Tail tidy/Indicator help needed

The news and your views about biking
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Tail tidy/Indicator help needed

Post by Itchy »

Ahoy fellow slappers.

Today I once again felt like a real motorcyclist/man by getting out the spanners and tinkering with the bike.

Main order of the day was fitting the SP Engineering Tail Tidy I got for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. It even came with free indicators which don't look half bad, so I'm onto a winner.

Or so I thought! |(

As is the norm when Itchy starts modifying things, something will always throw the proverbial spanner in the works. So what was it this time? I had the right size sockets, spanners and allen keys, It wasn't raining and the kids hadn't made off with my carefully arranged pile of nuts as I took things off.

I unclipped the indicator and number plate light connectors easily enough. (Okay, they needed some gentle manipulation with a watchmakers screwdriver to unclip, but I did that without cursing or stabbing myself, so I'll take that as a win!)

I undid the bolts and screws holding the old tail tidy/airbrake,garden chair like a boss!

Offered up the new unit to the bike, fitted it with the included spacers and fed the wires through into the underseat compartment, ready to connect it back up to the bike electrics.

And this is where I start to scratch my head! (facepalm)

To start with, the leads don't reach to the connectors. (facepalm) (facepalm) (facepalm)

As if that wasn't frustrating enough, the connectors don't match up anyway! (gah)

These are the ones that came off with the old tail tidy/indicators (apologies for the mass upload)...
ImageImage

The small grey and small black ones are the indicator connectors, the larger black one is the number plate light connector.

Now foolishly I forgot to take a picture of the connectors on the new indicators, but their connector is something like the ones on here...

And finally to the point...

Would I be right in thinking that this is something that can be solved by something like this?...
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... tAodYWgACA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully so, but would be interested to hear the thoughts of my fellow slappers.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Tail tidy/Indicator help needed

Post by Blade »

Yes that's exactly what you need itchy.

Search eBay for Indy leads and buy the ones specific to your bike.

Then cut the aftermarket indicator leads and connect them to the Indy leads. The Indy leads will have OEM connectors at the other end so now your aftermarket indicators fit straight into the OEM connectors on the loom and no modifications required to any OEM kit or the bikes electrical loom. Plus if the leads are short the Indy leads will help as they will act like a short extension.

Hope that's helpful
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:Yes that's exactly what you need itchy.

Search eBay for Indy leads and buy the ones specific to your bike.

Then cut the aftermarket indicator leads and connect them to the Indy leads. The Indy leads will have OEM connectors at the other end so now your aftermarket indicators fit straight into the OEM connectors on the loom and no modifications required to any OEM kit or the bikes electrical loom. Plus if the leads are short the Indy leads will help as they will act like a short extension.

Hope that's helpful
^^^^^^^ wot he said.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Cheers itchy hope you get it sorted soon.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Much obliged mate, am looking into the purchasing now, only thing that's stopping me is the impending delivery of hot chinese food!