New tyres 765RS

The news and your views about biking
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Re: New tyres 765RS

Post by Itchy »

Cav wrote: Except the Bridgestone BT016s which are a death trap and somehow still on sale!!!

(sweat)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I find the BT016 pros very good. Great for fast road riding and not too bad in the wet as well (although don't push in the wet for obvious reasons).

Personally want to try the Mitchelin Power RS

But similarly want to save a bit of dosh and go back to the Mitchelin Pilot Power. I had a couple of sets of these and they were great in all conditions (literally). We spend a lot of dosh on tyres but like someone has said it's all personal and it's also hard to find a bad tyre. We all have our own thought process on this subject!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I genuinely believe the BT016 is dangerous. The tyre just grips with no feedback or feeling so you believe you're well within the tyres limits. As you start to press on the tyre can just snap on you and let go.

This is just my experience of it but when I got catapulted out of the seat and up on top of the handlebars I quickly changed my mind on the tyres that were "incredibly grippy".

I wasn't being daft, I was going round the same corners gradually building speed and angle but keeping just as smooth on the controls as before.

That's why I feel they're dangerous
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I crashed a BT16 on the road at minimal speed. I asked for too much brake at 15mph. Didn’t like them at all.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

So what you going for Duke?

I see Metzler and I think pirelli are offering £25 Amazon voucher in there current promotion.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I've heard stories about the BT016 the pros are better though. I had a friend at my old work place who came off on the BT016 on his way to work. Bike was totalled. He was alright though - 1 piece leathers everyday.

Never tried the standard 016s though. I find the pros pretty decent. I would happily buy again. But I do fully understand where you are coming from.

For me it's the Dunlop Qualifiers- amazing in the dry and when warm had a lot of fun on them. But in the wet and cold the twitch and skirm, so much so I came off. Never again

Also the Supercorsas which at the time I used my bike in all weathers so they weren't the best for that. But used for exactly 1 week in beautiful hot weather, cold peeing it down weather and then once on a nice morning 30 seconds down the road on cold tyres, round a roundabout and slip. I watched my bike sparking along the floor and me sliding behind it. With a ditsy woman driver almost squashing my head with her wheel. Opening up her window and saying 'you alright' before I even had a chance to answer, she turned her wheels and drove off. Thanks for that I thought . So of course I don't like them

BUT I do really want to try the Supercorsas again just for summer, the more road oriented tyre of Supercorsa that is. Heard such good things about them that I feel I am missing out on using them lol!!

Cav

Post by Cav »

Rossgo wrote:I've heard stories about the BT016 the pros are better though. I had a friend at my old work place who came off on the BT016 on his way to work. Bike was totalled. He was alright though - 1 piece leathers everyday.

Never tried the standard 016s though. I find the pros pretty decent. I would happily buy again. But I do fully understand where you are coming from.

For me it's the Dunlop Qualifiers- amazing in the dry and when warm had a lot of fun on them. But in the wet and cold the twitch and skirm, so much so I came off. Never again

Also the Supercorsas which at the time I used my bike in all weathers so they weren't the best for that. But used for exactly 1 week in beautiful hot weather, cold peeing it down weather and then once on a nice morning 30 seconds down the road on cold tyres, round a roundabout and slip. I watched my bike sparking along the floor and me sliding behind it. With a ditsy woman driver almost squashing my head with her wheel. Opening up her window and saying 'you alright' before I even had a chance to answer, she turned her wheels and drove off. Thanks for that I thought ImageImage. So of course I don't like them

BUT I do really want to try the Supercorsas again just for summer, the more road oriented tyre of Supercorsa that is. Heard such good things about them that I feel I am missing out on using them lol!!

Even the SP is too much tyre for the road... when you make yourself jump with sudden knee drag you know the tyres are too much! ]:)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Yes, and I'm sure that 99% of riders out there are having some major issues with "sudden knee drag"..../

Cav....you're one of a very small percentage of riders who can push the limits of a bike and/or it's tyres.
For most people, sudden knee drag results in sudden knee surgery. Doesn't stop them wanting that extra safety margin that a super-sticky tyre offers them...real or perceived.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Have I missed a post, this is a new bike, how come you need new hoops already ?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Frankie wrote:Have I missed a post, this is a new bike, how come you need new hoops already ?
Brexit induced tyre shortage (wasntme)

Panic buy now (lol)
Trevorking1964
Your Bike: Honda cbr600rr

Post by Trevorking1964 »

BT 016 pros on my bike. Circa £135 inc del.
Can't go wrong at that price. Did Anglesey on them last year as well. Not a moments hesitation in buying another set when needed.
Loads of feedback, can even feel tarmac grain change.
Had the original standard BT016's supplied on a few new bikes a few years ago and never really liked them.
When they needed changing i went elsewhere.
The pro version though are excellent and a bargain as well.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Monty wrote:...... and the BT021. Hated them.
Had them on the Daytona 600 and progressed onto the BT023’s. I didn’t know any better as I’d been off road bikes for 15 yrs. Thought I was just crap at feeling what tyres were doing.

Wasn’t till the track bike on Racetec’s that I realised it was just because the BT’s were bloody wooden.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

D41 wrote:Yes, and I'm sure that 99% of riders out there are having some major issues with "sudden knee drag"..../

Cav....you're one of a very small percentage of riders who can push the limits of a bike and/or it's tyres.
For most people, sudden knee drag results in sudden knee surgery. Doesn't stop them wanting that extra safety margin that a super-sticky tyre offers them...real or perceived.
It's more the fact that you end up riding considerably faster and end up with chicken strips and poor wear if you ride sensibly - hence the sudden knee dragging from trying to lean a little more
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

To be fair theres so much choice I don't think you can go wrong.

Cav what is the SC Supercorsa? What is the road orientated version?

Blade

Post by Blade »

Rossgo SC standards for Special Compound of which there are three I believe, SC0, SC1 and SC2.

There mainly for Track use and are the homologated tyre in supersport racing, although people buy them as scrubs for road bikes and seem to be happy with them in that role.

The road compound of Supercorsa is SP

If you see v2 or v3 this merely means version 2 or 3 respectively
Cav

Post by Cav »

What Blade said. I've used SC1 and SC2 on the road and I actually think the SP or Metzeler K3 (equivalent to SP) is the grippier tyre. Obviously only on the road, on the track there's a few seconds between them
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers fellas. So I defo wouldn't want the track orientated tyre, too much hassle for road conditions and for me theres no point risking my bike.

I'm fairly brisk when I ride BUT also have nice chilled rides too with my dad and do get caught out, almost everytime I go out anywhere!! Are the SC worth it or better to stick with something I'd be a bit more happier on eg Mitchelin powers or metezler M7RR? Not fussed about mileage out of a tyre as it's for fun, what about price? Or would you guys recommend the Metelezer k3? Are each version of the SC V1, 2 or 3 better than each one?

I know I always say tyres are a personal opinion but when I see people riding around on Supercorsas I just wonder why I messed up and where it was because they were the more track oriented tyre (it was a track bike) and if theres lots of people who use them then it's got to be a good tyre

Lots of questions sorry fellas lol

Blade

Post by Blade »

Rossgo for fast road riding in a variety of conditions and the occasional trackday I would recommend the Michelin RS or the M7RR. You wont be disappointed with either and imo these are the best all round road tyres, although others will have other personal preferences.

Alternatively

If you do want to Supercorsas go for the SP. The v3 is the latest one and arguably slightly better than the v2 but subsequently you will find the v2 which is still a great tyre a little cheaper.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

This is what happens to a BT021 when you spend an afternoon trying to out-brake a Panigale. I know I was abusing it, but there's no excuse for that kind of uneven wear. And yes it was correctly inflated.
IMG_0672.jpeg
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:Rossgo for fast road riding in a variety of conditions and the occasional trackday I would recommend the Michelin RS or the M7RR. You wont be disappointed with either and imo these are the best all round road tyres, although others will have other personal preferences.

Alternatively

If you do want to Supercorsas go for the SP. The v3 is the latest one and arguably slightly better than the v2 but subsequently you will find the v2 which is still a great tyre a little cheaper.
Yes I do defo want to try the Mitchelin RS..I've always been a Mitchelin fan and find them very good. They certainly know how to make a good tyre in my opinion. Would love to try them. And the M7RR are fantastic tyres again, these I have tried and even after 5k miles they were still pretty decent for tread and that was including a track day.

Thanks for your input. Possibly try the SC V2 then but unsure if my nerves will get over it. Plus depends on price. If prices are too much then I'd prob go for a cheaper tyre but probably something I'd know are fine eg Pilot Powers as I have had a couple of sets before of them but I do want to break the habit lol