Brake Pads

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Brake Pads

Post by D6Nutz »

So this month is tyres and pads.. I've never really bothered looking past OEM pads. So I was thinking, as I'm changing virtually everything else on the bike I might as well look at some different pads.

I know Griff (the oracle of all things aprilia) recommends EBC sintered pads, but I also remember a few here had a preference to SBS. There is also a differing recommendation between sintered and dual carbon. I generally don't ride in the wet and I wouldn't classify myself as a breaking demon so what would be the better compound to use. I do want to do a trackday or two this year and there is the euroday next year so pads that cover that as well as road riding.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Brake Pads

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I currently have EBC sintered pads and they have held up brilliant over 2 trackdays and never had an issue on the road with them, I had Carbone Lorraine SBK pads before and they were also very good but maybe a bit too harsh on the road for me, they had a lot more intial bite than the EBC's which did mean the EBC's felt a little lacking when I first put them in but I probably prefer them now for road use.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Sintered SBS should do you for the road.

EBC are good but are supposed to be quite harsh on the discs.

The SBS site lets you put in your bike details for recommendations http://uk.sbs.dk/business-areas/motorcycle.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Personally i would avoid EBC's.

I didn't feel they were very consistent.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

SBS race sintered are best road pads I have used by a good margin.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

duke63 wrote:Personally i would avoid EBC's.

I didn't feel they were very consistent.
(f1) They've been great on the track, but I'm looking forward to getting rid of them on the road. I'm going with blade's recommendation next time.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cheers guys.. SBS sintered it is then.

Now to see if I can find someone who will do a discount when buying for the complete bike..

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Fwiw I've had the EBC HH pads on the Tiger - mated to new discs as well, they're better than the oem pads but still not performing as I would like. My lad has them in his CBR600 and loves them, they get good write ups, but don't buy the HH look-alikes as they don't seem to impress.
I've tried the Brembo SC race sintered for the track and they're good to start with, but with 30/40% wear left in them they performed badly last time out. I've now got some SBS dual carbon, the "running in" procedure is a bit involved but I'm hoping for good results.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

(f1) for the SBS dual sintered. They do me fine for road and track.

As mentioned above the Dual Carbons have a pain in the neck run in procedure, and also if you want to go back.
Plus talking to people who run them at trackdays/racing they take a couple of laps to warm up and dont work too well then are awesome when warm.
Not great in the wet either apparently.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Humm, why does something so simple have to be so bloody complicated !!!

I can't find dual sintered, only HS (Street Excel) or RS (Race Sintered).

I've looked at their product document: http://www.sbs.dk/media/8207/sbs_016809992_2010.pdf and am none the wiser. I can't make head nor tail of those spider charts... I would have thought that a race pad would have better performance on one part of the diagram, or are they just trying to say that they haven't developed the race pad and it's now crap compared to the street excel :^

Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

http://uk.sbs.dk/business-areas/motorcy ... -lane.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/SBS_Mot ... _Pads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I meant Race Sintered. I think lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SBS-FRONT-BRA ... 231d5b4362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... d&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Ring bikehps and speak to the guy, D6Nutz. They are very helpful i have found.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cheers guys. That's probably the safest bet duke, will probably save me buying the wrong thing.

Blade

Post by Blade »

D6Nutz wrote:Humm, why does something so simple have to be so bloody complicated !!!

I can't find dual sintered, only HS (Street Excel) or RS (Race Sintered).

I've looked at their product document: http://www.sbs.dk/media/8207/sbs_016809992_2010.pdf and am none the wiser. I can't make head nor tail of those spider charts... I would have thought that a race pad would have better performance on one part of the diagram, or are they just trying to say that they haven't developed the race pad and it's now crap compared to the street excel :^
Its not complicated at all Nutz.

Just buy the RS (race sintered pads) I guarantee you will rate them and be happy.

Loads on eBay or use msr-online
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:Ring bikehps and speak to the guy, D6Nutz. They are very helpful i have found.
He will say Brembo SC or Ebc gpfxa or what ever the new ebc pads are.

Honestly get the SBS rs. Half the price of Brembo and if their not the best you have ever had I will eat my hat
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Right, I bit the bullet today...

Gone for a full set of SBS all round, but decided to go for the street excel rather than the race. I'm not hard on the brakes, especially with the engine braking from a twin so thought that the street would be better as I won't be keeping the heat so much.

The should get delivered next week, which will work out nicely as the wheels will be out for new tyres so I will have easy access to clean up the callipers before the MOT on thursday.. It's going to be a busy week in the man cave.

C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

D6Nutz wrote:Right, I bit the bullet today...

Gone for a full set of SBS all round, but decided to go for the street excel rather than the race. I'm not hard on the brakes, especially with the engine braking from a twin so thought that the street would be better as I won't be keeping the heat so much.

The should get delivered next week, which will work out nicely as the wheels will be out for new tyres so I will have easy access to clean up the callipers before the MOT on thursday.. It's going to be a busy week in the man cave.
I bought the street. Very good IMO.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Any update on the pads? Just wondering if you've fitted them and bedded them in yet?
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

Blade wrote:
duke63 wrote:Ring bikehps and speak to the guy, D6Nutz. They are very helpful i have found.
He will say Brembo SC or Ebc gpfxa or what ever the new ebc pads are.

Honestly get the SBS rs. Half the price of Brembo and if their not the best you have ever had I will eat my hat
I have just got delivery of these Blade so I hope you're right (y)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Who are people using to get their SBS pads from? I may as well use a good source.