Post by Rossgo »

Frankie sounds absolutely brilliant.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: 17-19th of May 2017 BBS Almeria

Post by Blade »

I need to do a euro TD

Have fun and stay sunny side up guys (rock)
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

well another Almeria 3 days bites the dust, I have never been so knackered :D
Didn't really get on with the 600rr that well TBH apart from the last morning when I managed a 2:04:43 and that was ringing its neck all the way round then it was boiling over when I cam back in to the pits ;( . let it cool down and topped up the coolant and seemed ok after that ?.
I really need to get fitter for a 3 day TD especially in the heat, I was absolutely wasted by 3pm, it was a bit hotter this year being in May.
2nd day didn't start too well as some w@nker left his bike switched on overnight so it was as flat as a fart in the morning (blush) (blush) borrowed a charger and got going late morning.
A lot of quick guys there this year and a few that were going far too slow, especially the guy on the R1M !!!
The 600rr handled great but was lacking punch out of the corners, going to look at the gearing when I get it back and fit a QA throttle !! Didn't have any major incidents just the usual going straight over the chicane instead of going round it :D
far too much lager and G&T as usual but what a great trip , great too meet Rocket and his family, and a massive thank you for him lending me a set of his base layers as I forgot mine (allhail) .
*Note to self : do a checklist for next years trip !!
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Glad to hear you all had a great time and that you and your bikes are all coming back in one piece.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

I arrived in Almeria a little early I took the family this time and made a bit of a holiday out of it. I'm glad I did as it's lovely place.

Day 1. We were greeted by a Mr Rabat lapping on a very tasty Honda.
Had the usual butterflies in my stomach when I got to the track. I decided to take it steady and build up speed and not go charging in. The bike felt ok however I struggled with my lines. I decided to push on and up the pace a bit. The bike felt a bit better but I started getting slides I was not really pushing so put it down to tyre pressures and adjusted them down. Then on about my 4th time out coming onto the pit straight the bike threw me out the seat and tried to high side. I was lucky I just landed in the seat and crept round the remaining lap. Coming into the pits I parked the bike up and had a seat. A few minutes past I noticed a small patch of coolant under the bike. On investigation it had been filling up the over flow bottle then coming out of the tube spraying coolant over the back tyre. I tried to move the hose and blocking the end the next time out it ended badly by the over flow bottle blowing the top off and spraying coolant on to the foot peg and down the bike. I came into the pits. The day was pretty much done so i started draining the coolant if it was going to spit something out i thought it better be just water.

Day 2 filled the bike up with water and used a water bottle to catch the over flow. The bike was not over heating on the gauge but over the 3 days on track it still continued to fill the over low tank and then push water out the pipe. When the bike cooled it sucked the water back out of the over flow tank. the fan worked as it should nothing seems to be drastically wrong.
My riding seemed to get worse and i was getting frustrated with myself i would have 1 decent lap and 3-4 poor laps making mistakes feeling the bike moving around to much my lines were not great. I got one of the instructors to take me out to see if i could sort my self out this went ok but on the laps i was following i got cramp in my feet and had to pull in.

Day 3 After chatting to some of the other riders they offered to take me round. I managed to sort my lines out round a few trouble sum corners. What i was finding though i had to be really smooth on the bike if i changed lines or positioning to much on the bike It was moving round a lot and felt very unsettled. One of the other riders had snapped his chain on his bike so it was out of action. I offered him a go on mine so he could get some track time. He had a few laps on the bike and came back in with pretty much the same opinion and suggested it was the tyres Metz K3 ractec. Maybe he was right. Dave the truck driver was in the conversation and had a look at the bikes suspension. He bounced the back and said theirs no compression. Screw driver in hand he adjusted the rear shock and said "try that". There was only 30 mins left on track so i blasted out and did a few laps i came in and said "It felt better but I thought I heard a bang from the front when braking". He adjusted the tie wrap so it was at the top of the forks and said "go out brake as hard as you have been doing and lets see whats going on". Out for a flying lap hard on the brakes and back in. All looked ok i had travel left on the front forks. I explained how I did not trust the front end. It felt unstable and unless I was really smooth it felt like its trying to wash out. Out came the screw driver and a few bounces on the front end. Then a tap on the shoulder and a "try that do a lap and see what its like". i got a little held up on the out lap due to a slower rider then i went for it . What a transformation the bike held a line beautifully i could adjust mid corner and places i was worried i was running too hot the last 3 days i had the confidence to just put the bike on its side and keep leaning and driving the bike through the corner. I did 3 laps and came in with a big grin the bike felt great. I did 2 laps easily my fastest of the 3 days and the most relaxed of the 3 days too.

So it has been mixed few days with the bike. However I really do like it I'm really pleased I bought it as I'm a bit hooked on the noise and the way it rides. Great to meet up with Kingfixer and Frankie. The whole trip has been so much fun even when things are not going so great there is always someone to have a chat a laugh and a joke. Can not wait till the next one
Last edited by rocket on 23 May 2017, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Superb write up guys felt like I was almost there!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Nice write up Rocket. I bet you're itching to get back on the bike now it's been sorted.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Cheers need to sort out why it was having a wee.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Time for some TLC on the track bike, this is why my chain tried to jump off, well this and the front sprocket was loose!!
More like a cutting saw than a sprocket (blush)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Nice hooking.