Talk me out of it....

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: Talk me out of it....

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:/laughs at comments about being unable to sell high mileage bikes

(lol) (lol)
Agreed. I had no problems shifting the RSV which was probably about 40k. Couldn't tell though as the odo kept resetting whenever the battery went flat (facepalm)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

D6Nutz wrote:

(lol) (lol)
Agreed. I had no problems shifting the RSV which was probably about 40k. Couldn't tell though as the odo kept resetting whenever the battery went flat (facepalm)
:D :D :D
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

(lol) (lol)
What would you figure as high mileage on a bike??

Sportbike.

Not a Harley/cruiser....they go for light years.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

dunno but I've sold a few with more than 25,000 miles on it.

It depends on the age and the service history. A regularly used well serviced/maintained 30,000 sportsbike is better than a 5 year old bike with 1,000 miles on it that's only dragged out for a few weekends a year and not looked after in between.

Owner knowledge is key. Some bikes I've seen on the forums with massive mileage are owned by blokes who think nothing of doing their own engine strip downs.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Yeah that was the signal when the guy when quiet on service history. That was the point I walked away
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Kwacky wrote:dunno but I've sold a few with more than 25,000 miles on it.

It depends on the age and the service history. A regularly used well serviced/maintained 30,000 sportsbike is better than a 5 year old bike with 1,000 miles on it that's only dragged out for a few weekends a year and not looked after in between.

Owner knowledge is key. Some bikes I've seen on the forums with massive mileage are owned by blokes who think nothing of doing their own engine strip downs.
I don't disagree.

But most will still shy away when they can buy a bike for similar money with less miles.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Mate, you need to buy this before I do something stupid..... :D

I'm toying with selling my ZX9R, so just thought I'd test the water on here.

It's a 2003 model, currently has about 25000 miles on the clock i think but I'll update this when i get home to check.

It's got Carbon Dymag wheels in perfect condition, Continental race attack tyres, front has done about 2000 miles, rear about 300 miles.

It's got Brembo supersport front discs(about £600 new), Accossato 19/20.radial master cylinder, Accossato clutch perch, Accossato quick action throttle , Harris rearsets, Ohlins shock with remote preload.

I had the forks serviced last summer(about 1000 miles ago) and had K-tech springs and seals fitted.

It's got a double bubble screen, TWM quick release fuel cap, talon sprockets (1 tooth smaller front, 2 teeth bigger rear), R&G crash protectors, R&G bar ends, R&G tank grips and a colour matched seat hump and SBS race sinter front pads.

It's got titanium Akrapovic headers mated to a titanium Ladybird silencer and has an aluminium Ladybird exhaust hanger.

Now, it's a 15 year old bike that's been used and enjoyed so it has a few stone chips and the odd little crack and blemish but nothing major, there's a small crack in the corner of the left headlight but it sailed through the mot and it's not getting any worse.

The subframe and swingarm paint is also bubbling up in a few areas (a common theme on these bikes) and I was going to strip them both off and get them powdercoated at Central Wheel at Coleshill, £75.00 is what they quoted me for both items and I've already purchased the new swingarm bearings to go in for when it does get done.

The other bad part is that there is a small bracing arm on these bikes, that connects the bottom.of the radiator to the engine block. When I got the bike last summer this was loose, I tried nipping up.the bolt and it sheared off...however, the radiator is solid as a rock so I've not worried about it, I was just going to drill it out when I got round to stripping off the subframe and swingarm for powdercoating. It doesn't affect the bike bit I just wanted to be honest.

But all in all, this is a really clean, well looked after bike that pulls like a train(It was set up on the dyno and put out 135bhp at the rear wheel, with the db killer in), so will be putting out around the 140 range with the db killer removed.

Now obviously, the price is going to be quite high for a 2003 ZX9R, but it's the trick parts that bump it up a bit above what you would expect to pay, I'm not desperate to sell but if i can get near to what I want then it can go as I'm not using it very much to be honest .

If I'd had the swingarm and subframe powdercoated and sorted the rad bracing arm bolt, I'd be asking 4 grand but seeing as these still need to be done, I'd be prepared to let it go for around the £3800 mark.

Sounds a lot but if I stripped the bike and sold all the parts I'd be getting a good chunk more than that back.

So, if you fancy owning, what I personally think is probably one of(if not the best)the best , trickest ZX9R's in the uk then here's your chance.

I'm in Northamptonshire by the way.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

cheers mate, does look pretty trick, I have decided im gunna wait until next year now and go on LOTS of Testrides first! but sweet that your thinking of me ;)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's a big, fast and comfortable sportsbike. Ideal for you ;)

I do like these. They are massively underrated. They go on forever.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

The engine on the zx9 is great it's a very under rated bike
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

When you look at that you can really see where the B1H came from, lovely bike.
Monty™© MCMLXXII