Dash cams

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Dash cams

Post by duke63 »

After driving home from work last night and nearly being taken out by cnuts who thought it OK to overtake at speed in a 40mph limit with traffic coming the other way and then cut across me to turn left, i think i need one to protect myself.

Anyone got any suggestions? I notice the latest version of my Audi now comes with one as an option fitted to the rear view mirror.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Re: Dash cams

Post by Stonesie »

I have a Chinese viofo A119, records in 2k and even gets nice clear video at night. Never needed it so far but it's nice to have and is a relatively small wedge shape so doesn't get in the way.

Plenty of video reviews on YouTube. Checkout Techmoan he has done a lot.
Last edited by Stonesie on 13 Jul 2019, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I've got cheap Fleabay specials, seem to work fine. The night-time footage seems to highlight the differences, as the very cheapest one is almost black screen on unlit roads.
duke63 wrote:....Anyone got any suggestions? ...
:? How about one for your wife's car too ? -One that starts to record even if the vehicle is parked up & receives a shock.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I like the Thinkware models - i have one on the Jag and am in the process of deciding on one for our new car. It was a Thinkware F50 but they have upgraded the models since then.

You can get models that have two cameras for front and rear too.

They can be set to record in parking mode and monitor the car battery so they dont drain it.

I tried a cheap chinese model and had no end of problems with missing sections on my journeys.

My other bugbear with dashcams is their size, so the F70 or F100 is my choice i think - small and inobtrusive - you can mount it behind the rear view mirror and forget about it. Cost in a large high speed SD card (less issues as they are constantly recording video and a large one will keep 24hrs of driving) - they are so cheap these days, then test it and forget about it. The smaller models dont have GPS but you can add it and i'm not sure i want the police taking my footage with speed imprinted on it anyway.

https://thinkwaredashcam.store/product/ ... -cam-f100/
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Nextbase one for me, just don't get caught up in reliving the rubbish of the day all over again..... I did, watching back all the crap that happened to me that day, big mistake, what is the point.... Ha ha, I do post a few snippets from time to time, but now it just sits in the car and the SD card is on a loop.
Should anything need to be locked/protected I push a button and that segment of film is saved.

Good quality video day and night, had it over a year now. Nice thing about this one, is the cable and mount is fixed, even though I just run it of the cig socket. but if I want to remove the camera it comes off the slip on mount and the rest is all in place behind my mirror. Neat and tidy :)
Mine is an earlier one of this one, I don't have wifi….

https://www.halfords.com/technology/das ... -cam-312gw#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

It's a wise decision I have been considering the same but I always seem to find other ways to spend my money, however I realise I do really need it with these tw@s out on our roads nowadays

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Not sure how much mine costs now or if they're included in the Prime Day sale but here's a video clip of my Yi dashcam:

[video]https://youtu.be/y_oVhlIZ_2w[/video]