So when you go out....

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

So when you go out....

Post by Rossgo »

On your bike do you go for destination or the ride?

Eg when I planned out the Scotland part of my trip away, I spent days looking at roads on Google maps, asking you guys, watching youtube videos and even just general chit chat on Google to see what roads were going to be good. The spots where we stopped were random and I tried my best to get the best roads, which to be fair I did do.

We were out all day long on the bikes. Not starting early but getting back late. Plenty of stops, plenty of pics, plenty of smiles and memories that will last a life time. This is generally how I plan my rides anyway, ok I may have a final destination but how I get there is the fun part, I'll try my best to find the fun roads. I do agree that some roads don't have to be fast to be fun, some you can just take in the scenery eg The New Forest is basically all 40MPH, but the scenery is lovely.

Yesterday we saw a load of horses galloping at a cross roads where walkers and families just stood and watched. We had to wait for all of them to pass us before moving off. We even saw 2 cows sitting underneath a bridge sheltering from the sun! Sights like this we don't see everyday

But others plan their rides differently, they want to go to a certain place and it doesn't matter to them how they get there. Whether it be dual carriages, through towns, crawling at 30 or 40 MPH or even Motorways, as long as they get there it doesn't matter.

Again yesterday our final destination was Poole, and I'll be honest it was a crap ride. The New Forest was lovely but other than that pretty horrid. 30s, 40s, traffic, but we got to Poole. My cooling fan was going mad and my bollocks were so sweaty I could of made myself a drink! It was more of a destination ride rather than a how are we going to get there ride! Our original plan was AV8 Cafe in the Cotswolds and I had planned a little ride there but this changed the night before because the weather was hot and thought the coast would be good shout

So what type of rider are you? Do you mind being out all day but knowing you were having fun. Do you prefer to be out by a certain time and back by a certain time regardless of what roads you take to make that time? Have your thought process changed since having families or age related, maybe since commuting on bike to and from work, has that had an effect on your lust for biking on a nice sunny free day or possibly even bike related, out on a certain type of bike eg your Cafe racer so out for only a couple of hours but when out on the sports bike it's a all day thing? Etc etc.

Just making me think about peoples thought processes when swinging your leg over your pride and joy and even the build up to a ride out

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: So when you go out....

Post by Kwacky »

I'm only using my bikes for work at the moment. I don't get much inclination to just go out for pootle. I can't remember the last time I went out for a ride on my own for the sake of it. I've barely touched the MV.

Riding everyday to work takes a lot of the fun out of it.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Rossgo wrote:On your bike do you go for destination or the ride?
Both.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Both, sometimes on the same ride with meeting friends along the way then deciding on the fly where to stop for lunch. 8)
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Kwacky wrote:I'm only using my bikes for work at the moment. I don't get much inclination to just go out for pootle. I can't remember the last time I went out for a ride on my own for the sake of it. I've barely touched the MV.

Riding everyday to work takes a lot of the fun out of it.
This is me also. However. With an 11momth old and a three year old, I rarely get a Weekend to play. Also with a wife with mental health issues doesn't help. And all the normal life stuff.

So in a way I am glad I get to ride to work. Otherwise I wouldn't be riding at all
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Similar boat for me at the moment as well. With the family, regular trips in the caravan, and running I have very little free time. Doing the distance I do during the week as well I don't always want to ride at the weekend.

However, when I do go out for a solo ride I don't plan at all. Recently I've also taken to challenging myself to get to regular stops, like the coast, but without using any roads I already know. It's a fun game but you have to be prepared to ride any kind of road, and I really do mean almost any kind..

I now really enjoy looking round the little villages as I pass through rather than hitting the main drags and just blasting along at warp speed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

All sorts, trip out to meet for a breakfast or cake.... sometimes a bimble out after.
All day ride outs with the triumph guys, not done in a while.
General mystery tour on my own, a few of those recently, new bike an all, needs running in don't you know..... sneaked the link plug in tonight, just to see lol....... (giggle) (devil)
Started to do some suspension experiments as well.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I like Nutz idea of knowing where to end up but by not using roads you already know.

I do sometimes take a turn down a side road I have never been on before. If you always ride the same roads, you might miss out on a better road you didn't know and it doesn't challenge your riding.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:
Both.
Is this historical data you are commenting on or have you bought a bike now?
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

I usually go out for the ride but always have the trip/destination planned.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I only ever ride for pleasure but my mileage has reduced massively as family life and work always seems to be the priority on my time.

I normally have routes planned or ride on local roads I know too well. This needs to change as I ve found my observation is poor as I know the roads like the back of my hand. I need to follow the lead set by others above and just go out on a mystery tour ride. This is part of the reason I bought the s3 to have something less intense to go for a more casual ride out on a variety of roads.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

kiwikrasher wrote:
D41 wrote:
Both.
Yes & no.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I typically had a few hours spare time so only ever went on the same sort of routes and never just explored.

I built up a knowledge of certain areas and found my favourite routes for different moods.

I'd have my ways of getting there and quick ways of getting back too.

Typically I'd get into Wales via the Ross road but sometimes I'd venture through Newent towards Hereford, other times I would go to Malvern British Camp then head to Leominster, Crossgates, Builth Wells, Abergavenney, Usk, Monmouth and home.

Other days I would have a spare 45 minutes so I'd rinse the local roads I know well. On days with a lot of time I would have a much more "flowing" ride and be out for hours trying to get lost basically.. just exploring. These days were never frequent though
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:
D41 wrote:
Both.
Yes & no.
Well pull your finger out and get one!! It sounds like you have plenty of time to go riding. You must miss it.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

An interesting question.

As I only ride for pleasure atm, I'm not bothered where I go. For example, my daughter wanted to go on the bike this weekend so I said we'd go out one day. It didn't matter where, she wasn't fussed, just wanted a ride.
But if I'm carrying a pillion I don't want lots of tight corners, nor blatting up and down a motorway. So I do need to plan on some occasions.

On top of that, there's a company called BikerPics who sit at the side of the road and take your picture as you go past. I knew that on Sunday they'd be on the A44. So I planned my route to incorporate this (and also found that the A44 is a perfect road for me to take a pillion on and not be bothered about speeding), and given they were only like 20 minutes from Aberystwyth, it made sense to go to the seaside and get some fish & chips in.
Without planning I wouldn't have got any of this done. Did I feel a lack of adventure? Yes, possibly.
Did it detract from my day?
Absolutely not. I got exactly what I wanted out of it, so I guess to answer your question...
Both, depends on what I feel like that day.
Blade

Post by Blade »

The snappers get any decent pics Itchy?
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

I'll put a couple up in a bit.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

This is us coming back from Aberystwyth...
Screenshot_20190828_104257.jpg
It's a better one than the one we got on the trip out there. Holly was minding her own business and she seemed to realise what was going on at the exact moment the photographer took the picture...
Screenshot_20190828_085510.jpg
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Apologies for the quality, I've had to screenshot them. Haven't made a decision on purchasing yet, but I probably will get one as a memento.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Nice shots Itchy and a great road to ride.