Water wetter

The news and your views about biking
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Water wetter

Post by Stew »

One of the issues with the GPZ 9 is the fact they tend to run hot and after having a bimble out on her the other day I started to feel myself cook a little from the heat off the engine, anyway I was telling one of the lads at work about it and he mentioned 'Water wetter' he runs his ZZR 1400 on it and swears by it, by adding this to a mix of good coolant/anti freeze and using ionised water the properties of the water are slightly altered allowed it stick to the heated metal surfaces longer and therefore cool more efficiently, anyhoo you've probably all heard about it but if not
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.d ... wwodoLUAug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apparently it doesn't lower the temp per se but reduces hot spots which helps to bring the overall temp down, there are mostly good reviews on the GPZ forum so you never know :)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Water wetter

Post by Blade »

Not heard of that but a mate who runs classic race cars swears by Evans coolant.

Have you thought about getting a thermostat of another bike that will be set to open earlier than the OEM item Kawasaki fitted on the gpz.
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Post by Stew »

Yeah one of the upgrades a lot of the GPZ lads use is an upgraded thermostat from 0.9 bar to 1.1 bar, trouble is I'm off to Scotland in 4 weeks and I don't want to start messing about with too much before I go, however I need to know its going to run right while I'm up the road, I'd never heard of water wetter either, well I've got 12 hrs at work later with nothing to do except a bit of internet research on it I guess.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

Their are a few who have used it in the Daytona 600's as they also run hot ... I havent done it myself but I'm sure someone has
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Iirc D41 was a big fan of Water Wetter.?
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

StMarks wrote:Iirc D41 was a big fan of Water Wetter.?
(y)
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

It does work, there's different brands that do a similar thing, but iirc it reduces surface tension and increases specific heat capacity, which in real terms means it has better contact with internal surfaces so heat can more easily be absorbed and conducted into radiators etc and the coolant can absorb more heat than normal fresh water. Hth.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Do I also remember reading that, as it has a much higher boiling point, it doesn't expand as much & therefore does not add system stress with the usual pressure.?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Stew wrote:Yeah one of the upgrades a lot of the GPZ lads use is an upgraded thermostat from 0.9 bar to 1.1 bar, trouble is I'm off to Scotland in 4 weeks and I don't want to start messing about with too much before I go, however I need to know its going to run right while I'm up the road, I'd never heard of water wetter either, well I've got 12 hrs at work later with nothing to do except a bit of internet research on it I guess.
That sounds like a common fault with a proven solution to me.

I would forget water wetter and other snake oil branded products IMO and go down the proven modification route that all other GPZ owners do if it were me.

Might be more hassle but should be easily possible to install and test before departure in 4 weeks. And I reckon if you go down the water wetter route you will eventually have to go the thermostat route in the end if you want a noticeable difference. Could save time and money by going straight to the proven solution.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Scotland in May?

You will need anti-freeze not Water Wetter. :D