Buxton Peaks Ride Out - Saturday 28th May

Rideouts, Trackdays, Pub meets and other events
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Re: Buxton Peaks Ride Out - Saturday 28th May

Post by rocket »

As long as you enjoyed it that's all that matters.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

(rolf)

Great day out!

And the most nonevent (in a good way) crash I've ever seen.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

So, in hindsight...

Looking out of the window this morning didn't fill me with confidence...
20160528_082344.jpg
I prodded my knee sliders only for them to promptly fall off. That's what I get for buying used leathers!
Alarm bells should have been ringing when I realised about a mile from home that I hadn't done my sodding helmet strap up.
If they weren't ringing before, they really should have been when Monty said his spider sense was tingling with all the people that had tried to kill him so far.
But hindsight is a wonderful thing, I just wanted to get out and ride.
Ride on those wonderful Peak District roads.

Even those stupid West Yorkshire roads!

But since I don't really believe in fate or destiny, I need to look at and evaluate why I came off, and what I can do to rectify the situation, because listening to alarm bells and spidey senses is no exact science when it comes to riding.

What did I do wrong?

- Crash
Well, duh!

- Tried to play catch up
Monty and Rocket are faster riders than me. Even with no traffic they pull away easily. But that's okay. We always wait for each other at junctions so there's no need for me to be pushing beyond my comfort zone trying to catch up after getting caught behind numerous cars.
Actually,it's more than "there's no need". It was just **** stupid. The last time I crashed was doing the exact same thing, chasing two faster guys after getting caught up in traffic, and crashed on a right-hander. (Mallory, for the record!)

- Rode lazily
I crashed because my toe scraped the tarmac and I shat my pants. My toe scraped the tarmac because my feet were sitting forward on the pegs, not on the balls of my feet. I was also sat bolt upright, not leaning off and therefore reducing the required lean angle.
WHY?!?!?!
I don't like slow tight corners because I'm a wobbler. But in not committing to body position I sealed my own fate as the corner tightened up.

So did I do anything right?

Well, as we've established from the damage picture, I think I landed fairly well.

And, as I was 2 hours ride from home, I literally had to get right back on the horse that had just kicked me off. I didn't wobble back home, I was a little easier on the throttle as you might expect but not a bag of nerves.
About 20 miles from home my pace picked up again. Either my mojo returned or the Red Bull had kicked in. Managed to overtake a Kwak that had left me for dead about 10 miles previously!

Points to take away from it all...
- I need training. Possibly a knee down course, not so I can necessarily get my knee down but so I can cope with the horrible scraping sound without shitting my pants and learn my limits and stuff.

- Not sure what it is about Tankslap Peak District rideouts instigating projects, but it's spurred on my desire to fully upgrade the Zed. I have many ideas and today has given me a couple more. Just need the cash flow!
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Ooh, and don't let any of this detract from the day. Decent weather, some awesome roads(and some er, interesting ones), good food, good company, another successful Tankslap rideout!
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

That's a blessed crash if there ever was one Itchy! If you had a faired bike you would've snapped mounts at a minimum for sure! Glad you are relatively OK and you know the reasons why.

It took me a fair while to not do exactly what you did. It's a mind bend when you get out of sorts to put it in harder. But once you pull it off a few times you'll get the confidence to do it as needed.

Glad the day was a blast other than the little spill.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I don't think a knee down course would help but maybe a few track days with good instructors would
Come to mallory on the 26th,we can all help get your confidence up
Last edited by Perkles on 29 May 2016, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Itchy I would not get to worried about it. I still get spooked when something touches the deck and I'm not anticipating it. It shows how much confidence you had in the bike and yourself to do it in the first place. Your no wobbler in Buxton and round the peaks you and Monty were off . The corner you came off on is very tight and deceiving I know the road and have been caught out a couple of times.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Perkles wrote:I don't think a knee down course would help but maybe a few track days with good instructors would
Come to mallory on the 18th,we can all help get your confidence up
See, we were discussing track days and road bikes yesterday. I go full on pussy mode on track because I know if I bin it, that's my ride home gone. In fact, that's my ride gone full stop.

So the question remains do I get a track bike to remedy that?

Depends how much compensation I get for knackering my shoulder a while back, I suppose.

I don't know, I have some thinking to do.

On another note, we did a stretch on the Cat & Fiddle yesterday.
I've got to say I was less than impressed.

Not at the blanket 50mph limit. I can understand why that's there tbh, but the road surface itself? It was shocking. Looked like an open weave hemp basket, especially when compared to The Strines, which feels like a grippy velcro racetrack!

I'm glad I've done the road but I'll be in no hurry to get back on it.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Don't get a track bike just yet, you might not enjoy track riding. If you're really not keen on taking your own bike on track (and there's no reason why you shouldn't) hire a bike for the day.

Or look for a road bike only track day.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I've never had a track bike and done hundreds of track days ,if you feel a bit nervous either go right at the front or at the back to get a clear track
I always ride at my own pace and don't give a fook about what everybody else is doing and just stay out of their way
You learn a huge amount about what you and your bike can do from riding on track,it really improved my road riding as well for me?It definitley helps with learning about scraping boots and knees and will stop you panicking when things kiss the Tarmac.I would gladly spend the day with you at mallory showing you the lines and how far you can push a bike
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Give it a go Itchy some great advice and offers of help (y)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

That half day on track last week has improved my confidence no end already. Just been out to give the 748 a good run.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Guys, I really appreciate the help and advice. I'll be giving the matter some serious thought and consideration.
rocket

Post by rocket »

What about a Ron Haslam day???
Blade

Post by Blade »

I did the Ron Haslam and Chris Walker schools.

Both a complete waste of money imo. It's a complete lottery if you get a good instructor or just another quick rider who can't teach or be bothered to even try and teach in my experience.

I would get on a trackday personal Itchy. Mallory is near you, small and easy to learn and being with friends who are happy to help and with access to professional instructors if required I think the TS day will be your best bet mate.

If I wasn't working I would defo be up for it.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

duke63 wrote:That half day on track last week has improved my confidence no end already. Just been out to give the 748 a good run.

Even tempted me to look at Panigales again. :D
Blade

Post by Blade »

Duke I think if you don't own a Panigale you will get to later in life and regret it. It's a MUST (happy)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I'm thinking about two options.

Buy a new one this year or change the Multi now and wait until i can afford a s/h 1199 next year or the year after.

The 1299 was so roomy last week and surprisingly comfortable. Makes the 748 feel cramped.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

They are stunning looking bikes
Blade

Post by Blade »

Sell the multi for a 1299 is a no brained imo.

The 1199 has too many issues as you know and you can always change back to a new gen2 multi after a period of 1299 ownership which has to be a highlight of any biking career.