Odd conversation with biker

The news and your views about biking
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Odd conversation with biker

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I wasn't really sure where to put this but I had to tell you guys about a really odd conversation I had about bikes with a girl who was in my office building.

I went down to reception to pick up some post and noticed a girl sitting there in bike clobber, Guy Martin lid, so I was waiting for the receptionist to get back and started a conversation, she seemed a nice girl and were chatting about bikes, the usual what bike you got etc.

Anyway we were talking and I was saying I want to change my bike next year, fancy one of the supernakeds etc and I said maybe the KTM/MT10/BMW or speed triple, anyway she misheard as street triple and instantly went into this little rant about how they are beginners bikes and not very good. Now I thought this was mega odd as a) she had already told me shed only been riding a year and currently rode an Er-6 and b) as someone who has owned an STR, yeah its easy to ride, but my god is it capable of embarrassing other bikes big time. It was just a really odd conversation, I asked if she had ever ridden one and she said she had, It was all a bit odd after that, it was almost like she looked down on me for god forbid considering an STR (I could quite happily have an STR again)

I dunno if there is any point to this post in all honesty, just surprised me I guess as normally with bikers I find its usually a very easy going mentality, its not like my other hobbies full of elitist idiots, but maybe im wrong, I dunno.

Sorry for wasting your time reading the ramblings out of my head :D
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Odd conversation with biker

Post by Kwacky »

You used to see that a lot - people talking about the natural progression from 125s to 400s, 600s then 1000s. It made sense as riding a bike is a bit dangerous at times and the old 1 litre bikes used to love a highside. But modern bikes have TC and other features which allow you ride what you like with a bit of a safety blanket in place.

I really loved my Street. Under 100bhp but light and handled amazingly well. I wouldn't put it down as a beginners bike but at the same time I wouldn't tell a beginner not to buy one.

Anyway, did you get her number? :D
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:
Anyway, did you get her number? :D
I got her name, which I have since forgot, no point getting the number, we were clearly incompatible (and she wasn't my type really haha)
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Street Triple is still quoted by journos as the bike they would actually spend their own money on which when you consider they get to try pretty much any bike in many situations, says a lot about how good it is.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Oh....she is probably just trying to stand a little taller in a sport that is VERY male dominated/oriented. When in reality she'd be better off at home in the kitchen. Cooking. My. Dinner..!!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Cavetroll87 wrote: ........ Now I thought this was mega odd as a) she had already told me she'd only been riding a year ..
Fwiw I'd lay strong odds that she's been encouraged into biking by someone who is passionate about it. Like many people with a strong passion for a subject, they'll probably have equally strong (read bigoted) views on all aspects of it.
That we do not understand, we fear.
He's possibly a 1k Gixer rider (or similar) who still bears a grudge at being left for dead by a Cavetroll on his ST :D
Last edited by StMarks on 15 Oct 2018, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Street Triple is a beginners bike? :D

Odd.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

In enthusiastic hands a STR can hunt down sports bikes...

They were NOT! happy about being passed by a road bike on touring tyres (Metzeler Z8) 8) :D
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Stonesie wrote:In enthusiastic hands a STR can hunt down sports bikes...

They were NOT! happy about being passed by a road bike on touring tyres (Metzeler Z8) 8) :D
Exactly that mate, my best biking memory has to be trackday at Snett ona 2 week old STR, going around the outside of 3 sportsbikes into turn 1 and leaving them for dead once we got to the infield section. Not a beginners bike at all, just becuase its not a firebreathing animal doesnt mean its not massively capabale in the right hands (not including my own their btw)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

People new to biking that have gained some confidence tend to be very opinionated in my experience (I know I was for a time). She probably had never ridden one despite saying otherwise and wanted to make sure she came across as knowing what she's talking about in a very male dominated environment.

As for the starter bike talk.. they are in a few lists of "Top 5 Starter Bikes" but it doesn't mean it isn't capable. I for one would put it as a "Premium Starter Bike".

I wouldn't be offended by people talking like that about bikes you've owned and love, just smile and think, "you don't know what you're talking about"
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Cav wrote:
I wouldn't be offended by people talking like that about bikes you've owned and love, just smile and think, "you don't know what you're talking about"
Not offended at all, just perplexed by the attitude I guess
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

To be fair I think this lady doesn't really know what she's talking about. Clearly new to biking and prob heard something before hand by someone who is, like StMarks has suggested a fan of big sports bikes and therefore nothing else actually matters. Or she was just trying to have a chat tryong to look knowledgeable in front of you.

Anyway what we really want to know before all This codswoddle is was she a fitty. We all know its a male oriented hobby and we need more fitties getting into it. Is the future bright?!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Rossgo wrote:To be fair I think this lady doesn't really know what she's talking about. Clearly new to biking and prob heard something before hand by someone who is, like StMarks has suggested a fan of big sports bikes and therefore nothing else actually matters. Or she was just trying to have a chat tryong to look knowledgeable in front of you.

Anyway what we really want to know before all This codswoddle is was she a fitty. We all know its a male oriented hobby and we need more fitties getting into it. Is the future bright?!!

wasnt my type at all mate, and to be honest im not overly fussy.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cavetroll87 wrote:
Rossgo wrote:To be fair I think this lady doesn't really know what she's talking about. Clearly new to biking and prob heard something before hand by someone who is, like StMarks has suggested a fan of big sports bikes and therefore nothing else actually matters. Or she was just trying to have a chat tryong to look knowledgeable in front of you.

wasnt my type at all mate, and to be honest im not overly fussy.
ImageImageoh no the future isn't orange then it's more Brussel sprout!

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I take it Mrs Troll isn't a reader of this site? :D
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:I take it Mrs Troll isn't a reader of this site? :D
No, plus she knows Im punching well above my (considerable) weight with her. lucky girl!