Confidence, ever lose it ?

The news and your views about biking
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Re: Confidence, ever lose it ?

Post by Stew »

Spudda wrote:I had another bike hit me on a bend 2004 .... he couldnt hold the bend and dropped it, all I saw was a bike spinning in my direction which sent me flying down the road with a combined impact speed around 90mph

I know we all (should) take easy on blind bends but I've just got an unnerving niggle, expecting something to becoming my way (tmi)
I know how you feel, I got T boned about some yrs ago and although I walked away with onlya load of bruising after that I couldn't concentrate constantly expecting to be T boned again at any minute from something coming from my left, took me a while to get my head round that one.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

As others have said Stew, it'll come back to you. Especially if you keep getting out there on it. My confidence has never been fantastic, and isn't helped by a) the occasional crash, and b) winters.
These new tyres I've got, the improved weather we've had recently and following a mate who has a bit more confidence has seen me come on in leaps and bounds over the last few weeks alone!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Confidence is strange.

I had a very nasty near miss on my speed triple. I was in Birmingham City Centre when the same car not once but twice cut me up. I had to deal with missing traffic, a tankslap and heavy braking. How I didn't crash is beyond me. I don't mind admitting it scared me that much I cried when I got home, I was just relieved to be with my family. It took me a while to get over that one. However after my big crash in 2011 I was determined to get back on a bike. I went for a short ride and within a few miles I felt back at home on a bike.

A couple of times I've been out on the bike and pulled over. For what ever reason I've had a nagging doubt that something wasn't right with the bike, a noise or the tyres not right. A quick stop and check over on the bike and everything seems fine again. That to me shows how fragile confidence can be.