Helmets and Track Days

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Helmets and Track Days

Post by D6Nutz »

Is it right that most track day companies mandate the use of an ACU gold approved Lid ???

The reason I ask is I am looking for a new lid soon and love the Shoei GT-Air, however I looked at one yesterday and the gold sticker was absent. If its not ACU approved does that mean it won't be allowed for UK and more importantly euro track days ????
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Re: Helmets and Track Days

Post by D6 »

Yep they do. Although I watched a programme an it showed what a joke it was to get that sticker approval (a few years ago at least) whereby they pretty much just wrote in requesting it and were issued with one.

THere is also a silver level, but I've never seen it.

It maybe has a standard that is an equivalent? Like a US approval that may also allow its use in UK.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I was under the impression it must have the gold ACU sticker for trackdays and once you go up a level into racing it must also be a double d ring fastener as well, I would have though the Shoei would definitely be ACU approved as its one of their top lids, could it be that it was an old display one or something?

edit: looking online all the blurb about them says they are "ACU Gold and EC2205 Approved" so I would ask to see one fresh out the box mate

Although also looking it seems some peoples have the sticker and some don't, cant get a straight answer on this one
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I didn't buy a GT air for this reason. It can't get approval apparently because of something to do with the gap between the shell for the dark screen to move in. Seemed odd and I've since seen cheaper models with retracting screens with the sticker so not sure what the truth of it is!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

There used to be stickers on eBay for sale.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cavetroll87 wrote: edit: looking online all the blurb about them says they are "ACU Gold and EC2205 Approved" so I would ask to see one fresh out the box mate
Where did you see this mate, I've had a look on the Shoei site and can't see any mention of the ACU approval. But then I'm crap at actually reading web pages.

I've also shot an email off to Shoei to see what their stance is..

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/products/Sh ... Gifts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the bottom of the page in bold mate, and I trust that shop, when I 1st started riding I went in their store and they kitted me out in really good gear but not just the most expensive so I know they are not just cowboys that say what you wanna hear to make a sale

Also if you look in the picture of the back of the lid you can see the sticker on the LH side
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Mine doesn't have a Gold Sticker on. Blade has the same helmet and i think he said the same when he bought his.

I seem to remember Shoei saying the Gt-Air is double skinned where the dark visor fold away too. I don't think the ACU Gold sticker means jackshit other than its track legal and has passed a bribe test.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Fwiw I've done a fair few TD's in the UK and not once had my kit inspected bar the cursory glance in pit lane by the guy checking wrist bands. As far as racing a gold sticker is all that's called for in the "Blue Book" regs, I've not done a foreign TD so not sure about those. Hth.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Deegee wrote:Fwiw I've done a fair few TD's in the UK and not once had my kit inspected bar the cursory glance in pit lane by the guy checking wrist bands. As far as racing a gold sticker is all that's called for in the "Blue Book" regs, I've not done a foreign TD so not sure about those. Hth.
(f1) last TD I did there was a guy in th leathers and then what can only be described as hiking boots, he was allowed on track, Dont think they even noticed to be fair, Ive never really had my gear checked bar a quick glance at my leathers in pit lane
duke63

Post by duke63 »

On the subject of new helmets i popped into a shop earlier to have a look at leathers but they had next to no stock.

So i tried a few helmets on and the AGV Corsa is very nice indeed. Proper race helmet and fitted nicely. Not what i am looking for at the moment though.

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That would look good if you rode a kwak.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

I've never been asked to show my helmet before doing a track day even at the CW race school.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Bratty wrote:I've never been asked to show my helmet before doing a track day even at the CW race school.
That's because it's not worth looking at :D
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Kwacky wrote:That would look good if you rode a kwak.
The other side of the same helmet and colour scheme.. :)

C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:There used to be stickers on eBay for sale.
(f1). The likes of j&s tend to sell helmets that don't have them, even normal shoeis like mine.

eBay has them. Silly rule, but I take my old helmet to trackdays just in case they tell me off, but last two trackdays I did with my shoei without a sticker I didn't have a problem.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

ive never had my helmet checked on a track day
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Perkles wrote:ive never had my helmet checked on a track day
fnur fnur (lol)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

D6Nutz wrote:Is it right that most track day companies mandate the use of an ACU gold approved Lid ???

The reason I ask is I am looking for a new lid soon and love the Shoei GT-Air, however I looked at one yesterday and the gold sticker was absent. If its not ACU approved does that mean it won't be allowed for UK and more importantly euro track days ????
Dont know why mate, I bought mine recently (GT Air) and right next to the weight & size label is the gold British motorcycle sport. ACU badge. ?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

It's odd that some helmets seem to show the Gold ACU sticker and some not. I've had a reply from the Shoei helpline, a very simple "Yes the Shoei GT-Air is ACU gold approved."

I wonder if they did their marketing images, and maybe an initial release before they got the approval. Anyway, that means this is officially back on my shopping list.

@Cavetroll, I like helmetcity. I went to their shop in chichester and even though I said I couldn't buy anything there and then, they where still really helpful. I'm tempted to buy from there just becuase they where so helpful.