Blade's Street Triple 765R Review

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Blade's Street Triple 765R Review

Post by Blade »

Took a Street Triple R for a test ride yesterday, which was a bit of an accident tbh. I had inquired on Friday about going on the Speed Triple RS (SP RS) but they said they hadn't got a demo bike available, but I could go on the ST765RS, If I went back on Monday as they reckoned I would prefer it to the SP RS.

Weirdly when I got there on Monday they hadn't got a ST765RS but did have a SP RS and a STR765, so I said fook it I'll ride both (happy)

I had a good test route mapped out over approx 100-110 miles that involved; a short amount of city centre riding, motorway, country villages, fast country A roads, mountain roads and back lane "B" roads so a good mixture of everything, which as some of the roads were dry, some damp and some actually rivers this was going to be a good test of the bikes ability.

So out I head on the little STR765 with a full tank of fuel and the first thing that I notice is the obvious :^ how upright the riding position is. As its a relatively small bike i was not expecting it to seem so tall and I would say sat on the bike I felt as elevated as I did on the BMW GS And Ducati Multistrada, that I had test rode previously.

The next thing you notice is how well the bike fuels, not surprising really as the D675 fuels very well and this more modern 765 engine is maybe a little more buttery smooth in fairness. Talking of the motor, I ve got to say this and hope it does not offend any owners but its not as great as I had been told or led to believe. Its a good motor YES!!!! but people and the media have you believe its a torquey unit and IMO its not. Dont get me wrong its flexible and will pull from 30mph in 6th gear cleanly but unless your giving it revs, you find your constantly waiting for something to happen and for it to get going with the throttle fully open and on the stop. Don't get me wrong I m not saying its bad and maybe I expected too much after listening to all the blurb, but its still a middleweight engine and needs plenty of revs to get a shake on in my experience. Quick yes, definitely yes, but you have to work for it and plenty will tell you that's no bad thing, all I'm pointing out is its not the torque monster I was told to expect. Dynos graphs might say other wise but going by my seat of my pants dyno its not more torquey than my D675 in back to back riding. Being very honest and comparing that motor to my 675 I would not say its not any stronger in the mid range. I tried the flexibility on the motorway and on the A roads in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears from a range of different speeds and found unless she is heading past 8-9000 rpm your found waiting for it to get going and if your cruising in a high gear you have to drop it a few gears if you want to make quick overtakes, rather than breeze by, which to be fair is the same on my D675.

I would be interested to hear if Cookie and Duke think the same, as they have come from more torqued orientated bikes and maybe share the same thought or disagree????? We are all different after all (lol)

Don't read that as its bad or sh1t (shake) and maybe its just me, but I think its been sold as something its not or at least to me it had been. Once I got past that point and started reving the engine out and riding it for what it is, a fast, fun motorcycle, its a little gem just as the D675 is. Definitely not wanting to be negative about the bike, its just I found myself a little disappointed but maybe I expect too much.

The suspension is obviously a little softer than my D675 but it suits the bike and its intended use well and if you use the revs and throw her around it can certainly motor with confidence down a back lane B road. I can see why Duke has picked it for this role as its something the bike clearly excels at (y) .

The brakes are good, but lack initial bite as most road bikes do these days in my experience, but that's easily and cheaply fixed with a more aggressive fast road pad change.

So what did I think of it. Great bike, plenty of pace and good fun but not for me unfortunately :S .

I want something with more torque, and that's not cos I m talented or a riding god, probably the opposite its because A, I want something different to the D675, other than just a sit up and beg riding position and B, for the type of riding and use I have in my mind for my next bike a engine with more torque will better fit my needs.

Thats the beauty of biking we are all different with different wants, needs and expectations from a bike. Duke clearly wants a fast, light and nimble bike for thrashing up Back lanes, away from the old bill and having a good old giggle on, at sensible-ish speeds and the Street 765 is fantastic in that role. Me I want a bike more like Dukes old Multistrada, stacks of Torque, capable of a gentle lazy sunday blast, good with a pillion, comfortable for touring or chasing sportsbikes down twisty welsh roads or shredding rubber on a trackday.

So onward's to the Speed Triple RS, maybe this has all the answers i m looking for :?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Blade's Street Triple 765R Review

Post by Kwacky »

Fair enough. If that's the case it's probably good you didn't have the RS as that's closer to a modern 600cc engine as you have to keep it up in the revs to get the most fun from it.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Good write up there Blade, I often get more information from a review which isn't so glowing.

If you want torque, the R1250R blew me away, it's a heavy bike but the weight is so low it's still nimble and the brakes had great initial bite on the one I tested... Actually, the torque figure is the same as on my SuperDuke GT, but it's shift cam engine means that you don't have to go looking for it, it's always there. The GT is not to be bothered below 4K, it will shake and grumble until 5K then smooth out and GLF.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The plus of the torque in a triple is that it’s quite high across the whole range. There is no sudden thump to it like the Multi had. That does mean there isn’t any instant rush.

The Multi did have that instant rush at approx 6k rpm but in town to stick to 30 mph I would quite often be in 2nd or first gear. It wouldn’t do 30 in anything higher. The 765 on the other hand will do that in 5th or 6th gear.

The 765 is about keeping your corner speed high.

The Multi is about getting it turned and then thumping the throttle open.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I've been on the 1250RS and it's a bloody riot. For something you expect your grandad to want to ride it's a proper sportsbike chaser.

If the old bill were behind me on an RS, regardless of what I was riding, I would be staying well within the guide lines of the law (blush)

The law is a set of guide lines, isn't it?
Last edited by Blade on 30 Jul 2019, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I took the 765 RS for a spin some time ago, lovely machine for sure, but not enough to get me off my litre street fighter... or roadster as term seems to be...
If I get another bike, it will be another S1000 R Sport again.... :)
It would look even better with a head light set up like the RR, in a nice little nose cone..... (mm)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Frankie wrote:I took the 765 RS for a spin some time ago, lovely machine for sure, but not enough to get me off my litre street fighter... or roadster as term seems to be...
If I get another bike, it will be another S1000 R Sport again.... :)
It would look even better with a head light set up like the RR, in a nice little nose cone..... (mm)
I do fancy another go on a s1r. I didnt gell in Italy but maybe I need to have another go as its clearly a cracking bike (y)
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

It is a cracking bike, I cannot fault it, the latest offering has all the electronics as mine, but a smoother engine, with the up/down shift. I am sure the next one will get the latest RR engine, re tuned. As the S1R Gives you much lower down grunt, rather than at the very top end of the rev range.

But saying that it would be a crap ride out if I did not see the rev light going nuts LOL..... plenty of beans, it likes it, it wants it, it needs it..... (rubs knees) lmao....
Its proved it was great on track, its proved itself on weekend blasts, and its proved itself on euro tours.... took the luggage I needed, was comfy, cant ask for more.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

We are lucky to have such a wide choice of great bikes. Something out there for everyone.

Two types of bike I haven’t tried are a single cylinder thumper or a boxer Twin.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Singles are a lot of fun, I think if I had super Moto wheels and tyres on the Sherco that would have been used a lot more, 450 single was insane lol....
don't like the boxer engines myself, and to be fair BMW base many of their great machines on it, but not for me. As you say mate, choices we are indeed spoilt for :) long may it continue.
I fancy an electric bike, now they are Torquay ha ha spell check changed it..... Torquey,,,,
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Frankie wrote:Singles are a lot of fun, I think if I had super Moto wheels and tyres on the Sherco that would have been used a lot more, 450 single was insane lol....
don't like the boxer engines myself, and to be fair BMW base many of their great machines on it, but not for me. As you say mate, choices we are indeed spoilt for :) long may it continue.
I fancy an electric bike, now they are Torquay ha ha spell check changed it..... Torquey,,,,
Short stoke 450’s motocrossers are angry motors, having one as a motard on the road would be fun but bad for your licence!!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Thanks for the write up Blade. I must admit I have got used to the big fat lazy torque of the Multi, so can only imagine what you are used to on the Panigale.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Have you given the D675 another ride since testing the 765R? You may not notice the increase but you'll notice the decrease in torque
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cav wrote:Have you given the D675 another ride since testing the 765R? You may not notice the increase but you'll notice the decrease in torque
Yes I needed get home (blush)

No notice of any real world decrease.
Last edited by Blade on 31 Jul 2019, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher wrote:Thanks for the write up Blade. I must admit I have got used to the big fat lazy torque of the Multi, so can only imagine what you are used to on the Panigale.
Strangely you rev the Pani out more than a normal twin as that what it seems to like.

The best bike I had for buttery smooth, but rapid, instant drive in any gear, at any revs was the 08 Blade I had.

I could swear that thing had a turbine in there rather than an IL4.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade great write up. Shame you didn't get along with it but everyone's different. So which one do you prefer- the Daytona 675 or the ST 765?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Blade

Post by Blade »

D675 hands down (y)
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

So did you ride the speed rs? Where's your thoughts on that?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Well the new Daytona is just around the corner, maybe that will be the saving grace and be a huge amount better for you

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:D675 hands down (y)
I’ll race ya, Mister. :D