lean angles?

The news and your views about biking
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: lean angles?

Post by Deegee »

I know exactly what you're talking about Monty, I was told the same thing by my instructor at Ron Haslams, just the few sessions I did with him pushing me and my legs were quivering like jellies, my quads were shot for days after. However I retained some of what was drilled into me and was faster because of it. I still suffer now, but less due to MTB training which uses the same muscle groups.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Monty it is a lot more tiring when moving into the correct position on the bike and when trying something new you wont be as relaxed.

However maybe not to the extent you gad to get someone to hold the bike lol.

As for further training I would look at CSS, or possibly a 'knee down' day with i2imca (I've done 2 days with them, but not the knee down.) but I think that day is all about getting you in the correct position to allow sliders to meet tarmac so possibly would help.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Just find an industrial estate with a quiet island and practice until you can't go round in circles anymore
That's how I learnt to hang off and get my knee down,on track I don't try but when I'm on it I know because I get my knee down.Left knee down craners is a pretty awesome feeling
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

A knee down school might be worth the money or check YouTube for some body position videos.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

I can get my knee down if I really stretch, but given the lean angles I'm getting it shouldn't be a stretch. Which says to me my body position is all wrong or I need to do some yoga.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Monty wrote:I can get my knee down if I really stretch, but given the lean angles I'm getting it shouldn't be a stretch. Which says to me my body position is all wrong or I need to do some yoga.
I wasntt saying you couldnt get your knee down, but thinking that a school designed to help people do that will probably put teach them the correct body position.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Godzilla wrote:
Monty wrote:I can get my knee down if I really stretch, but given the lean angles I'm getting it shouldn't be a stretch. Which says to me my body position is all wrong or I need to do some yoga.
I wasntt saying you couldnt get your knee down, but thinking that a school designed to help people do that will probably put teach them the correct body position.
I wasn't saying you said I couldn't get my knee down (giggle)

To be honest I should say I can't because when I do it's really forced and not natural if you get what I mean.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

It should come easily with the right position & speed, I thought I was positioned well and hanging off the bike - until an Instructor got hold of me and put me into what can only described as an extreme muscle testing position on a static bike, fact was I needed professional help to achieve that kind of pain/position , but it does work. Copying faster riders takes you a long way, but sluggards like me need all the help we can get.
Monty

Post by Monty »

I'm thinking yoga may be the better option!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cornish
Your Bike: BMW RnineT

Post by Cornish »

Monty wrote:
Godzilla wrote:
I wasn't saying you said I couldn't get my knee down (giggle)

To be honest I should say I can't because when I do it's really forced and not natural if you get what I mean.
Monty only gets his knee down whilst cleaning up the cack left by his kids...:-)
Carpe De Pasty

Veni - Vidi - Vici (I came, I saw, I Conquered)
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Monty wrote:I'm thinking yoga may be the better option!
That may be a good idea, put me down for that as well. lol
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I went on a kneedown day at Mallory. Took me a while that morning to learn the art of doing it, then couldn't stop doing it....and have struggled to do it again since though that's mainly as i have only done one trackday since that day. :D

But at least i know i can do it and wouldn't take long to learn again if needed.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Cornish wrote:Monty only gets his knee down whilst cleaning up the cack left by his kids...:-)
There maybe some truth in that Cornishman, but it's normally both knees! A bit like you down at the park toilets!

I'm not actually trying to get my knee down, I'm trying to go around the corners faster without falling off.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

With my limited experience of not even having my knee down if go with the others advice of following someone fast as I try and copy their body position. Also it's not only a body position thing it's a mind thing as it's not natural to rely on your knee to keep you up maybe?

Monty I would say it's about getting the crack of your arse into the outside of the saddle and pushing ones knee outwards not down though.

Park toilets Monty, don't judge me by your standards buddy...:-)
Carpe De Pasty

duke63

Post by duke63 »

Its not just about getting your arse crack on the edge of the seat and knee out, you need to get your upper body over the side of the bike too, as if you are looking directly at your face in the mirror on most sportsbikes.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

duke63 wrote:Its not just about getting your arse crack on the edge of the seat and knee out, you need to get your upper body over the side of the bike too, as if you are looking directly at your face in the mirror on most sportsbikes.
Very true Duke63, very true buddy!
Carpe De Pasty

Monty

Post by Monty »

Cornish wrote:
duke63 wrote:Its not just about getting your arse crack on the edge of the seat and knee out, you need to get your upper body over the side of the bike too, as if you are looking directly at your face in the mirror on most sportsbikes.
We had to take the mirrors off Cornish's bike, he kept stopping to brush his hair!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Monty wrote:
Cornish wrote:
We had to take the mirrors off Cornish's bike, he kept stopping to brush his hair!
Jealousy Monty, yet you're right as always buddy :-)
Carpe De Pasty

D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

duke63 wrote:I went on a kneedown day at Mallory. Took me a while that morning to learn the art of doing it, then couldn't stop doing it....and have struggled to do it again since though that's mainly as i have only done one trackday since that day. :D

But at least i know i can do it and wouldn't take long to learn again if needed.

Do you feel like you could now do it on the roads if you wanted to?
duke63

Post by duke63 »

If i tried hard enough i think so but I'm not sure its something that is really suited to riding on the road.