The on-going tyre saga

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

The on-going tyre saga

Post by D6Nutz »

I've decided that I don't want to risk buying from abroad as I've got very little time left until the MOT is due and if there is a problem finding a plan B will be virtually impossible. I spoke to a local tyre guy and he phoned metzeler uk, apparently the rear is available but the front won't be available until mid May now. Personally I think they are missing a major trick by releasing late, and they will lose a lot of sales through it.

I'm getting hit badly this month financially. The car has just gone in for repair, so I've got to cough up for the excess on that. Plus I've got the MOT and tax on the bike with the insurance next month ;( Cost wise I'm going to have to go part worns and get a new set later in the year.

I've found some good sets of Michelin Power One Cup's on eBay at sensible prices. I know they are mainly a road legal race tyre, but has anyone tried them on the road ?? I'm just wondering if the heat up quickly enough and whether they fall to bits at the first sign of a motorway. If I can get 1500-2000 miles out of a rear then they might just get me through until I can afford a new set.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Re: The on-going tyre saga

Post by Godzilla »

Never used those tyres, but used Pirelli and Metzeler ones and plenty for sale eg:

https://imageshack.com/user/joshua.boyd1992/a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On TDR:

http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/tdr/for ... 45668.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I got a new set of bt016s off eBay for 140 delivered,I scrubbed them in at the weekend and think they are grippy as fook
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Perkles wrote:I got a new set of bt016s off eBay for 140 delivered,I scrubbed them in at the weekend and think they are grippy as fook
...until it rains. ;)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Have you thought of fitting a 180 rear, D6Nutz? From my short time with my Aprilia, i seem to remember Aprilia recommending either a 190/50 or a 180/55 whichever you prefer.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I had a 180's before fitting the M5's. I like the way the 190 turns in, it's very progressive but still very flickable.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Fair enough.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that those Michelins don't last very long.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I wouldn't expect an entire summer out of them..

I remember putting a set of Dunlop Qualifiers on the D6 when they where being used by the R6 cup. Great fun, it was like riding with chewing gum for a rear tyre, but 2000 miles was all I managed out of a rear. The second set I'd got the feel for the tyres and it was 1500 miles (blush) If I can get 2k + I will be happy,

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

duke63 wrote:
Perkles wrote:I got a new set of bt016s off eBay for 140 delivered,I scrubbed them in at the weekend and think they are grippy as fook
...until it rains. ;)
They seem ok to me in the rain,saying that I'm out of date with the newer stuff (happy)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Jon, try here. I am told these come from Germany in a few days and they appear to have both your front and rear in stock.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre/metze ... rtec-m7-rr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cheers Duke, good find..

I'm still a bit nervous about buying from abroad, it could be quite an arse ache if there is a problem with the tyres. I've put an offer on a set of part worn's, if that doesn't pan out then I'll probably go for these ones and hope for the best.

D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I have ordered tyres from moto-tyre.co.uk but they actually came from Germany. Had no problems and the company gave loads of communication.
D6

Post by D6 »

http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh ... zeugart=MO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Just a word of caution re road legal race tyres on the road, one of the 675 lads put Racetec part worns on his bike and had a great time hooning around the roads around Saddleworth near where he lives. He had the bike in for either service or new tyres (can't remember which) and the Tech called him through as there was a problem he needed to see. The carcass of the tyres had transmitted too much shock through to the wheels and it resulted in hairline cracks in both wheel rims, it cost him a set of new wheels. Apparently Metzeler don't recommend road use for this type of tyre for exactly the reason Stuart found, the carcass being very different to their road designs.

Sorry if everyone already knows this btw.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Pirelli say the same thing about their SCs Deegee.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Deegee wrote:Just a word of caution re road legal race tyres on the road, one of the 675 lads put Racetec part worns on his bike and had a great time hooning around the roads around Saddleworth near where he lives. He had the bike in for either service or new tyres (can't remember which) and the Tech called him through as there was a problem he needed to see. The carcass of the tyres had transmitted too much shock through to the wheels and it resulted in hairline cracks in both wheel rims, it cost him a set of new wheels. Apparently Metzeler don't recommend road use for this type of tyre for exactly the reason Stuart found, the carcass being very different to their road designs.

Sorry if everyone already knows this btw.
I did not know that, and I very much appreciate the post. I was looking at the more track orientated version of the tyre and if this is a possible issue then I'm not going to risk them. I'd much rather pay a hundred quid or so more now then a couple of grand in a few months for new wheels.

@D6 - I've just called them and they have availability for the front and read, so guess what I'm buying when I get home. 8)

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

D6Nutz wrote: @D6 - I've just called them and they have availability for the front and read, so guess what I'm buying when I get home. 8)
In fact, I've just put the order through as the accept PayPal. Now even happier as paypal offered me the ability to pay after delivery.

PayPal and the option to pay after delivery has made me feel quite comfortable about the whole purchase. Fingers crossed they get here this week :)

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Glad you've got it sorted hope it turns up soon don't see why not :-)
D6

Post by D6 »

D6Nutz wrote:
D6Nutz wrote: @D6 - I've just called them and they have availability for the front and read, so guess what I'm buying when I get home. 8)
In fact, I've just put the order through as the accept PayPal. Now even happier as paypal offered me the ability to pay after delivery.

PayPal and the option to pay after delivery has made me feel quite comfortable about the whole purchase. Fingers crossed they get here this week :)

Bonus. As I say I've used them and had no issues. THey also have a list of bike tyre fitters that they will deliver the tyres to instead of your home address. So they are ready for you to roll in and get them changed.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Sorry I'm late to the party but the latest Bridgestones are getting some stunning reviews. Even the T30 on the track.