Rossgo's Trip Away!

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Rossgo's Trip Away!

Post by Blade »

Rossgo wrote:Planned the 4th day now

It sees us from Perth, down the M90, across to the South of Edinburgh, down the A7 to Carlisle, onto the M6 then finally onto A and B roads in the Yorkshire Dales down to Skipton and stay in or around that area. Missed out the North Pennines due to mileage and hours.

I wish I could of done a few more A and B roads on this day BUT we have a bit of a distance to cover so had to swap little roads for bigger main roads. Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Can I suggest a slight change that maybe of interest (y)

Take the A686 from Haydon Bridge to Penrith and then pick up the M6. The A686 is a fantastic road and definitely in the top 10 in the UK.

Not sure of the end location on Day 4 but if possible head south out of Hawes on the B6255 towards Ribblehead viaduct (good photo spot) and then turn left and take the B6479 into Settle. Good cafe in the square in Settle town centre for refreshments after doing two great roller coaster of roads

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Engla.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Blade. Cheers for you suggestions. Ill see what i can do regarding those roads, wish you had seen this earlier to recommend them lol! Takes forever plotting these points lol

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Think ive plotted for the B6160 in the Yorkshire Dales if you know that road?

D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I'm tired. I'm going to be soooo glad when this trip is over. :D
Blade

Post by Blade »

Rossgo wrote:Think ive plotted for the B6160 in the Yorkshire Dales if you know that road?

I think I know it and if it is the one I'm thinking of its good but not my kind of road but that's not to say others won't like it and I think it's quite popular so many do.

It's very narrow in places and more like a lane than a road if that makes sense. It's very scenic and interesting but if you want a road to scratch a sportsbike on its not the one for you if I ve remembered the right road.

I think Stonsie knows that area much better than me, as he is a little further into gods country than I do (lol)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Blade cheers matey. Ok ill see what i can do regarding the roads you have mentioned. Thankyou for letting me know about this, took a look and the roads look like a kid has drawn then (nice and squiggly lol

Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

I haven't done the B6160 for a while but I enjoy that type of road, I prefer naked bikes so top seed runs are rare for me and you won't get one on there really.

As for being in God's own county (lol) South Yorkshire is right on the southern boarder.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Stonsie. I guess it is a lane then? Is It not a two way road more of a 'pull in to let cars past' type road then?

Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

I don't think that it's that narrow but not far off in places, great scenery though and towards the end of a long day I wouldn't be in a thrashing mood.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Stonsie. I do quite enjoy them type of roads, as long as its fairly smooth and have dashes in middle of road. I can't decide what to do. Ill have a play in couple of days

Blade

Post by Blade »

Dont get to bogged down in the detail Rossgo. It's good to have a plan but trips rarely go exactly to plan. They are usually quite a dynamic experience and that can be the excitement.

Things happen on the day you can't predict and you just have to adapt to the situation.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Wise words Blade. Couldn't agree more. Just would like something sorted so we have something we can work to. I was half tempted just to set the sat nav to a town and let it decide for us. I must admit Tom Tom's rarely let you down on some nice sweepers and scenic roads

Blade

Post by Blade »

If it's pissing it down you might want to just crack on via the shortest fastest route or maybe take a detour if you can see dry weather close by.

Good to have a route plan and then tweak it over breakfast or enroute as different scenarios play out.

Think of it more as 5 back to back days out than a cast in stone route plan with specific objectives that have to be completed each day.

My first big road trip we were too ambitious on daily mileage and it became a slog at times. With experience you realise just going with the flow is better. Some times you dont make the days end point and with experience your realsie that doesnt matter, you just make alternative plans. If it becomes too rigid it can become a chore more than a pleasure in my experience. The fact your in the UK should make things easier too.

What ever happens I'm sure it will be a great trip and the above is just suggestions from my expereinces that worked for me. That's not to say there isn't a different way of doing stuff which may be better.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade - I really value input. Little or big all is good to me.

I understand about the weather it is very unpredictable lol. However how many miles did you feel was a slog? I'm counting on approx 200-300 per day? You think that's too many or just about right? Bearing in mind majority are A roads with a couple of B roads thrown in for play

D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I'd go by time rather than mileage.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Interesting. I've tried to plan it so it's not 12 hours worth of riding more like 6- 8 (the 8 hours is the big stint up to Scotland from Liverpool. Hoping that would be alright but i realise that one is big day.

Blade

Post by Blade »

You've got a good plan Rossgo and 200 to 300 miles a day is a good range.

To answer your question some days we were hitting 500 miles and it was too much to be enjoyable tbh. But that wasn't every day, just the odd day when we were too ambitious with our expectations.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

It's best not to have an exact plan IMHO.

weather, traffic, road closures can change routes at any moment. Realistically you will do well to average more than 45mph over the day off the motorways. Add in fuel stops, lunch and drinks stops and doing 250 miles can easily be an 8 hour day out on the bikes.

Ideally it's good to be off the bikes before 6pm. Evening meal and beers and banter is as much a part of the bike trip as the riding.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade and Duke thank you for your input.

500 miles is a tough day lol! Ive tried to plan the mileage to half that as i know we would be itching to get off to stretch ! Again thank you for your road suggestions o will try to sort something out and see where i can work it in.

Duke yes i fully understand that. I habe experienced that before on the way up to Skeggness a road was closed and it really threw me! I'm fairly certain though that when we get up to Scotland we won't be short of some amazing views and roads!

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

500 miles is a lot to ask.

Especially when that's 7 or 8 petrol stops for D6Nutz :D