Chinese Levers

The news and your views about biking
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Re: Chinese Levers

Post by R1ckster »

Monty wrote:I've got the Diamond Racing rear sets and engine covers. Top quality and half the price of the big names.
Agreed. Rearsets top stuff.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

I'd never buy ASV. For the price I was annoyed after the black turned to dark purple. My bikes live outside But I may aswell have bought 10 pairs of Chinese levers and change them when they fade. I've had Chinese levers before and n3vwr had issue.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Diamond are UK through and through. At one point they stopped using eBay because people were selling copies of their stuff on there.
Ironically Diamond rearsets are a copy of Sato (blush)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I remember ASV replaced my lever(s) 'cos they'd turned purple.....there'd been some issue with the anodizing.
Ironically, when you look at them through a tinted screen they look purple anyway.

I suppose it comes down to whether you want them to look good, or work good.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Do you need brakes with training wheels ??
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

D41 wrote:I remember ASV replaced my lever(s) 'cos they'd turned purple.....there'd been some issue with the anodizing.
Ironically, when you look at them through a tinted screen they look purple anyway.

I suppose it comes down to whether you want them to look good, or work good.

I get you matey! (y)

Maybe just my experience of them then. Given how much they cost regardless of the fading colour. A little part of me felt like it was a case of the emperors new clothes situation. To be honest my Stock levers from factory on the 675 felt a lot smoother and springy. The ASV actually felt like a bolt on (which to be fair they are). Anyway each to their own. I had chinese jobs on my R1 and never had issues and when down in town.. and also on the nurburgring.. and still worked fine after being smacked. Maybe i was just lucky.

nevertheless they worked and cost a quarter price and looked the biz.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Had levers on the S1000R for the life of the bike...now on just over 32K and they are as good as the day i fitted them. So no issues from me.
Also fitted a nice set of rear sets to the 600 track bike, they also seem to be solid and good finish...if it had a Rizoma logo i would not think they are not looks very tidy..

There will always be low grade metals in some products, but you cant really tar them all with the same brush.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Blade I bought via Ebay but a long time back, my history doesn’t go that far back, so no, I don’t which seller I got them from.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade I've tried the Chinese copy ones. Quality wise they worked but weren't great to the touch, you get what you pay for and also like everyone mentioned the paint does fade, but they worked and were cheap just to try out.

I then went to ASV and to be fair I haven't looked back. Better quaility, better feel, well manufactured and the last set I got for a discounted price on the SBS website. Love them

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Not always the case Ross, my ASVs went back twice under warranty because they faded. The Chinese one I have now are 2 years old and haven't faded.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Seems a mixture of opinions (y)

Some people have said they don't like the idea of using a Chinese brake lever for fear of failure on such a safety critical part.

Question is, has anyone actually heard of any cases of Chinese brake lever catastrophic failure ? or is it no more than a fear of something possibly happening with no evidence to substantiate the fear ?

Genuine question (lol)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Blade wrote:Seems a mixture of opinions (y)

Some people have said they don't like the idea of using a Chinese brake lever for fear of failure on such a safety critical part.

Question is, has anyone actually heard of any cases of Chinese brake lever catastrophic failure ? or is it no more than a fear of something possibly happening with no evidence to substantiate the fear ?

Genuine question (lol)
Fwiw "yep", & on a 675 as well actually mate.!
https://www.675.cc/675/threads/2wheels- ... ale.20137/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iirc there was also another (at least one) similar thread from someone else, but I can't recall who/when exactly so would be more difficult for me to find for you. If it comes back to me I'll post a link in a further post.
Hth.
D41

Post by D41 »

I've got a genuine question too!

If you were going skydiving for the first time, and right as the "Go" light came on, you noticed a 'Made In Hong Kong' label on the chute. Tell me you wouldn't think twice about the whole idea????

"This chute inspected by ¥₩°¥¿".....
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Phuck me there's some proper worry buckets about.

That thread StM posted is from 2014. That needs to be taken into account.

FWIW Chinese produced copies have increased in quality. Don't forget that a lot of us are riding motorbikes with a lot of parts made in China. We use cars with Chinese parts and fly in planes with Chinese metal parts.

I've recently had metal fail from a very well known British Company. I've had Chinese copy rizoma stuff that looks and performs identically to the real thing.

Blade, with your OCD about checking over your bikes every 5 minutes I'm sure you would spot a potential problem months before it became an issue.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Monty wrote:Not always the case Ross, my ASVs went back twice under warranty because they faded. The Chinese one I have now are 2 years old and haven't faded.
To be fair to ASV they have a lifetime warranty (or some warranty I can't rememebe how long) so easily take back and get a new pair. Hassle but can do that. Chinese ones like i say didn't have any real issue with them they did the job, but had a couple of ASV pairs now and very happy with them

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
D41

Post by D41 »

Parts made in China is one thing....bikes made in China is something else.
They're still a generation behind in manufacturing/quality-control terms.

It's still a "Newly Industrialized Country" ('Developing' as opposed to 'Developed') according to the IMF & The World Bank, who I guess have the job of categorizing that sort of thing.

It doesn't mean they can't put out a good product, but it does decrease the likelihood of it.....that's the way I read it, at least.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Anything can fail regardless of where it is made. I think if there was a serious issue with Chinese made levees it would be all over the internet by now. I suspect many of them are made in the same factory as the Pazzo levers but on the ‘night shift ‘.

I believe many of BMW bike parts are made in China these days.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:.....FWIW Chinese produced copies have increased in quality.....
(nod) Fwiw I totally agree mate, in fact I posted to that effect just the other day in relation to our observed "reduction in longevity of white goods".
Kwacky wrote:Phuck me there's some proper worry buckets about. ..
I have never had a brake lever fail on me, however I have experienced total brake failure in a car. As such I think I can understand Mr Blades motivations in wishing to avoid making a "false economy".?
Kwacky wrote: That thread StM posted is from 2014. That needs to be taken into account.
Yep, and as we agreed the quality of goods appear to be increasing. However, in mitigation; - Blade did ask the question, and I was trying to give a direct & honest answer.
Incidentally, the other fail (that I still can't locate) pre-dated that & involved the lever snapping iirc.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I’ve used numerous pairs of Chinese levers on the D600 and the ZX10R, from various sellers.

But then I’ve crashed and buggered then before they fade or fail from metal fatigue.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I'd have bought them, fitted them and been riding with them by now :D