it. A gravel trap hurts a lot less than a tree..

Blade

Post by Blade »

A lesson I have learnt from first hand experience, let go of the brake lever when your in the gravel or on the grass (blush)
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Blade wrote:A lesson I have learnt from first hand experience, let go of the brake lever when your in the gravel or on the grass (blush)
Agreed back brakes are great in those places lol
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Godzilla wrote:
Blade wrote:A lesson I have learnt from first hand experience, let go of the brake lever when your in the gravel or on the grass (blush)
I think I'll try not to find the gravel trap again..

Blade

Post by Blade »

D6Nutz wrote:
Godzilla wrote:
I think I'll try not to find the gravel trap again..
Not as easy as you might think (blush)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

The gravitational pull of the "run off area" at race tracks is an unexplored scientific anomaly, friends tell me sand bunkers have similar properties on golf courses...