Sound for the pound!

The news and your views about biking
TheJuicyJester
Your Bike: The Invisibike

Sound for the pound!

Post by TheJuicyJester »

Easy does it. I'm on a reasonably tight budget and know next to nothing about keeping my wheels secure.

Can y'all help me out with some suggestions of which security systems work best and don't cost a bomb?
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Re: Sound for the pound!

Post by D6 »

A big beefy chain and padlock is always good. Try and keep them tight and off the ground to make trying to cut either very difficult. Obviously the more you spend, the better the chain. But even cheap bulky ones will be a deterrent.

I'm not a fan of disc locks, mainly due to them being too easy to forget about and riding off with it still on.

If it is in a garage, you can buy alarms quite cheap. Either battery powered or hook up to a plug. No theif will like a noise. Even if it is easy to turn off/smash. It will still give you taht initial sound to maybe wake you up.
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

Try and stretch your budget to something like an Almax chain. Costly but difficult to get through. Most of the cheaper chains can be done over with some bolt croppers, but will deter an opportunist thief. U-locks are quite inexpensive and will act as a deterrent.
A decent alarm/immobiliser can could save you money as insurance companies love em, so worth considering even if it is out of your budget.
Like D6 I have an issue with disc locks, or rather my front mud guard does, lol.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Again I would just echo what others have said, big massive chain. It something that a thief will have to work round and have to plan for...if it takes them 2 more minutes of nicking your bike then least it's 2 more minutes worth of possibly getting caught.
I have a disc lock and have forgotten all about it and rode off with it!! But this is why I bought a alarmed disc lock anytime I forget about it the alarm sounds way before damage!! However I really bought it because it something a thief hates at night, sound, and trust me their loud enough to annoy them and possibly hopefully run away!!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

This is going to be a little monotonous J J, because I will also suggest that a good chain & padlock is almost a must these days. Almax if you can afford it, or there are some pretty good value Oxford ones if funds are tight.
I agree with Rossgo, a discklock with built in alarm makes for the best value security, but is not really adequate on it's own.

IMO the best security is to be constantly aware of the possibility that some lowlife would like to make away with your bike, and avoid leaving it in locations that will offer them the opportunity.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-HEAVY-DUTY ... 51a58a1038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Best you can afford, mate.

Some of these cannot be broken with bolt croppers as the chain wont fit in the jaws of the croppers.

http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/se ... ain-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Aldi do an excellent front padlock with an alarm for less than £10. I have a brand new one at home. If you're still looking when I'm back from holiday I can sell it to you.
TheJuicyJester
Your Bike: The Invisibike

Post by TheJuicyJester »

All is well. the g/f splashed out on some bulky OXFORD gear ;)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I had to do a double take at the date of the thread :)

At least you're sorted
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Good spot! For anyone else looking just got a wireless alarm for the garage from Aldi. £12.99
20150311_161226.jpg
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I looked at that Andy I could be wrong but looked to me it activates upon any detection including your own as designed as a driveway alarm rather than a shed or garage alarm. I didn't see on the box any mention of a remote or keypad when I looked at them on Sunday. Let me know if I got it wrong because if I have at that price I will snap one up.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

You're more or less right Blade. The pir (motion sensor) goes in the garage and the alarm sounder goes inside the house ie on the other side of another locked door. You switch it on/off with the sounder so you can switch it off before you go in the garage. It's just a cheap temporary addition for the garage. Ultimately I'll add a wireless sensor to the garage connected to the house alarm. Even old alarm systems can be adapted to take wireless sensors so you can expand the system.
It also dawned on me I could amuse myself by hiding the pir about the house so when my gf opens a cupboard door etc the alarm goes off :D
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

That sounds good Andy especially hiding the pit as a prank.