Nutz's latest hack - BMW F850 GS

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Nutz's latest hack - BMW F850 GS

Post by D6Nutz »

As it looks like I may have it for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd post up a few thoughts about the bike.

This bike seems to have a few extra toys added, so I've just priced out on the BMW site at just over £12k. So not a cheap entry bit of kit.

Spec highlights include, keyless ignition, 4 rider modes, cruise control, shift assist (shifter and Blipper), LED headlights/brake/indicators, heated grips. So it's fairly well loaded.

When I picked it up it had 6 miles on the clock, so not only a new model but a new bike.

The first thing I noticed riding it, is that it very very tall. So tall I struggled (and still do) to get it off the stand. On the flip side though, the high position is awesome for traffic as the visibility is excellent.

The dash is not TFT, though that is an option, however it is really well laid out and very easy to read at a glance.

I'm being nice to the motor and gearbox for the moment so I won't say too much about them until after the run in service. But I will say that the gearing and the inline twin are really well setup together and make for a very punchy mid range.

I'm not loving it, but I am appreciating it and how easy it makes the 50 mile commute. Oh, and the 50+ mpg on the clock is helping.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Nutz's latest hack - BMW F850 GS

Post by Kwacky »

That's not cheap, is it?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:That's not cheap, is it?
No. The entry model is about £8500 I think, the posted price reflects the extras added by the sports model and add-on packs.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Kwacky wrote:That's not cheap, is it?
Or pretty .
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Its looks quite wide for a parallel twin. What size fuel tank does it have?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

duke63 wrote:Its looks quite wide for a parallel twin. What size fuel tank does it have?
I filled it up yesterday, it was a few miles into the reserve and I got a smidge over 20 liters in.

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

So a week into commuting with the GS and I've been a bit more liberal with the running in rules (bandit)

I know the looks aren't to everyone's taste, but apart from the clear perspex at the front it's grown on me a bit.

As a fun bike it's not the ticket but as a day-to-day mile muncher it makes quite a bit of sense. The riding position is high, which makes riding in traffic a breeze. The motor, which is loosening up now, has a punchy mid-range making the subtle changes of speed working your way round rush hour traffic ready. I'm also still seeing over 50mpg , even in dynamic.

I'm not enjoying the narrow tyres however. I can just about cope in the dry, but in the wet I have no confidence at all. This isn't helped by the suspension either that is way too bouncy for my liking, even though it too is in dynamic.

After riding the XR I'm also a little disappointed in the quick shifter and blipper setup. The XR is as smooth as butter at almost any revs, the GS however is not. Unless you are "on it" the shifter feels very agricultural and clunky.

As it's a loaner and I'm only commuting on it, it works well. I would be a bit disappointed though if I'd parted with my own hard earned for it.

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

The GS is in for it's service, so I've got a loan bike to replace the loan bike!

After the GS it feels like a pit bike!

ImageImage

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

You may as well be their fleet test rider :D
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Jeez Nutz. Defo keeping the mileage off your bike but I'm surprised now they haven't just replaced with a new bike for you.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

D6Nutz wrote:The GS is in for it's service, so I've got a loan bike to replace the loan bike!

[img]h,,
Looks pretty hip imho D6Nutz. Have you donned matching facial hair & an open face helmet to complete the image ? ;)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

StMarks wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:The GS is in for it's service, so I've got a loan bike to replace the loan bike!

[img]h,,
Looks pretty hip imho D6Nutz. Have you donned matching facial hair & an open face helmet to complete the image ? ;)
Lol. I was thinking I needed to try and grow a beard to go with the GS.