Honda

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Honda

Post by Blade »

Anyone got a clue what's going on at Honda ?

They have the best bike in Motogp bar none and that's supposed to help develop the range but IMO it isn't.

There no where in superbike racing, their premier road superbike is the least developed in the class bar the gixer, they lead no segment i.e. supersport, custom, adventure, touring so what's the point ?

Why are they so obsessed with dominating motogp but nothing else.I thought racing improved the breed, doesn't see the case with Honda.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Honda

Post by duke63 »

I think its all about money and the crisis that the Japanese economy is in.

I was talking to a friend who works for Honda selling bikes to public services etc. He says it very hard to compete as not only do Honda not make bikes that fit the market very well but the factory don't support him in the way BMW support his equivalent.

He is a lifelong Honda fan too but is a bit perplexed in who they are actually making bikes for.
Flow
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple R

Post by Flow »

I read something a while ago about the huge global market for smaller bikes (125cc etc). I think you're both right they may not be focusing on bikes for the smaller markets like ours, but developing the millions of buyers in the growing economies of Asia, Africa & South America. Even though these bike have very little in common with MotoGP bikes, the marketing potential to say the 125 we're selling you is from the same bloodline is huge.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I think your right flow but why pump billions into motogp and insist they are allowed their own software as with out the electronic development there is no value of being in motogp according to Honda.
No 125cc has or needs electronics.
Flow
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple R

Post by Flow »

Competing in the premier class of any Motorsport is simply a huge global marketing exercise, on that basis it's actually not bad value.

Interestingly it's why Ford (owners of Jaguar at the time) pulled out of F1, there primary market, the USA didn't watch F1.

By comparison, back in the 80's when Renault (partnering Williams) we're hugely successful in F1 (at the time mainly a European sport), a survey was sent to all of the European dealers asking if the wanted to exchange the money put into F1 for more local marketing, the vote was an overwhelming no, the so called halo effect is that valuable.

And... Although it's only just occurred to me it's one of the reasons I was quietly pleased my last lawn mower had a Honda engine!

Apologies for all the F1 references on a bike forum!
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

It's about the advertising and positive publicity - The Halo Effect as Flow says, not improving the breed or proving the reliability of your product which was the original reason for going racing. Honda have always wanted the bike to shine as a Honda product - without their own software it isn't a 100% Honda product, I'm no expert on Japanese mentality but I'd guess there's more honour in winning if its all your own work.

It does seem as if Honda are somewhat rudderless at the moment regarding the bike market, but then they haven't been setting the world alight with new car/lawmower/outboard engine models either, I'd say they've pulled their horns in for the duration of the depressed home and export markets and gone back to their traditional markets of supplying small capacity bikes to SE Asia, when you're in trouble you just want to be where you're comfortable.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The V4 Motogp roadbike replica seems to have gone very quiet too.

Might be they are waiting for the right moment to show it to the world.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I read a recent article about the GSXR1000 and they reckon it's no where near as bad as everyone makes out. The main differences between that and the other litre bikes is the lack of electronic gizmos.

It's a small market for sportsbikes. I didn't see a single sportsbike on holiday over 125cc, but I saw loads of CBR125r's on the roads.

The way our roads are falling apart I suspect that it won't be long before we question the validity of owning a sportsbike for anything other than the track.
reedy
Your Bike:

Post by reedy »

Its the same in honda cars they havent invested in new models and are now miles behind
Blade

Post by Blade »

Aprilla and BMW don't race in motogp and arguably produce the best sportsbikes just wish Honda would created something to beat or equal them.

Been in the twisities this week and even with decent fast road tyres fitted with suitable pressures for the temp and conditions I have had the back step out a few times. I m a Honda fan but if the don't provide a sportsbikes with traction control soon I will be switching my loyalty to aprilla or BMW.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:Aprilla and BMW don't race in motogp and arguably produce the best sportsbikes just wish Honda would created something to beat or equal them.

Been in the twisities this week and even with decent fast road tyres fitted with suitable pressures for the temp and conditions I have had the back step out a few times. I m a Honda fan but if the don't provide a sportsbikes with traction control soon I will be switching my loyalty to aprilla or BMW.
Real bikers don't need traction control ;)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

No because they fall off and hurt themselves. :D

Joking apart, when i have been out on the Mutli in the rain, it does give a sense of comfort knowing that the bike can't be forced to lose traction either by too much throttle with the traction control or too much front brake with ABS.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Previously i would have agreed Cookie but after high siding, breaking bones, wrecking my bike and loosing income I think I would now prefer the confidence boost of knowing there is a safety net to save me.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Just buy the prilia. You know you want to.
Blade

Post by Blade »

D6 wrote:Just buy the prilia. You know you want to.
I know your right and I've been looking around but I want to get a sports car too and can't justify the two to myself even though the missus is telling me to just do it.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Sod the car. They're boring. Buy the bike (devil)
Blade

Post by Blade »

I already have two bikes plus I have wanted a 911 for 40 years (its an itch I need to scratch) and with the age my children are its something the whole family could benefit from.

The CBR will be replaced next year that is already decided as the mileage will be well over 20000 and although don't see that as an issue mechanically it does satrtto effect residual value and p/x values.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Have you considered a Cayman instead, Blade? Half the price but not half the fun and many of the parts are the same.

Everyone i talk to who knows about these things says they are phenomenal car for the money.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's fair enough. If you know you're going to get a bike and the car isn't going to stop that then go for it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yes I have Duke but its a live long ambition to own a 911. There are better performance cars for the money arguably, there is certainly cheaper and perhaps better value performance cars but I have a list of one unfortunately and it has to be a 911 for me. Other think which is more a nice to have than anything else is the 911 allowsmy whole family to enjoy the purchase. My wife wants to drive the car, my kids want to be passengers, i want to have family days out and dirty weekends away in it but most of all i just want to thrash it (raaar) Thanks for the suggestion though.