enjoying riding?

The news and your views about biking
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

enjoying riding?

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So I've been playing with the idea of posting something like this for a while but I haven't for various reasons, but the main one being it seem such a stupid thing to post about and I feel really stupid talking about it.

Basically, and heres a hard thing for me to say, but I am just not enjoying riding at the moment, I don't think I really have since my accident. Problem is I don't know if its the bike I currently have as ive never really loved it, was always just a stop gap until I could afford something I really wanted or if its something a bit deeper and its all to do with my loss in confidence that hasn't really come back to where it was still yet nearly 3 years down the line (much like the movement in my hand funnily enough).

On the one hand I want to go out and try more bikes and see if that helps me fall back in love with it all again but with my enjoyment so low it seems like a waste of time and so the cycle repeats.

I think another big factor in it all is the change in job, whereas I used to ride EVERY day, and worked with a load of mates who were all bikes so we would go out after work, at weekends etc. now in the new job I dont get to ride too much and I cant remember the last time I went riding with someone. whenever I message them they are always busy and vice versa so only time I really ide now is on my own around the same few roads which isnt helping, but at the same time I dont really feel inspired to get out there and explore because traffic in the southeast is so shit I may aswell just not bother because I can almost garuntee unless I go out insanely early, I am gunna get stuck filtering through traffic for a good portion of whereever I ride.

I dunno, not expecting anyone to be able to help or say anything really but just feel like a bit of a phony being on here at the moment, which is why I have not been around as much too. But yeah, not really sure what to do at the moment, I miss loving biking, and I still love watching the racing and going to the bike show and stuff, but I dunno, hopefully I test ride something and it helps, not that im in a position to be able to swap it yet.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: enjoying riding?

Post by Cav »

You are far from a phony... I haven't ridden in over 2 years! :D

I get it.. I've been thinking the same on and off but now the Portimao trackday is around the corner I'm excited for it again!

All I can say is to 'force' yourself to experiment and try some new roads. Write off a day for yourself and just explore. Go to a different town or a known good route further afield.

No one's having a particularly easy time of things at the moment either so don't feel alone.. I hope you find what you want and start to enjoy it again :)
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

cheers mate, one thing I did wonder was selling the road bike and just getting a track bike, im not fast by any stretch of the imagination but its a good place to ride with no pressure, either road or dirt to be fair
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

If you commute every day then you see riding as a need rather than a hobby. The bike is no longer a toy, it's a tool. Something you have to use.

I don't have a great desire to rush out and enjoy the dry roads at the weekends when I've already done over 300 miles on two wheels that week.

I know what you mean about losing your biking mates. There used to be a big crowd of us in and around Brum. Those numbers dwindled and now I'm left with none of the crowd I used to ride with.

If things are work and home aren't great then that can be another reason to lose the biking mojo.

What I will say from my experience is that the love for biking ebbs and flows. There have been times when I've been tempted to give up.
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Spot on... Unused to meet up every Sunday with mates for a blast out and a breakfast .. enjoy the thrill of riding my then Sports Bikes.. this dwindled I then started to do 2000 miles a month and ended up getting a dual sport (no regrets). However there is no passion or spirit to go out just for a ride in whatever spare time I now how. And don't believe I'll ever want to buy a race bike again despite how desirable.. those days are gone. No interest in track days anymore either which I longed for.. 5 years ago was my last.

Like Kwaky said. Times change and circumstances. This will affect your mood. I guess if I was sitting on a million quid with nothing but spare time. I'd probably be having the time of my life on a bike .

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

I only ride if i have a reason to, meeting mates for a day out on the bike's is always a great day, and i love riding the bike, but just hopping on and buggering off for an hour is very rare.

I just can't be bothered after work, driving for 8 hours makes going back out on the road not very appealing.

Back to the original post, if you can change your bike to one that excites you then that will be a massive help.

When I tested the KTM 790 I was just grinning like a lunatic, after just a couple of miles I took it by the scruff of the neck and went a bit mad and the bike loved it, such a fun little thing to ride as long as triple digit speeds are not on the agenda.

Then the brain kicked in and told the heart that I need touring ability and long range on a do-it-all machine.

Get some test rides booked on anything that get's your heart going, you will find the bike that you can't leave alone.
Last edited by Stonesie on 20 Mar 2019, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

You are not the only one, I’m struggling badly to get interested in going out again on the bike. Like you since I came off I have had very limited time in the saddle, I’m in the process of selling 3 bikes at the minute, since I came off I’ve being doing other stuff instead with er indoors. Going for long walks which I admit I quite enjoy and it’s a way of trying to keep fit.
I’ve piled on the weight since coming off as I haven’t done any gym stuff.
I’m even selling the Tuono, I’m only keeping the 999 and the 600rr so I can get back on track at some point.
I’m hoping as the weather gets better I’ll get back into it more !!
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

TBH i think commuting sucks the lifeblood out of everyone, whether its on a bike or car. Its a massive waste of our lives.

I am fortunate in being able to use the bike for work if i want to rather than if i have to but i know commuting on it would take much of the enjoyment from biking if it was my only route to work.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I get what you guys are saying but I think I used to enjoy riding more when I commuted. I think when I start looking at different bikes I have a shortlist of what I think I want but I am going to look at everything, even things like Triumph Speed Twin and stuff, maybe something a bit more relaxed might cure it all
Cav

Post by Cav »

I don't know your situation but it sounds like there are some internal struggles going on whether work or home related. When was the last time you either gave yourself time for yourself? Or the last time you actually sat and did nothing because you wanted to?

Make time for yourself, sit on some bikes, go for a walk by yourself, just something. Hopefully it can help you find your true head space and from there you may be able to discover your love of biking again
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I think Cavetroll has a young child or children. However much people say it won't, it does change your life immeasurably. Your time is no longer your own when they are dependent on you.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Interesting reading, I have to say I would always want a bike in my garage so its there when i want to ride it. I have not been out recently for various reasons, but weather permitting I will get out for a spin at the weekend for sure.
I dont have to use it for work and commuting, but I do a lot of miles in my car so i am more than happy to be on two wheels rather than 4.

I think when the sun is out, the roads are dry and we start posting up some more rides, (unlike last year) everyone's mojo might come back a bit more.
Like Mick I do enjoy my morning hikes, out with the camera early doors, however a little spin out on the bike is my release, de-brief on the weeks work load of stress....
In short i really dont see me not having a bike, i had a few sad years of being without a bike, always worse in the summer months when all i could hear was motorbikes out and about :( dont want to do that again. As for track days, i still enjoy them, never gonna be a Rossi, but every time I go out I learn something new, and more to the point i am enjoying it, so will carry on until I dont.

The main thing is enjoyment :)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Makes for interesting reading this thread as I think we've all been in the same boat for one reason or another.

Personally I've had 2 serious thoughts about hanging up the gloves. The first time was just after I left Farnborough and all my biking mates, then I crashed and wrote of my D6 and bought an XJR1300 as a replacement (it was cheap to run, insure, but handled like a tank). I really want enjoying biking as I didn't like the bike much and had nobody to meet and ride with.

I bought the rsv, started putting in the miles and the smiles returned.

Fast forward 5 years and lack of love returned. I very nearly sold everything to get my PPL, but at the very last minute decided to chuck a bit of money at the RSV and the MS race rep was born and the smiles returned.

Since then my riding has changed a lot and I enjoy biking even more than ever. I still don't have many local mates to meet up with, but I now really love just jumping on the bike and playing a game of random turns and see where I end up, or picking a destination and not using any of the routes I already know.

I doubt any of my ramblings help in anyway, but your not alone and your not an imposter.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav

Post by Cav »

I wanna go riding with you and Frankie right now after reading those :D

I am toying with the idea of getting the bike back on the road, I just don't think I can justify it before the wedding
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Frankie wrote:....but weather permitting I will get out for a spin at the weekend for sure.
Sunday's looking good at the moment (happy)

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Its all been said already, but like others I have times when I think of selling up and times when I think I need a change. Forutnately all that normally changes when I get out for a few rides and get my mojo back but its normal to feel this way when you have a busy life and struggle to achieve everything life throws at you.

Maybe just go for a ride on your own with no expectations or pressure to achieve something or feel a certain way about the experience, just ride for ridings sake. You could just use the bike as a tool to nip out for a coffee and slice of cake and see if the feeling comes back, when the experience is all a little more relaxed and chilled out.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Sunday you say?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:Sunday you say?
I've been granted clearance.

duke63

Post by duke63 »

One thing I do on occasion is to get out of the urban areas and go right off the main roads and take lanes that I have no idea where they go. It's interesting to find fairly local places that I have never seen before.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

chees guys, all much appreciated, as strange as it sounds, just hearing some of you guys say you have considered it but never did give up is reassuring, as that as my worry, I don't feel like I want to give up, but have thought what if if that makes sense so good to see you guys have all come out the other side still so ill just ride it out (literally in this case)