Another insurance thread

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Another insurance thread

Post by Kwacky »

Bennetts clearly don't want my custom.

Looks like I'll be spending the weekend calling for quotes.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Re: Another insurance thread

Post by Itchy »

Kwacky wrote:Bennetts clearly don't want my custom.

Looks like I'll be spending the weekend calling for quotes.
They've done that to me before.

Doubled the price one year and no interest in trying to do any better.
I said I wouldn't go back, but a few years later they offered a very attractive price that I couldn't turn down. I'm too tight to stick to my principles!!!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Express did that to me a number of years ago and then so did Bikesure a few years later.

I think they rotate their customer profile every few years and steer it at a new sector of the market to gain new customers and unfortunately some times you have to move on.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

£731 last year
£1266 this year.

I called and she managed to drop £200 off without even trying.

She reckoned Aviva have changed their policies hence the price rise. Wouldn't quote me for anyone else. Said the panniers and top box on the AT were putting people off as it's a modification beyond manufacturers spec. I told her they're Honda panniers supplied by Honda and fitted to the bike when I bought it and that I don't have a top box for it.

To be honest she didn't really seem bothered.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Try Bikesure.

Also check the valuations they quote for the bikes. One trick they all seem to do is keep the bike at the original;l valuation when you first signed up without you having any chance of ever receiving that in any payout.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Ironically this is the first year I've ever accepted a renewal, and it's from Bennetts. Went up from 95 to 105.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

To try and save time I've put all of the details they ask on a form and I've emailed that to a few companies. It saves about 30 minutes of sitting on the phone. I've also told them what I paid last year with Bennetts so they've got a figure to work towards.

Hastings do multi bike policies but only for 2 bikes (facepalm)
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Bemoto might be worth a call, they were half the price of the next best for the SuperDuke GT.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've emailed Bemoto, Bikesure and Cornmarket. The latter do IAM deals.

I've got until the 28th so there's time to find a deal. It's just a pain in the arse that it takes so long to go through the same questions everytime.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Kwacky wrote:£731 last year
£1266 this year.

I called and she managed to drop £200 off without even trying.

She reckoned Aviva have changed their policies hence the price rise. Wouldn't quote me for anyone else. Said the panniers and top box on the AT were putting people off as it's a modification beyond manufacturers spec. I told her they're Honda panniers supplied by Honda and fitted to the bike when I bought it and that I don't have a top box for it.

To be honest she didn't really seem bothered.
The real problem is that these sales people are made to sit on a phone take calls and discuss matters that they know nothing about or have no interest in.

Little story.

A few years ago I was shopping around for a better deal.

I phoned one company and I was asked what if any riding qualifications I had, so I reeled them off.

"Oh right " she said. "So your highest qualification is your IAM membership!" :^

I said "No, My Police instructor, Police class 1 and IAM and RoSPA examiner qualifications and my position as a RoSPA diplomna examiner and instructor are the highest, my IAM membership is just a by-product of being an examiner."

"No" she said, "Your IAM is the highest, take it from me"

I could not believe what I was hearing so I said to her "How do you think someone obtains an IAM qualification? Who examines for the IAM"

I thenm suggested that she went away, researched the subject and then if inclined maybe she would like to call me back once she had done her research and go the correct answer.

To be honest I thought that would be the end of it, but about 30 minutes later this girl did call back very apologetic and said that she did not realise the order of qualifications.

So she offered me an additonal 10% discount.

I don't think she was very happy when I told her that my previous best 1quote was still 30% cheaper and I had not even mentioned my qualifications so suffice to say I would not be accepting her offer :)

I then had a similar thing with the car. SAGA kept pushing me to call them for a quote as they guaranteed that they would undercut my previous best quotes by at least 15%

So I called them

The best quote they offered me was 60% more than I had been quoted elsewhere and when I questioned why their reply was that they did not expect someone in their 50's to be driving a Jaguar which made me a higher risk (shake)

When I asked what age I had to be to drive a Jag, they could not give me an answer. Unbelievable.

I told them never to make contact with me again and t be fair, they haven't....

Bloody Insurance companies, what a joke?

Sorry for the digress, but the thread just reminded me of those two examples.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's all tick boxes on a screen. Last year Carole Nash refused to accept that a 19mm chain with an uncroppable guarantee was offering better security than a 12mm Oxford chain you can do in 5 seconds.

Yesterday the issue was panniers. I told her that I've ridden the bike once with the panniers and that was when I was bringing it home.

There is no thought process.
Blade

Post by Blade »

It is a royal pita with multi bikes but stick in mate as you will get there in the end.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Devitt Insurance can offer me full comp on all 3 bikes, protected NCB, personal injury cover, legal expenses cover and helmet and leathers cover for £668.90. It includes 90 days euro travel as well.

The only difference is they want a £500 excess on the MV.

Well I'm saving £600

Has anyone had any dealings with Devitts?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Do they offer insurance excess protection?

Maybe able to throw it in to close the deal and mitigate the high excess.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I asked but they don't do it.

It's £500 for the MV and it's £250 for the other two. If I crash I can claim up to £15,000 for my person injury even if it's my fault, so out of one hand and into the other ;)

Worst case is all 3 bikes are stolen and I'm £1,000 down before I even start making claims.

Interestingly with Devitts they don't really care about alarms but you do get a discount for trackers.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Makes sense and much better than your renewal quote.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Made some changes to the policy as it hadn't got commuting on the AT. It came to £660.16 in the end with all the extras listed above. I've gone for it. It's a massive price drop on the Bennetts quote and I really can't be arsed spending the weekend hunting for quotes.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Glad you got there in the end mate. It's a nightmare for insurances. They are legal con artists in my opinion, they need their rules and laws changed.

My friend at work said his daughters insurance on a 1lt £2000 TOPS car is £5500, it then goes down to £4000 if he adds her to his insurance...this was after ringing around finding best quotes. Personally think its sick how they can get away with that

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Kwacky wrote:I asked but they don't do it.

It's £500 for the MV and it's £250 for the other two. If I crash I can claim up to £15,000 for my person injury even if it's my fault, so out of one hand and into the other ;)

Worst case is all 3 bikes are stolen and I'm £1,000 down before I even start making claims.

Interestingly with Devitts they don't really care about alarms but you do get a discount for trackers.
Devitts provide most of the cover for motorcycle training schools and and pretty switched on, but as with most companies they will look to avoid paying out where they can.

The way to potentially look at it is that the majority of bike crashes are the fault of someone else and so you are going to more than likely be making a claim against a third party

In those cases, you will be claiming to recover your excess under the special damages heading as part of your uninsured losses and so the excess becomes irrelevant.

I accept that in the case of a theft it does become an issue.

But be aware that if you suffer an injury as a result of someone elses negligence, any monies you receive will be claimed back and deducted from your compensation in the same way as any benefits paid during a period of incapacity in a non fault crash.

On the plus side, the legal expenses cover will remove the need to lose potentially 25% of any claim under a CFA and you are allowed to choose whoever you wish to handle your claim. You are not obliged to use a panel firm of solicitors.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

T.C. wrote: But be aware that if you suffer an injury as a result of someone elses negligence, any monies you receive will be claimed back and deducted from your compensation in the same way as any benefits paid during a period of incapacity in a non fault crash.
Run that one by me again.