Scorpion Helmets

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Scorpion Helmets

Post by D6Nutz »

Anyone had one, heard any horror stories. Etc ??
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: Scorpion Helmets

Post by D41 »

A friend has/had one. It's noisy & feels cheap. They're kind of an entry-level to maybe mid-grade lid....the kind you automatically ignore when you see them in a bikestore.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I tried one on and besides it not fitting my head at all (think Shark fitment) it felt like brittle plastic on the shell.

The finish looks very good though so they have spent some money on it. Read up on their philosophy of helmet safety if I were you.

Not that you've asked for recommendations but my Arai Chaser is a super comfortable and quiet helmet... just very heavy.
My HJC RPHA 10 is a light helmet but noisy
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

I’ve had 2 in the past, only because they were in Italian colours and I had the RSV4 at the time, I thought they were good but a tad heavy, I haven’t tied one on for ages though but the newer ones may be lighter now I would imagine.
My Fav helmets are HJC
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

D6Nutz wrote:Anyone had one, heard any horror stories. Etc ??
I'd like to input into this thread, but sadly my knowledge of them goes no further that they looked pretty decent from an aesthetics point of view. Which is about as useful as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest.

Although it's weird because I was just about to start a very similar thread...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

My mate wears one. He says it's fine for him. And it is pretty light too. But he's not really fused with branded things lile Arai or Shoei etc he goes for what fits well for him

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
LeCreusetFiend
Your Bike: Yamaha R3

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

I've got the Scorpion Exo 510 Air. For the money, I've absolutely no complaints, but I don't think I'd buy it again as a main helmet. The optics in the drop down sun visor aren't the best, and it's a bit noisy. The "air" feature was fun for five minutes before I couldn't be bothered to pump it up every time I put it on. But for under 200 quid it's got a decent SHARP rating, it fits my alarmingly round bonce, and nothing's fallen off or gone weird. Yet.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I think I'll give them a miss then.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

If you want a decent lid for fair money Nutz I would certainly be looking at the HJC and AGV ranges. Great helmets for the money and I prefer my HJC to all the Arai and Shoei I've owned.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

HJC are at the top of my list at the moment. I had an AGV when I first started riding and never found it comfortable.

Another GT Air is tempting as well, despite a few minor issues there are a good lid and they've just released a new version so there are some good deals on the original ones.

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The AGV K5S i have is a brilliant helmet. Cost me £150 at the NEC 18 months ago. Its very plush inside.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I didn't rate my GT Air tbh, as wasn't comfortable but realise that's a personal thing, but the heavy weight and poor venting weren't personal. Sold mine in the end as always preferred wearing my HJC and that's coming from a brand snob who previously loved Shoei and Arai.

Not tried the helmet Duke suggests but AGV have really come on. I think they headed hunted one of Arai's top designers and things got better from there.

Not sure about the K5 Duke mentions but when I looked at the AGV corsa they did a custom fit FOC by changing various parts of the liner and cushioning from different standard sizes if that makes sense, a bit of mix and match I guess. If fitment was the only issue with the AGV might be worth a visit to a decent retailer with knowledgeable staff as they may be able to do FOC custom fit or maybe it was just a particular model which didn't fit. May sound daft but I couldn't fit in all Arai helmets even though you would think they were the same design, I think there are little differences between each model.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I found out after owning the GT air for 4 years that they would have also done a custom fit for free had I bought it from a shop and not the internet. I've not had a problem with the ventilation to be honest, if anything is too good and I end up with tram lines in my hair (blush)

Maybe AGV have upped their game, but the one I had felt very cheap and bits where always breaking.

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

You have to buy high end to get good AGV quality.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Have a look at the AGV GT Veloce, Nutz. It's got most of the features of the high end Corsa and Pista helmets but much cheaper. I think it also has their rabbit skull cap liner which allows for a range of custom fitment by the owner.