Rukka

The news and your views about biking
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Rukka

Post by R1ckster »

Hi chaps

Just thought I'd share an experience regarding Rukka clothing.

It all started off well. Spent over 1k on top end trilaminate Goretex Pro trousers and jacket. Pleased with perfect fitting and style. The weather proof was second to none (that I had previously used anyway).

Purchased from Germany it was a steal as I had good discounts. Compared to buying here in the usual outlet.

Over the first 3 years the jacket had to be sent back due to zip failure on the main zip and needed to be replaced. And subsequently sent back another 2 times to fix one cuff zip and then a leak near the arm pit.

It was a right PIA as it had to be sent back to Germany where I purchased the jacket in order for it to be sent on to Rukka. Each separate occasion I was without for a good 5-6 weeks.

However I accepted this given the discounts plus all postage was free in DHL reply paid bags so no cost. Just a inconvenience.

I had trousers sent back twice due to crotch leak which was also fixed no problem.

Despite the service I was becoming a little annoyed at the incidences on the garments and my expectations were much higher regarding the number of issues so far considering the price of this stuff.

To the point where last year I swore never to buy Rukka again.

Anyway.. a year on..and into my 5th year of owning this suit. And in last few months of warranty. I had to send my jacket back last month due to an arm seam coming away from stitching about 5mm in length.

I thought to myself. It's been 5 years. This year has done around 90,000 miles and has been used pretty much every single day in all seasons through all weather. Would I be pushing my luck sending it back now to have these repairs???

I did.. and have been waiting for a reply for last 4 weeks. To eventually getting an email saying they won't repair it. Also won't be sending it back.

They only going to send me a brand new 2019 top end jacket as a replacement free of charge.

So I kind now see where the money goes regarding the so called expensive price that is attached to Rukka garments. Yes they are expensive and yes like any garment I guess can have failures.

But to carry out to my knowledge unlimited warranty fixes over a 5 year period. Plus worst case sending you brand new garments as replacement.

I now think they are worth every penny.

I sent back a 5 year old cosmic jacket that's done 90k miles and now getting a brand new Armarone jacket. Gob smacked.

Just thought I would share for those on the fence my experience regarding investing big dollar on clothing. I was going to try Klim this time.. however I've now a jacket for another 5 years so will try Klim then unless I'm thrown another freebie lol.

CheersImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Rukka

Post by C00kiemonster »

Wow... that's awesome service.

I think the main reason is your dealing with Germans, their consumer laws and service are the best in europe.

If only all companies were like this.....
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

That's pretty impressive for a 5mm split....that's just a couple of missed stitches!

Sorry to hear about your crotch leak. See a doctor ASAP.
Get well soon.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's good that they're giving you a new jacket but look how often you've been without it. How much did you spend on postage?

I've had Rukka and was disappointed overall. Klim is head and shoulders above Rukka imo.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Kwacky wrote:It's good that they're giving you a new jacket but look how often you've been without it. How much did you spend on postage?

I've had Rukka and was disappointed overall. Klim is head and shoulders above Rukka imo.
So far post was also free. I was sent a reply paid sticker. So really was all about the inconvenience.

However considering I bought in Germany. Had I bought in the UK I could have possible shave 2-3 weeks turnaround. Given it was best part of a week to send. Then the same for them to Rukka. And then Rukka back to them. And then so on to me. But I accepted that given the deal I got for exactly same item I could have bought here all in nearly £400 more expensive.

Yes Klim would have been the next brand to try out. In same price category. I've never owned so can't comment. However from reading and comparing. Rukka do seem to come across more road / everyday use more focused. And Klim being more off-road/adventure biased. Unless things have changed you need to spend nearly £1600 on a jacket alone to have a jacket with a neck gaitor. Also the trousers don't come in different lengths as far as I know . Where Rukka does long/reg/short leg fittings.

I can't comment on Klim but do know they are well made. And quite likely to try them at some point. But I can't knock the service I've had from Rukka .. aside from the issues the garments were the only items I've ridden for 5 hours solid at 70mph in torrential monsoon rains and have been bone dry. There are not many chaps that do my mileaage. And so given the chance to use Klim solidly for 5 years and 90,000 miles in all weathers would be a reasonable comparison. Unfortunately this is now not to be Image given I have a free new jacket.

Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I never realised that sort of clothing was so expensive! I'll stick to my £1000 suit for £575 direct from Italy thanks! :D

How much is it to fully kit yourself up with the equivalent Rukka or Klim kit? Jacket, Trousers, Boots, Gloves, Gaitors, etc..???
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Klim trousers come in short, regular or long.

The lack of a high neck or removable collar in a minus point but I solved it with a £20 Halvarssons waterproof collar.

I'm just going on personal experience. My Rukka stuff wasn't doing its job. The last time I had to return the pants I decided to sell up and move brands.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cav wrote:I never realised that sort of clothing was so expensive! I'll stick to my £1000 suit for £575 direct from Italy thanks! :D

How much is it to fully kit yourself up with the equivalent Rukka or Klim kit? Jacket, Trousers, Boots, Gloves, Gaitors, etc..???
Depends how much you want to spend. I've no idea what the boots or gloves are like.

I would happily do a track day in my Klim jacket. The armour is of a very high standard.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Kwacky wrote:
Cav wrote:I never realised that sort of clothing was so expensive! I'll stick to my £1000 suit for £575 direct from Italy thanks! :D

Depends how much you want to spend. I've no idea what the boots or gloves are like.

I would happily do a track day in my Klim jacket. The armour is of a very high standard.
Gloves are expensive but imo mediocre not worth the money. I've had a couple of sets from the basic Mars..to the Appollo. I've got 3 years heavy use from the cheaper mars but the expensive model Apollo the laminate fitted goretex came out the glove when they became saturated. And I had to cut them out to get my hand back in...in the middle of the Alps in a storm. Wasn't impressed.

Going back to my free jacket... As I only sent back the shell. I now have a full set of D30 armour including back protector. And a thermal liner. Am guessing these will be useless now. Would these be jacket specific for Rukka? I know the liner will be. Not sure if the D30 is useful though ..eBay job

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Do you have photos of the shoulder and elbow armour from the jacket, mate? I might be interested if i think they may fit.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Very pricy the Rukka gear but clearly their company do look after you. Great to hear they sent you a full 2019 jacket, thats second to none for customer service levels

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk