And now for something completely different - Duke's 765ST RS

Love your bike or working on a project, post up a thread here and share with the forum
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: And now for something completely different - Duke's 765S

Post by Kwacky »

Cav wrote:I don't understand why people don't like Supercorsas in the wet - they're one of the most predictable tyres around!!

I got caught out in a monsoon-level downpour riding back through Monmouth-Huntley and still rode above the limit around all but the tightest corners on that stretch. What's more, you can powerslide on demand if you so wish !! They're also really good on the brakes in the wet.
Cav, very few road riders have your level of skill on a bike. You might love a nicely controlled power slide but to 95% of the biking community that's a slide and it causes panic. The reaction to the panic is throttle off and brakes on and we all know what happens next.

They're not a wet weather tyre. There's bugger all tread on them.

I rode the RS in the wet. I'm a reasonably confident rider in the rain. The bike was still fun but despite me being smooth the TC was kicking in.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Marco Melandri and most people probably couldn't tell I'm sliding the bike and I also don't do it often. It's the only tyre I've had the confidence to do that sort of thing with. The front is unbelievable - much better than the Dunlop Sportsmart which I loved so much.

I have to add that I haven't ridden a bike with TC to know if that would intervene with my road riding either.. I guess I need to get myself a test ride once I'm recovered.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

When I had the CBR600 trackbike, I once did a few sessions on Supercorsas in the wet at Caldwell I do remember that being on the track bike gave me so much confidence even on the Supercorsas that I was passing much faster bikes and riders. It’s still one of those days that I wondered what I was doing so different to make it feel easy but I guess it was that one thing you cannot buy - confidence.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I've said it before - confidence is everything. I found 18 seconds from a mixture of learning the circuit and building confidence back at Portimao.

You may have found that your CBR600 was too soft to go fast in the dry and that meant it was perfect for the wet (y)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Kwacky is right, Cav....if you're doing well in the wet on SuperCorsas, it's because of you....it's not because of the tyres, it's despite the tyres.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:
Cav wrote:I don't understand why people don't like Supercorsas in the wet - they're one of the most predictable tyres around!!

I got caught out in a monsoon-level downpour riding back through Monmouth-Huntley and still rode above the limit around all but the tightest corners on that stretch. What's more, you can powerslide on demand if you so wish !! They're also really good on the brakes in the wet.
Cav, very few road riders have your level of skill on a bike. You might love a nicely controlled power slide but to 95% of the biking community that's a slide and it causes panic. The reaction to the panic is throttle off and brakes on and we all know what happens next.

They're not a wet weather tyre. There's bugger all tread on them.

I rode the RS in the wet. I'm a reasonably confident rider in the rain. The bike was still fun but despite me being smooth the TC was kicking in.
What I would like to add to Kwacky's valid points, is that you may still be young enough to be immortal.
When we were young (I say "we", because I'm fairly certain I won't be alone with this observation) we could all push the limits because we knew in our heart of hearts that we were indestructible.
Somewhere over the pursuing years, that perception will be eroded & replaced with risk aversion. Even in you. (nod)

IMO you should enjoy that wisdom & certainty that is bestowed solely upon youth, for as long & as much as you are able.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Fair point but crashing 5 time in 5 months and putting myself in hospital aged 17 knocked it out of me pretty sharpish!

I've noticed a shift in my approach from the age of 22 to be fair and I certainly feel like I'm an old man. I never fully push to the limit - even on circuit. I think that's probably why I've been fortuitous enough to have kept my bikes upright since age 17 (fingerscrossed)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Cav wrote:Fair point but crashing 5 time in 5 months and putting myself in hospital aged 17 knocked it out of me pretty sharpish!

I've noticed a shift in my approach from the age of 22 to be fair and I certainly feel like I'm an old man. I never fully push to the limit - even on circuit. I think that's probably why I've been fortuitous enough to have kept my bikes upright since age 17 (fingerscrossed)
Possibly us two are "exceptions to prove,,," then Cav. I wish I'd never crashed mine since you were 17 :D
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I've actually got some new pirelli angels to go on too Duke once the Supercorsas are wornr. And weather turns. I'd rather have plenty of tread in wet weather riding
duke63

Post by duke63 »

One thing is for sure, the ST RS is up there with the most fun you can have with clothes on.

I am have to recalibrate at times because it turns in so quickly, I am apexing corners too early. No doubt the Supercorsas help with that.

Good job I am running it in because came across a scamera van at 8.15 this evening.
D6

Post by D6 »

Wow. I've never seen one after normal hours
duke63

Post by duke63 »

A51 by Sandon.
D6

Post by D6 »

Wow. Cheers. I'll watch out around there.

I found a little while to get used to the sharp profile of the Supercorsas. Done almost 900 miles now. So everything seems natural again
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

duke63 wrote: I am have to recalibrate at times because it turns in so quickly, I am apexing corners too early. No doubt the Supercorsas help with that.
It's funny isn't it how you adapt your riding to a particular bike. I've found the same switching to the BMW.

You get to do it all again when the limiter is removed (bandit)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

D6 wrote:Wow. I've never seen one after normal hours
They must be skint (blush)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:One thing is for sure, the ST RS is up there with the most fun you can have with clothes on.

I am have to recalibrate at times because it turns in so quickly, I am apexing corners too early. No doubt the Supercorsas help with that.

Good job I am running it in because came across a scamera van at 8.15 this evening.
Good aren't they 8)

Once it's run in you can rev it through corners, it gets better (clap)
D6

Post by D6 »

**** running it in. Just do it
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Just found this posting on the ST RS owners FB page:

Hi All - went for a blast to Wales yesterday and called in at Caffeine and Machine on the way home , after we left I pulled over in a Farm entrance to adjust my Ear Piece , a Bentley pulled onto the verge 50 yards in front of me and a Chap got out ( slacks , open shirt and braces ) he approached me and said “ are you ok ? “ - “ Yes I said I’m just messing with my Ear piece “ - “ What do you think of the Bike ? “
“ Great I said , I love it and Thanks for stopping and asking if I was ok “
“ No problem “ , he said and held out his hand for me to shake it - I shook his hand and Thanked him again
I told him my name was James - he said “ my names John - John Bloor , I make those ( pointing at my Bike ! )
What are the chances John Bloor actually stopping and checking that I was ok
I should have got a Photo !
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

HAHA that's great
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

I've just googled him.. besides looking like Ed Balls he looks a lot younger than his 76 years would suggest!!