Would anyone...

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Would anyone...

Post by Rossgo »

Ever buy Chinese frame sliders??? I'm sure we've all bought something chinese...I know I have but NEVER anything that is for something so crucial in a siht situation!

So I've been looking into buying crash protection for the bike and I hate the idea of cutting the fairings. But in my search for No-Cut sliders I have found a lot of Chinese ones. They look ok, sound ok but are they ok?!!

I am tempted to buy a pair as I quiet like the look of one (not flash just bog standard but I think would suit the Bike).

Prob won't be getting anything just yet, need to save up a little but looking for opinions and experiences here!

Or it comes down to a pair of T Rex triangle sliders (only way to explain the look of them) and they seem reasonably good but I DON'T LIKE THE LOOK OF THEM but apparently does the job!

So any help would be appreciated

Many thanks
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Would anyone...

Post by Perkles »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261403336877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I bought these and they are as good as r&g
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Not sure I trust my R&Gs, but not tested them in a crash yet.

Had a rear bobbin fall off at stupid speed on a French motorway, which is odd as they are fitted with nylock nuts. Missed Luca's head by a few feet.

And the replacement shaft snapped when I was tightening it up.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

That's a good price lol!

These are the Chinese ones I like the look of!
Can anyone tell me why it has two holes for fitting onto your frame 1 big one (guess that's the main fixture and 1 small one, is there even a hole for that little one?)
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Sorry mate Chinese food is all I buy, I wouldn't risk any damage to my bike by trying save a few quid on protection.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Personally no i wouldn't.

I also been warned off buying bolts etc from no name companies that claim to be titanium as apparently there are very different types of titanium and bolts should only be made from the correct sort.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks for the responses so quickly. Bratty yes your right I don't want to skimp on decent protection, I used R&G and GB Racing on the Daytona and both held up very well would prefer to go down the same route however both these manufacturers require fairing modifications and I honestly don't fancy doing that!

So looks like T Rex (American stamped - built in Taiwan I'm sure!!) has it!
Here's a pic of them

Yes before anyone says anything I really don't liie the engraved ZX6R into the side of them, should be T Rex it they NEED to have something there! :@ haha
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

duke63 wrote:Personally no i wouldn't.

I also been warned off buying bolts etc from no name companies that claim to be titanium as apparently there are very different types of titanium and bolts should only be made from the correct sort.
Didn't atcually realise there was different types. Suppose you got to do so much research nowadays bwfore committing to buy anything! Lol!
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I've got no plans to buy frame sliders, but I don't see why Chinese would be much worse in quality then any of the main stream companies you can buy in the UK. I would do a lot of googling and see if you can find others that have bought them,

I see from the first screenshot they are supplied by neverland motors, I can vouch for them. That's the company I bought my fairing kit from, they where very good at keeping you informed on the purchase and shipping processes and left me feeling very confident that they would do what ever they could to help should there be an issue.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Nutz yes it would be supplied by them. I read what it's made of etc (did as much research as possible) and seems like it is made from same stuff as some mainstream companies, this is why I was considering them plus I like the look of them! But I do have my doubts and that's a reason why I didn't just buy them. The T Rex ones just don't do it for me BUT good write ups.
Is it a risk or isn't it....could potentially be a very expensive mistake
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

It is a risk because you don't know what they are made from.

But they may be perfectly decent stuff.

You pays your money and takes a chance.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Haha. I have bought certain bits from China...a screen for a old bike, chain cleaner brush and little other bits and I do not have any problems with that but protection of my pride and joy...hmm it could be fine but it could be duff!!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Bratty wrote:Sorry mate Chinese food is all I buy, I wouldn't risk any damage to my bike by trying save a few quid on protection.
(f1) I'm with the big guy only think I buy Chinese has sweet and sour sauce on it :D
dizzyw
Your Bike: Red Daytona 600

Post by dizzyw »

Just my experience but I have had a few chinese items, have to say IMHO i've had no concerns with quality, even my wavy brake discs are from china and are superb, I did do some research on them though, and found ones stamped with a particular manufacturer name were the same ones purchased by big name companies and 'tarted' up to be sold under their brand.

This is of course all opinion, but as previously said, you pay your money and take your chance with any product really, a bit of research does go a long way to help though.
A good woman can make you feel strong, rejuvenated and ready to take on the world.... oh sorry.....thats beer....beer does that
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I have tried to do a bot of research. Unsure still what to do. The product I am considering is made of the same stuff as many other frame sliders however it seems to be the fixtures for it that have a question mark over it.
I'll have a another look and see what fixtures it should have for a strong hold.
Pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with the T Rex product as they look God awful IMO!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Let me know what you decided to do. I could do with some crash protection for mine and I'm not sure which option to go for.
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

Kwacky wrote:Let me know what you decided to do. I could do with some crash protection for mine and I'm not sure which option to go for.
Kwacky - I am pretty sure I still have the bungs I brought off of you for the ZX6r which I never fitted if you are interested?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Yes Rob, if you've still got them.

Let me know if you have and PM me a price.

Ta.
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

Will take a butchers this evening and let you know
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

I used to (and probably still do, tbh) think that it was R&G or nothing.

I had them all over my Daytona 600, and when I lost the front end at Mallory a few years back it saved the bike, perhaps, but not the fairing. Or the right footpeg. Or the exhaust. (doh)

If your bike is going down, the frame sliders will only do so much regardless of their country of origin, IMHO.

Personally, I place a lot of emphasis on looks. Yes, yes, I know I'm superficial but I'm sure all of us like the look of our bikes. So why you're considering buying something you don't like the look of is a bit of a mystery to me. I get that you don't want to drill the fairings to fit the others, but if you don't like them, why bother?

And just to make sure that all of my reasoning goes out of the window, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I actually quite like the look of the T Rex ones!

So I've helped out in no way, shape or form! :?