Talk me out of it....

The news and your views about biking
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Talk me out of it....

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Or into it.....

Really been missing sportsbikes recently, and my mileage has dropped massively recently as I'm no longer commuting everyday, the bike is now a on sunny days toy. I like the MT, it's helped me regain my confidence after my smash which I needed but I don't love it, that old saying, if you don't turn back around to look after you've parked means you bought the wrong bike....Yeah...that...

Anyway, I was thinking of changing the bike. Now I have no money to put towards a new bike atm so will be £4£ swap basically and just putting the feelers out I've been offered this as a straight swap. I must admit, I am tempted. Input please people.

GSXR1000 K7
30k miles
11 months mot - No advisories
Decent service history

Guy seems decent, had enough of sportsbikes and has back problems, wants an mt09 And saw my putting the feelers out post.....
received_2002009236489782.jpeg
received_2002009409823098.jpeg
received_2002009336489772.jpeg
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Talk me out of it....

Post by Kwacky »

What's the insurance like?
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

About a tenner more a month than I'm paying now from quotes, I'll ring up and ask properly tomorrow as always different when you swap bikes
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Would you love the GSXR more?
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I think the pride of ownership would be higher, like it would feel more special than the MT, assuming I don't end up having to throw money at it coz of its age
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Brake lines and suspension will need to be checked over. Make sure the valve clearances have been done. Give it a bounce on the brakes to make sure nothing squeaks. Check the wheel rims for damage and paint chipping
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

No-one thinks 30K miles is sort of high??
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

The gsxr k7 is a great bike and one of my fave I've owned one. at 4k it's not a bad price .its a pretty comfy sports bike I rode to Europe on mine. It does have a bit of millage on itat 30k Which if you come to sell it will put people off. Looking at it it's not a genuine rizla rep so it prob has stickers and paint or after market. It's not bad for the money however if you want one I would.. sell yours and buy on I would think you could get lower millage with original fairing for a similar price I would say about 4.5k would get you a nice low mileage one and if looked after would sell raiser and lose very little.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Cheers rocket, was sorta hoping you'd comment as I know you've had a few gixxers, looking around it actually seems for a lower miles k7 looking closer to 6k really, found a couple less than that but all up around your neck of the woods, down here prices are so much higher it's insane.

I might see if I can knock him down a bit more and get some cash my way as sweetener.

There is a bit of a plan here in that next year I should be able to afford something newer and I want a sportsbike, but I think going from the mt to a sportsbike means no matter what I get I won't enjoy it at 1st coz it's almost like relearning how to ride one, so I though I get this for a year, get used to the riding position and way a sportsbike handles again and then hopefully enjoy something newer next year without such a big adjustment period if that makes sense
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

CT if it’s not a genuine Rizla Rep, it was probably painted following a ding/off, check the wheel alignment using the string method to see if the chassis/forks are straight, I had a K4 that handled “off” due to a twisted lower brace, found using the string method. HTH.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Cavetroll87 wrote:Cheers rocket, was sorta hoping you'd comment as I know you've had a few gixxers, looking around it actually seems for a lower miles k7 looking closer to 6k really, found a couple less than that but all up around your neck of the woods, down here prices are so much higher it's insane.

I might see if I can knock him down a bit more and get some cash my way as sweetener.

There is a bit of a plan here in that next year I should be able to afford something newer and I want a sportsbike, but I think going from the mt to a sportsbike means no matter what I get I won't enjoy it at 1st coz it's almost like relearning how to ride one, so I though I get this for a year, get used to the riding position and way a sportsbike handles again and then hopefully enjoy something newer next year without such a big adjustment period if that makes sense
For the road I think This generation of 1000cc sports bikes are perfect, better than some of the later bikes especially value for money ( I have gone through quite a few newer bikes looking for another gsxr 1000 k7). They have Loads of power in the right place to overtake and scare your self, decent handling and can keep up with most riders and bikes on the road.

If you are going to look at that bike the calipers are Shite check them out they will need to have been rebuilt at that mileage. If they have not been cared for check the Discs as if they stick and over heat they warp. The master cylinder should have had a recall done .Suzuki do write to you constantly if this has not been done.

The engine is pretty solid. Starter motors are a bit weak. Check the Clutch and listen for a rattle on the basket as they can wear. Gear boxes are pretty slick and strong should be no clunks. Front forks check for any pitting on them the black coating can chip away and its NOT cheap to get them re coated.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Think the insurers have made my mind for me. I can insure the bike with a new insurer for £230 fully comp with tiny excess (basically exactly the same as what I pay now), but my insurers want £270 to change mid policy (taking Monthly premium from £20 a month to £106!) OR £90 to cancel the policy, which is the problem with paying in instalments, but I just don't have £200 to spend in one hit every year at the moment.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

TBH they may have done you a favour. Rightly or wrongly, a bike with 30k plus miles on it is not going to be easy to move on in a years time.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Agreed with duke mate. The bike may ride prefectly well with little to no issues but 30k miles would be hard to budge. Don't blame you for not going for it. You may find something else will pop-up in time

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

must be honest I fancy an R1 more the gsxr anyway, but with the insurance being silly I may have to wait anyway
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

/laughs at comments about being unable to sell high mileage bikes

(lol) (lol)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:TBH they may have done you a favour. Rightly or wrongly, a bike with 30k plus miles on it is not going to be easy to move on in a years time.
Exactly what Duke says plus if it needs brake discs, pads, chain, suspension servicing etc... soon which is all possible at that mileage it could be alot more expensive than 4k and close to 5k.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Im not gunna go through the hassle with my insurers for something I have some doubts about, especially as I can sell mine, pay off the insurer and still have enough money for something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Yamaha- ... %7Ciid%3A1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I prefer those in the white and red
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-r1-20 ... %7Ciid%3A1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

theres a red and white one too, if I sell the MT