New Bike Ponderings

The news and your views about biking
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Re: New Bike Ponderings

Post by R1ckster »

D41 wrote:500 miles isn't really enough to familiarize yourself with a bike, let alone become tired of it. The more you get out riding on it, the better position you'll be in to know what your next bike should be.
I dunno.. possibly if you didn't do a DAS on a 500!. Then go jump on a bike that had just over half the cc.. I'd know there and then I made a mistake Image

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Bike's are worse than women... you can have multiple bikes at a time without offending any of them. More bikes = more cost! :D

Try bikes, ride yours in between.. it may actually make you like your bike again (y)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Nope.

It's easier to buy and sell motorbikes ;)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I 've no experience on buying or selling woman tbh.

My current ride is on an indefinite lease arrangement (lol)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Nope.

I'd adjust that a little and say it's easier to buy one (a few drinks) and way way more expensive to sell them - divorce!
LeCreusetFiend
Your Bike: Yamaha R3

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Well, I didn't expect to come back to this many replies - thanks guys!

Kwacky wrote:There are lots of soft pannier options for bikes. Oxford, Givi, Kriega, SW Motech

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/lugga ... ags/BLAZE/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/281847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... t_cat/938/(8;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all;242;239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Those links should give you some ideas.
Thanks for that - it's really useful (y)
R1ckster wrote:I dunno.. possibly if you didn't do a DAS on a 500!. Then go jump on a bike that had just over half the cc.. I'd know there and then I made a mistake Image
Thanks. I did my DAS on a 650 with about double the hp and torque of my R3. The lady I learned with bought a 650 on passing. My instructor told me to buy at least a 650. It's not my mates down the pub egging me on. I took my R3 along to a day's post-test training at my riding school, and they pretty much had to leave me out of the dual carriageway overtaking stuff. Granted I was running it in at the time, but I really don't enjoy being at high rpms to do the national speed limit. I'd like to see about starting the IAM over the next 12 months, and I'd like a capable bike.
duke63 wrote:I would be looking at an MT07 if I was in your position. Lots of fun but not intimidating at all.
Thanks! I did look at MT07s when I bought my R3, and - for no tangible reason whatsoever - they just didn't do it for me. Whether it's the styling, I don't know. But it didn't feel as ergonomically comfortable as the Street Triple does.
C00kiemonster wrote:I'll be honest, reading your post says to me you just need to get out there and ride your current bike. 500 miles isn't enough to learn and make your hopefully minor mistakes.

I'm not sure why you want more power when you have only passed your test recently .

Sorry to be a bit negative, but doesn't feel right to me.
Fair enough. I'm not going to pretend I could handle the R3 at full throttle all the time, let alone the Triple. I'm aware of my limitations and tbh I'm healthily intimidated every time I pop my leg over. But equally, I'm not just after more power in some sort of Clarkson-esque nonsense. That's just bravado and to make my boring decision-making process a little more interesting to read. I'm after a bike I can grow into over a couple or three years, and get to know intimately. I'd like to ride something that was more comfortable without constant gear-shifting around town, which, while fun for a few miles, quickly gets tiring in my opinion.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Still say R1M :P
LeCreusetFiend

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Blade wrote:Still say R1M :P
To be fair, it meets my criteria of not constant gear-changing. Just leave it in first.
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Removable panniers with fitting built into the design..no horrible frames

Isn't tall.. has high touring bars so more upright than a race bike

Lowish seat...

Looks the bees knees and has enough power to keep you "growing" with it for a few years

Oh and relativy cheap for what you get

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Blade

Post by Blade »

LeCreusetFiend wrote:
To be fair, it meets my criteria of not constant gear-changing. Just leave it in first.
Life is too short for regrets (lol)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:
LeCreusetFiend wrote:
If you don’t like changing gears, get a big v-twin and leave it in third, it’s what I do on the Multi (giggle)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Proper sports tourer (lol)
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Blade

Post by Blade »

C00kiemonster wrote:
Kwacky wrote:Nope.

I'd adjust that a little and say it's easier to buy one (a few drinks) and way way more expensive to sell them - divorce!
Always part ex in these situations Cookie rather than private sale (giggle)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Blade wrote:
LeCreusetFiend wrote: To be fair, it meets my criteria of not constant gear-changing. Just leave it in first.
If you don’t like changing gears, get a big v-twin and leave it in third, it’s what I do on the Multi (giggle)
Pah.. a 990 superduke with its close ratio box has you stamping the shifter like it's a 2 stroke...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
LeCreusetFiend

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Update: So .... err .... I've put the deposit down on a Street Triple R. In black. Delivery should be next week. (clap)

So I've got about 7 days to learn to ride properly... (angel)

Jokes aside, it just fit like a bloomin' glove. Love the riding position. Love the seat height. Love the bar reach. Love the weight. Seat's a tad on the hard side, but I'll just have to eat more pies to compensate, so that's no great hardship.

Next step: get round to signing up for some IAM shenanigans.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Good skills sir.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

675 or 765?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

LeCreusetFiend wrote:Update: So .... err .... I've put the deposit down on a Street Triple R. In black. Delivery should be next week. (clap)

So I've got about 7 days to learn to ride properly... (angel)

Jokes aside, it just fit like a bloomin' glove. Love the riding position. Love the seat height. Love the bar reach. Love the weight. Seat's a tad on the hard side, but I'll just have to eat more pies to compensate, so that's no great hardship.

Clearly very late here but was going to say you have mentioned the street (675 or 765?) a fair few times in this thread so thought you would end up going with one.

In my opinion i had a Daytona 675 and I did approx 16 or so thousand miles on it inside a year and half i litterally went everywhere on it- I went to Wales, communting around town, motorway miles, country lanes on it , wet/ cold/ snow and extremely hot weather's and the engine was crackers. Great for all of it, I loved every minute of it. The sitting position wasn't the best but I was younger/ fitter/ thinner and less experience of what a more comfortable sports bike were available but the engine did everything I wanted/ needes from it.

Great choice hands down prob the best out there for someone who has little experience. Remember it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. It will be quite a step up from even the 650 that you learned on my opinion. Defo will be a grower can't see you getting bored of the engine to be honest in any quick time

I would personally go out for some rides on your R3 to familiarise yourself with riding again otherwise it could feel quite alien to you when you pick up your new bike - but that's my opinipn at least

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

LeCreusetFiend wrote:
There's a few of us here who have been or are involved in IAM and that is a great decision. Get some miles under your belt first though with your new bike, don't go there wobbling down the road, they want to see you when you have a bit of confidence and they will build on that. They want to get you out of bad habbits and extend your information further, picking up your headand also don't be shocked when they take you down niggly little rides - some are horrid but it's all IAM techniques and training that will help you overcome these roads.

Defo worthy investment, a investment into you and your riding.

Great decision

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Also another one for Kriega - great bit of kit, I've had mine for 4 years I'd guess and still looks like new. It's been in every weather, down pours, sleet and snow and still prefect. It's military grade and takes a battering.

It's expensive but worth it