Possible UK Trackdays

Rideouts, Trackdays, Pub meets and other events
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Possible UK Trackdays

Post by Perkles »

duke63 wrote:Trackdays are not what they used to be, IMHO. Riders used to rock up on their road bike and rode relatively safely as they needed to ride home too.

The advent of cheap track bikes means riders turn up like they are competing in a race with all the gear to go with it.

Its not right or wrong but it has changed from being a fun day out with mates to being a much more serious operation, and that just isn't for me.

Its why I have only done the Ducati days in recent years.
actually it is wrong its a track day for fun not a race to many people timing themselves and bragging about lap times
I spoke to Dave Woods and his lads who all race or have raced at a very high level and they agree its been ruined for the reasons above
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

That's me booked anyway. There is still space if anyone is interested.

I know I talk of lap times when I do trackdays but I dont ride the circuit like I'm racing. I'm courteous to others and won't go jamming it up the inside like I'm hunting a podium.

Trackdays have gotten more serious but I still have an absolute hoot!
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Riders are requested to ride safely and with respect to other track users. The onus to overtake safely is on the rider behind doing the overtaking. Riders who are seen to be riding disrespectfully and/or dangerously will be warned once. A second incident will result in the rider being removed from the circuit with no recourse to a refund or credit. Riders who are disrespectful and/or dangerous will not be permitted on further No Limits events.

No Limits Trackdays Limited is not a race school, and lap timers are not permitted, and will be confiscated.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:Riders are requested to ride safely and with respect to other track users. The onus to overtake safely is on the rider behind doing the overtaking. Riders who are seen to be riding disrespectfully and/or dangerously will be warned once. A second incident will result in the rider being removed from the circuit with no recourse to a refund or credit. Riders who are disrespectful and/or dangerous will not be permitted on further No Limits events.

No Limits Trackdays Limited is not a race school, and lap timers are not permitted, and will be confiscated.
Spot on, fully agree mate, but sadly
I believe this has not been going on with some organisers.

People have been in the wrong group just to get on the event and when on circuit its clearly evident they are a real hazard yet I'm told,
there not getting pulled up, black flagged, quite word, warning etc....

If that is true and contributing to accidents I would suggest the event organiser is also negligent in that he is not carrying out his duty of care to riders.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I know BIKe mag did the road bike only trackdays for a couple of years but i guess its a struggle to make them pay.

Might be an idea if trackday organsiers considered a road bike only session within their track days.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Think MSV do road bike only days they definitely do novice only days.
Blade

Post by Blade »

One big problem is people with no track experience judging their ability poorly.

The novice group would be better called group 1 imo, as some people with an ego will believe there not novice pace but in reality they are.

I'm not quick but I do know track etiquette and lines and similarly on the road I understand positioning and observation so riding at my pace I'm predictable and relatively safe.

The amount of nobheads I've seen in the Peaks the last few weeks is huge. Groups of young lads on tatty sportsbikes, which are probably poorly maintained, inch wide quick strips and brag about pinning it on the straights and riding like rossi is all too common. Same nobheads usually don't wear riding gear, fifty pence every corner on completely random and unpredictable lines and their version of pinning it on the straights is hitting a ton using part throttle.

Put these nobheads on track in the wrong group and its a diaseter waiting to happen.

People should know their limits, leave their ego at home and ride for fun with repsect and safety of others in mind.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I think that if you have an ACU race license then you should not be allowed to participate in trackdays with members of the general public . There are test days set up specially for racers .
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Jack wrote:I think that if you have an ACU race license then you should not be allowed to participate in trackdays with members of the general public . There are test days set up specially for racers .
I'm not sure I agree with them not being allowed, but they should be forced to declare the licence and be forced in the far group.

At Jerez I was on track with all abilities, from some fairly slow (and I'm nowhere near quick) to one guy who was racing the next season. His track discipline was excellent as was his ability to predict your lines. This meant each time he overtook you, and that happened quite frequently, it was a clean, safe, and decisive overtake.

I think the problem arises when you have that standard of rider and someone of a lesser ability tries to keep up. When your too far out of your comfort zone the discipline suffers and the mistakes come.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Not everyone can afford to spend big money on mitches and kit. Not everyone has years worth of experience, we all start somewhere. Bragging about what you've done on your bike is part of biking.

On the way home I stopped to help a broken down biker. Cbr400, smells like it's running too rich to me. I didn't have a pop at him for not wearing full leathers and being on a tatty old bike, I stopped and offered him a hand. Turns out he's a welder. Lost his job due to the Corona crisis. It's all be can afford to run. Now In every day life I wouldn't have looked twice at a young thug from Northfield, but I've been brought up to believe bikers look out for each other.
Cav

Post by Cav »

There isn't a solution which will work for everyone. Some people just can't control themselves unfortunately
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Jack wrote:I think that if you have an ACU race license then you should not be allowed to participate in trackdays with members of the general public . There are test days set up specially for racers .
the problem is lack of ACU tests days and people timing on normal fat blokes track days
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Not everyone can afford to spend big money on mitches and kit. Not everyone has years worth of experience, we all start somewhere. Bragging about what you've done on your bike is part of biking.

On the way home I stopped to help a broken down biker. Cbr400, smells like it's running too rich to me. I didn't have a pop at him for not wearing full leathers and being on a tatty old bike, I stopped and offered him a hand. Turns out he's a welder. Lost his job due to the Corona crisis. It's all be can afford to run. Now In every day life I wouldn't have looked twice at a young thug from Northfield, but I've been brought up to believe bikers look out for each other.
Different breed to the pricks Ive encountered recently. The nobs I ve encounterd are similar to those yobs you see on YouTube videos terrorising meeting spots on quad bikes and Crossers.

We do all start somewhere but that doesn't mean you have to be a prick. I've all the time in the world for decent folk but none for pricks.

Sounds like the chap you helped is worlds apart from the cocky nobs I've seen. Good for you for helping him, I would do the same, not just a biker but anyone struggling.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:There isn't a solution which will work for everyone. Some people just can't control themselves unfortunately
Track days here in Australia are done with lap time tracking by the organisers. You don’t get to find out your lap times, but the organisers will shuffle riders in the 4 different groups (slow, medium, med-fast, fast) to ensure there is no great disparity in relative speeds in each group.

If you book in the fast group and you aren’t pulling suitable times you get taken from that group. If the other groups are full you have to wait for a spot to open (early retirement) before you can go on track again. During the booking process you are left in no doubt you could find your track time greatly reduced if you don’t select an appropriate group.

Obviously the same happens if you book in a slow group. My first track day on the ZX10R I’d booked the medium group as I’d not been on the bike before and not on the track for years. After the first session I got pulled aside before I even made the garage and told to go see race control to change my group to med-fast, and that 4 people had been removed from that group so there was plenty of room. So I know first hand they do actively manage it and I definitely makes it safer.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

A couple of organisers used to do that here
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

it should be based on how many rashers of bacon ,sausages and eggs you can eat before each session the rest is insignificant
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kiwi I've done a day like that here and I liked it BUT most people on the trackday pages slag it off. It's never been picked up from there really.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I booked a day like that with Focused Events, think they called it Chrono day or something. Sadly when we got there they wanted another 50 quid for the transducer rental and most of us including me told them to **** off.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

Its a deposit they were doing, you get that back. You do have to buy a holder for it though.

You can leave money or your license
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Done this with FE before, I think it was FE, anyway they dont really start sorting out your times until the mornings sessions are done, all too late in my opinion. Especially as I tried my hardest in the morning, and ended up in the wrong group for the afternoon... I think other was holding back in the morning.... as i was being overtaken at rapid speeds the rest of the day ha ha ha.... it was a fair few years ago.