Waterproof gear

The news and your views about biking
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Waterproof gear

Post by C00kiemonster »

After getting soaked most days last week, i'm upgrading my waterproof gear as you need to learn from these things and my waterproofs are now old and not great.

I'm a fair weather biker most of the time, so i dont need a Klim jacket etc and touring kit as it's brilliant stuff but not useful for me as it would get used twice a year, so i'm still looking at kit thats goes over existing kit.

I have a one piece waterproof that fits over my kit presently and I can understand the logic of it, but its a pain to put on and flaps about in the wind.

I want stuff that fits over, but perhaps a 2 piece that doesnt flap about and looks good (it's important ;) ) Plus i can wear the trousers as a just in case and then put the jacket on if it's bad?

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm drawn to something like this (as i like Held kit) https://www.ghostbikes.com/25238-held-r ... w-kit.html

If it's 2 piece doesn't the water get in at the waist?

I'm also after some waterproof summer gloves.

I'm too old to be as cold and wet as i was last week. (facepalm)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Waterproof gear

Post by Kwacky »

I got as far as Klim jacket. That is the right answer.

/end thread.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/111409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are the gloves I use. They're a bit of a compromise for summer/waterproof gloves. They've got all of the summer race glove armour and fit you need but I have found that the finger tips can get damp in torrential rain after a couple of hours.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Waterproofs look good Cookie and good price on the gloves Kwacky posted.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Triumph do some :P
Attachments
rain jacket.jpg
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

D6 wrote:Triumph do some :P
Got a link? I cant find those on the Triumph site. Do you do discounts ;)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Held Air and Dry gloves are brilliant and all you need on a trip. They are warm enough and completely dry in rain and you can put your hand into the outer section only when its sunny and they vent as well as any other gloves i have used. I would suggest going a size up from normal.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... prod/99478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My waterproofs are Rev It. They are good as they have a non stick lining so are easy to put on and off when its raining. Mine are 6 years old now and still waterproof. They pack down relatively small as well so are easy to carry.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... t_cat/775/(9;product_rating;DESC;0-0;m123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

C00kiemonster wrote:
I want stuff that fits over, but perhaps a 2 piece that doesnt flap about and looks good (it's important ;) ) Plus i can wear the trousers as a just in case and then put the jacket on if it's bad?
It is a question I get asked often when I am asked to talk in my secondary capacity as a clothing expert.

What most dealers and riders here in the UK don't realise is that 99% of 1 piece suits are designed for the European male form who has a short body and long legs, where here in the UK we tend to have long bodies and long legs which means that extra strain is placed on the crotch area which is why the seams start t stretch and then burst causing the embarrasing wet patch.

On top of that, unless you are wearing a 1 piece from the ghetgo, you only put it on when it starts to rain and so you are dragging a plastic or nylon material over a wet or damp outer garment which also places additional strain on the material and the seams.

9 times out of 10 you just get into the suit and then decide that you need a pee and so you have to start all over again.

With a 2 piece, you do not get the strain as you do on a 1 piece so it stays drier and stronger for longer.

When it starts to rain you can slip the jacket straight on so your top half is covered whilst you then put your trousers on at leisure and so you are not dragging the material as you do with a 1 piece.

You can also use the jacket as a decent windcheater or themal outer layer in the colder weather.

But then if you get your suit on and you need the bathroom, then it is easy enough withot having to remove the whle suit.

When I was the UK importer for Harro from Germany, I refused to sell 1 piece waterproofs for those reasons as it used to cost other dealers a fortune in time in having to send the leaking items back.

I no doubt lost a few sales but I very rarely had anyone back complaining that theor waterproofs leaked.

Just my view for what its worth.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

C00kiemonster wrote:
D6 wrote:Triumph do some :P
Got a link? I cant find those on the Triumph site. Do you do discounts ;)
I think you can download a clothing brochure on the website. But generally the products are on the shelf at dealers (or they can order it in for you). They should have clothing catalogs.

Clothing is tricky, and essentially the clothing team only order once or twice a season. so once it is all gone. IT's gone. Normally core stuff (like waterproofs) are in each season so not an issue.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

If you don't want to spend much on gloves and just want then as a spare set then the Oxford gloves I had kept me earn and dry all day, and a bargain at £45

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcyc ... _and_fluo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Rukka all over... Particularly the goretex pro level. 3 hours in that monsoon up mway last week.. bone dry all over.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Cookie put a set of latex gloves under the seat and you'll never be caught out or have wet hands again.

If I was going for a dedicated wet glove, for me the only choice is the one kwacky posted. Best summer / waterproof glove on the market and a cracking deal.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Blade wrote:Cookie put a set of latex gloves under the seat and you'll never be caught out or have wet hands again.

If I was going for a dedicated wet glove, for me the only choice is the one kwacky posted. Best summer / waterproof glove on the market and a cracking deal.
The only problem with latex gloves is your heads get wet from sweat. They are a great idea for dealing with gloves that are already wet though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:Cookie put a set of latex gloves under the seat and you'll never be caught out or have wet hands again.

A good tip and exactly what i did, however the sweat is just as wet when its warm. Warmer hands yes, but not dry. (sweat)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Didn't kiwi or someone post up about over gloves a few weeks back? they seem like a good idea and don't take up much room.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/353605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

duke63 wrote:Didn't kiwi or someone post up about over gloves a few weeks back? they seem like a good idea and don't take up much room.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/353605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah I did. The brand I use are kiwi made ones called RainOff overgloves. Sold online in UK, USA, Aus and NZ.

I don’t ride in the rain on purpose any more but have done plenty in NZ and here in Aussie. In my experience any bike gloves or boots claiming to be waterproof eventually let water in and then are a bugger to get dry again. But being a tight arse kiwi I’ve never tried the expensive stuff like Rukka (more expensive again downunder due to weaker dollar and export costs).

So my method is wear gear appropriate for the temps (most of our rain in my state, NSW, is in the summer and is semi tropical downpours) and carry overboots, overgloves and two piece wet weather suit. I’ve gone through 3 one pieces and for a lot of the reasons TC listed have found the two piece easier and more reliable, just make sure the pants have a high waist. I roll it all up tight and store it in a vacuum seal bag (the type you just roll the air out of) and it used to fit under my Daytona seat (for size reference).

I fully appreciate I ride in a different climate to most of you, but for me this works out the most economical way to stay the driest, and quickest recovery from being used in heavy rain.
8EA861E0-E958-421B-87EF-E99DEBAA781E.jpeg
EF4122A3-EC86-4C1F-BFC4-C5E1DDF22173.jpeg
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Personally i have just invested in a 1 piece waterproof suit. I appreciate you don't want that but jist my 2 pence piece.

I have had separte top and bottom before and didn't really have an issue apart from.when it's really heavy and seems to go in under the bottom part of my jacket but that has only happened a couple of times when it's hammering it down and i exoected that as i only ever bought cheap waterproofs just to help me out. And in its defwnce i really had no conplaints about them.

I used the 1 piece whilst in Scotland in pretty heavy rain but not in long periods (luckily) for what i used it seemed to breath better and was more comfy and had great neck protection too but I spent a ton more on this than I have ever done before on waterproofs do I would expect that. As for size I'm a short guy with short legs so fitted me pretty alright!

But a proper hassle to get on and off, hated it easily took 5 mins to put on and take off (while geared up with boots on etc). They roll up away into a smallish bag and lightweight. Personally I'm happy with them

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

I'm in the Kiwi camp when it comes to keeping dry because I always wear leather and never textile. Unless it's actually winter and on my bike (never).

But after the last 8-hour ride in a tropical storm, I've ordered some of those Held Gore-Tex gloves Kwacky recommended. Got them yesterday, very nice quality to them.
Monty™© MCMLXXII