Squeaky bum time (onboard from snetterton)

Biking related photos and videos (keep it safe for work)
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Squeaky bum time (onboard from snetterton)

Post by Rob »

heading on to start finish straight behind another rider and I went for the pit wall line......he was quite a few feet away but the gap got closer and closer.

This is a still from the video. I will upload a few of the vids once I have gone through the painstaking process of sorting them out.
still.jpg
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Squeaky bum time (onboard from snetterton)

Post by Kwacky »

That's not a slow part of the circuit is it?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Not at all!!

Looking back at the vid has scared me slightly!! Although I got past him fine if he had drifted over any further it would have been good night for me
Rob

Post by Rob »

Video - the above happens about 3:55
[video]http://youtu.be/KFKDvVJbunE[/video]
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Scary, but you got away with it. So many near misses, sadly part of any biking. I'd concentrate on how you dealt with it, shows your awareness and judgement.

I had a very fast near miss on the mountain a couple of years ago at the IOM (Frankie was behind me). How I missed the oncoming car is not worth thinking about, but I did and the only way I quickly got over it was to think that I controlled the bike, opened it up and squeezed a non existent gap. I do still think about it though..

What I get from your vid is how quick that bike of yours is. Your short shifting in a lot of places and it still goes like stink!

Good vid btw :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cheers CM
Here's another vid
[video]http://youtu.be/-SB2wHhlANo[/video]
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Didn't watch all the vid but I'd say you need to move up to inters. Your relative speed to most of the others is too big and recon you'd feel a lot safer in inters.

It's much easier and it all flows better when you're arriving at a corner doing similar speeds to the other bikes around you.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rob

Post by Rob »

Monty wrote:Didn't watch all the vid but I'd say you need to move up to inters. Your relative speed to most of the others is too big and recon you'd feel a lot safer in inters.

It's much easier and it all flows better when you're arriving at a corner doing similar speeds to the other bikes around you.
Totally agree with you monty.

I started to move up to inters last year but as I hadn't done a Trackday (or ridden a bike) since last October and it was my 1st time on a 1000 I thought I would get used to it in novice. Asked to be moved up a group on Sunday but it was full so had to stay in novice.

I've got a open pit lane booked in a few weeks so will get to play with the big boys then.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Awesome videos mate, Really got the trackday itch atm, was looking at dates for brands and snett yesterday, although mentioned it to the Mrs last night, she was not impressed :(
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cavetroll87 wrote:Awesome videos mate, Really got the trackday itch atm, was looking at dates for brands and snett yesterday, although mentioned it to the Mrs last night, she was not impressed :(

Explain to her the relative saftey of being on a track, with like minded riders, no cars or lamposts, medics & marshalls on hand who will be with you in seconds if needed.

Its the biggest buzz you will experience on a bike!

I will be doing both Brands & Snett a few times this year and will post up in the events section. You are always welcome to come along with me, and if its at snett you can always ride up to me and put your bike in the van to save you riding the 2hr journey each way.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Ive done a couple last year at brands and snett, its more spending the money on that rather than on the house/ the car/ a holiday etc she has no problem with me riding on track but I think she thinks that I did a couple last year and that cost enough so why do I need to do more

Cheers for the offer of the van, thast what we did when we went snett before, I really enjoyed snett, was very flat and easier IMO than Brands
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I like Snett, much better than the old track although sometimes my forgets it's changed....

Fwiw, I completely agree about moving up a group - you'll be surprised when you do as you'll find a several slower riders whose ego's won't let them book into novice will be there clogging up the track, you certainly won't be one of the slower ones.

Be interesting to see how you get on with an open pitlane as there's normally a few racers and a fair few fast group regulars going, they aren't necessarily as polite as some in novices, but don't get intimidated, you'll learn loads if you watch their lines and try to follow a few when possible. Hope you enjoy it.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Photo from Sunday

Had to buy it as was the 1st pic with proof of me getting the knee down.

Now just need to work on the body position
Snetterton.JPG
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Nice shot.

You make the bike look small, ya big bastard :D
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

good pic mate, looks like the last left turn before start finish straight? I found that hard as your still leant over from the long right hander (corrams?) before hand while trying to get it stopped for the tight left
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Another vote for ; you need to move up a group Rob. You were streets ahead of all the others on there, and you are unlikely to encounter so many dangerous obstacles when your lap times are closer to those of the other riders IMHO.

Having said that, hypercritically, I am booked into Snett in Novices. My excuse is: it will be my first time there (& I want some video the 675 members who attend & are also booked into novices). Your video gives me some useful insight about what to be wary of, thanks mate.!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Kwacky wrote:Nice shot.

You make the bike look small, ya big bastard :D

Hahaha, I know, I thought that too when I saw the photo. I thought moving from a 600 to a 100 will give me a bit more room.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cavetroll87 wrote:good pic mate, looks like the last left turn before start finish straight? I found that hard as your still leant over from the long right hander (corrams?) before hand while trying to get it stopped for the tight left

It was the second hairpin (Agostini)

But totally agree with you about about murrays (the last left). It is very narrow
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

you make knee down look very easy :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Perkles wrote:you make knee down look very easy :)
Only left handers, really struggle on the rights for some reason